• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Humanism Review

I suppose 1 reason is because people like the emotional or psychological comfort believing in being God's special friend brings them.

That's 1. But in the end, fermions and bosons. And any attempt to stray from Nietzsche is because some atheists like the emotional or psychological comfort believing that humanism (or its ilk) matters one whit.

I suppose Christians aren't the only ones in need of comfort.

Does Opie's calls for militarism regarding Russian aggression count as humanism, as he's defined it?

That's 1. But in the end, fermions and bosons. And any attempt to stray from Nietzsche is because some atheists like the emotional or psychological comfort believing that humanism (or its ilk) matters one whit.

Humanism isn't a belief.

Humanism isn't a belief.
Doesn't really matter how you categorize it. It's a philosophy, that in the light of a meaningless and purposelessness universe, gives emotional and phycological meaning to many of its adherents.

Kind of a crutch, if you will.

This post makes absolutely no sense.

1.) There is no objective evidence of a god existing, ever. Christians believe in something that has no evidence of existing. The Abrahamic god, like every other god was as the figment of their imagination by ignorant men who needed to explain what they could not understand and to control gullible people, so the answer to everything for them is "God did it" and they wrote religious apologetics to try to rationalize that illogical claim.

2.) Nietzsche was not a Humanist.

Doesn't really matter how you categorize it. It's a philosophy, that in the light of a meaningless and purposelessness universe, gives emotional and phycological meaning to many of its adherents.

Your 'political lean' says right-libertarian!

I call it what it is. If one cannot deal with reality or that there is no "purpose" to the universe, that's their problem. But that also explains why some people cling to god/s.

I call it what it is. If one cannot deal with reality or that there is no "purpose" to the universe, that's their problem. But that also explains why some people cling to god/s.
Absolutely agree. Just demonstrating that a Christian might not be the only one who might be tempted create purpose where it may seem absent to someone else.

From a Christian's point of view, humanism is just as likely to offer the same salve.

This post makes absolutely no sense.

1.) There is no objective evidence of a god existing, ever. Christians believe in something that has no evidence of existing. The Abrahamic god, like every other god was as the figment of their imagination by ignorant men who needed to explain what they could not understand and to control gullible people, so the answer to everything for them is "God did it" and they wrote religious apologetics to try to rationalize that illogical claim.

2.) Nietzsche was not a Humanist.
From the OP link...."in the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.” Just seems it could be possible that an atheist, lacking emotional comfort, might want to subscribe to a purposeful live, while in the midst of an obviously purposeless universe. Science tells us that fermions and bosons are the only building blocks to the universe, the earth, and the 3-pound ball of fat between your ears that just responded to my post.

Of course Nietzsche wasn't a humanist. Probably too honest with his place in a purposeless universe.

What matters to you?

What do you use as a crutch? Hatefulness towards others?

Absolutely agree. Just demonstrating that a Christian might not be the only one who might be tempted create purpose where it may seem absent to someone else.

From a Christian's point of view, humanism is just as likely to offer the same salve.

You have no purpose to your living whatsoever?

From the OP link...."in the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.” Just seems it could be possible that an atheist, lacking emotional comfort, might want to subscribe to a purposeful live, while in the midst of an obviously purposeless universe. Science tells us that fermions and bosons are the only building blocks to the universe, the earth, and the 3-pound ball of fat between your ears that just responded to my post.

Of course Nietzsche wasn't a humanist. Probably too honest with his place in a purposeless universe.

Why did he even do any philosophizing if it is a purposeless universe? What really was the point?

Back
Top Bottom