• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

57 percent of voters say they won’t support Trump in 2020

trump-beats-clinton-era-record-for-longest-government-shutdown-2-400x240.jpg

I like John Kasich myself, but I'm done with the Republican Party for a long, long time. Unfortunately, this country will have to weather another 21+ months of President Hamberders.

Related: Trump loses support among his core voting groups as the shutdown drags on, polls say

Is that the same 57% who voted for Hillary in the 2016 election? Too bad they lost and too bad they will not be happy until some bozo they like replaces him.

Exactly. And I’d be willing to wager that if the Dems come up with a halfway decent moderate candidate Trump would be beaten by a larger margin than his victory over Clinton.

I agree, someone like Biden would have racked up 55%, perhaps more of the total vote higher than Hillary's 48%. Trump would have received less than the 46% he received, based on the independent vote. We know 90% of Republicans and 90% of Democrats will vote for their candidates regardless of whom they are. That leaves independents to decide who wins. 51% of independents had a very unfavorable view of Hillary, really disliked her a lot. 46% had the very unfavorable view of Trump, disliked him a lot. Those folks aren't going to vote for those who they really dislike and don't want to become the their next president. 12% of independents who really disliked both major party candidates voted third party, against both Trump and Clinton.

Now Biden had a 57% favorable/32% unfavorable in November of 2016. No breakdown between very favorable and somewhat favorable. Trump had a 40% favorable, adding very favorable with somewhat favorable and a total of 57% unfavorable, again adding the somewhat and very together. Independents gave Hillary 42% of their vote, my guess considering Trumps favorables/unfavorables vs. Bidens, Biden would have received at least 55% of the independent vote. Most of that 12% who disliked both Clinton and Trump would have voted for Biden instead of third party.

That is pure speculation on my part. But probably in the ballpark.

Only 57%? man, there still are a lot of idiots and scumbags out there.

WTF does this guy have to do to get these fools to see he is an incompetent, corrupt fool?

What I really don't understand is why the GOP is so willing to go over the cliff with trump? Do they not understand most of america is tired of their antics? Do they not understand with their current behavior and support of trump they are painting themselves into a no win corner? If the republican senators vote with trump, sane americans will vote them out next time they are up for reelection. If they vote against trump, their own base will crucify them.

I wonder what Russians have on McConnel and other senate republicans that won't vote on a budget, but voted to get rid of russian sanctions. It's madness

Can you give some examples of what you mean?
I would need to sift through old video when he was on the air. His positions were somewhat moderate then but he is an outright progressive these days.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree, someone like Biden would have racked up 55%, perhaps more of the total vote higher than Hillary's 48%. Trump would have received less than the 46% he received, based on the independent vote. We know 90% of Republicans and 90% of Democrats will vote for their candidates regardless of whom they are. That leaves independents to decide who wins. 51% of independents had a very unfavorable view of Hillary, really disliked her a lot. 46% had the very unfavorable view of Trump, disliked him a lot. Those folks aren't going to vote for those who they really dislike and don't want to become the their next president. 12% of independents who really disliked both major party candidates voted third party, against both Trump and Clinton.

Now Biden had a 57% favorable/32% unfavorable in November of 2016. No breakdown between very favorable and somewhat favorable. Trump had a 40% favorable, adding very favorable with somewhat favorable and a total of 57% unfavorable, again adding the somewhat and very together. Independents gave Hillary 42% of their vote, my guess considering Trumps favorables/unfavorables vs. Bidens, Biden would have received at least 55% of the independent vote. Most of that 12% who disliked both Clinton and Trump would have voted for Biden instead of third party.

I am seriously doubting the independents will give another shot to trump and those dems who did vote for him last time, probably won't vote for him again. He has a two year record of mass hysteria going for him and not much more. I actually don't expect the senate to stay republican either.

Completely agree. Had Biden wanted the nomination he would have easily gotten it over Clinton (IMO), and then soundly trounced Trump.

I wonder if Biden regrets that decision. Especially considering his late son’s encouraging him to run.

Election is almost 2 years away. Trump is president. Those figures will change in Trump's favor.
Wishful thinking. What reason do you have for believing things will get better for Trump?

Wishful thinking. What reason do you have for believing things will get better for Trump?

What reason do you believe they won't? One success and Trump is in. And it can be proven the resistors of Trump are only doing that.

What reason do you believe they won't? One success and Trump is in. And it can be proven the resistors of Trump are only doing that.
That one success had better be a doozy, like bringing about world peace or creating a cure for cancer, otherwise he’s got one hell of a challenge overcoming all of his lies and misdeeds (cozying up to dictators while attacking allies, ripping children away from their parents, making reckless national defense decisions, seeking/accepting terrible counsel from far right characters including Coulter, Hannity, and Limbaugh, shutting down the government needlessly causing hardship for over 800,000 Americans. The list is long and growing longer every day.).

That one success had better be a doozy, like bringing about world peace or creating a cure for cancer, otherwise he’s got one hell of a challenge overcoming all of his lies and misdeeds (cozying up to dictators while attacking allies, ripping children away from their parents, making reckless national defense decisions, seeking/accepting terrible counsel from far right characters including Coulter, Hannity, and Limbaugh, shutting down the government needlessly causing hardship for over 800,000 Americans. The list is long and growing longer every day.).

All Trump has to do is get congress to compromise and pass border security. If that can't be done, people will see some in congress as resistors of Trump and not do-gooders for the nation. Then people will clamor for term limits. So, congresscritters better find some common ground in which to agree...however, I think it's already too late for congress and term limits. Lobbyist legislation won't be far behind.

All Trump has to do is get congress to compromise and pass border security. If that can't be done, people will see some in congress as resistors of Trump and not do-gooders for the nation. Then people will clamor for term limits. So, congresscritters better find some common ground in which to agree...however, I think it's already too late for congress and term limits. Lobbyist legislation won't be far behind.

Don’t be surprised if the Senate ends up passing a veto proof resolution reopening the government. Constituents are pissed and they’re making their representatives aware of it.

I am seriously doubting the independents will give another shot to trump and those dems who did vote for him last time, probably won't vote for him again. He has a two year record of mass hysteria going for him and not much more. I actually don't expect the senate to stay republican either.

A couple of stats that may back up what you say. In 2016 46% of independents voted for Trump, 42% for Hillary Clinton, while 12% voted third party. Against both. In 2018, 54% of independents voted for the Democratic congressional candidates. An increase of 12 points over 2016. Whether that is significant that 12% voted third party in 2016 and the increase voting for Democratic candidates was also 12%. You decide. There was no Hillary Clinton on the ballot in 2018 to counter the independents dislike of Trump.

That dislike of Trump among independents has increased from 41% on inauguration day to 53% today. History has shown one usually doesn't vote for someone you dislike. Remember, the Democratic Party is still the larger of the two major parties. If the Republican candidate, Trump, doesn't win independents, he loses the election. All the democrats have to do in 2020 is to nominate someone who isn't as disliked as much as Trump in order to ensure victory. Of course, that is all they had to do in 2016 and didn't.

Personally, I think a fresh, young face from flyover country. ALA Obama, Illinois, Bill Clinton, Arkansas, Jimmy Carter, Georgia and not some tired out old liberal from the Northeast would guarantee a landslide victory. Those Liberals from the Northeast haven't done so good. Hillary, New York, Kerry Massachusetts, Dukakis Massachusetts all lost. It would be hard for the Democrats to find someone as disliked by America as a whole as Hillary was. But then again, it is democrats who nominate their own candidate, not America as a whole. Time will tell. But at the moment, Trump's chances for reelection is looking pretty dog gone bleak. It may all depend on whom the democrats nominate.

Don’t be surprised if the Senate ends up passing a veto proof resolution reopening the government. Constituents are pissed and they’re making their representatives aware of it.

Trump has two foes in this who have lower approval ratings than him: Senate and the press. He will win this if he hits those two institutions hard.

Trump has two foes in this who have lower approval ratings than him: Senate and the press. He will win this if he hits those two institutions hard.
Uh huh. Sure.

Get back to us in November of 2020, 'til then this is lw mental masturbation.

Uh huh. Sure.

trump-beats-clinton-era-record-for-longest-government-shutdown-2-400x240.jpg

I like John Kasich myself, but I'm done with the Republican Party for a long, long time. Unfortunately, this country will have to weather another 21+ months of President Hamberders.

Related: Trump loses support among his core voting groups as the shutdown drags on, polls say

And I meant congress not Senate. That's been Trump's plan of attack all along once he realized the phony Mueller investigation couldn't be touched. This thing to turn things around for Trump will be easier than you and the OP think. But then again, you guys and the press and congress can't seem to get out of each other's way. And since you guys can't seem to get out of each other's way, it's not a clear cut narrative that the majority hates Trump. If that were so, a clear cut majority would believe anything bad about Trump (not just you and the OP). This atmosphere also isn't like Watergate and the Vietnam protests as the deranged OP chides.

Last edited:
And I meant congress not Senate. That's been Trump's plan of attack all along once he realized the phony Mueller investigation couldn't be touched. This thing to turn things around for Trump will be easier than you and the OP think. But then again, you guys and the press and congress can't seem to get out of each other's way. And since you guys can't seem to get out of each other's way, it's not a clear cut narrative that the majority hates Trump. If that were so, a clear cut majority would believe anything bad about Trump (not just you and the OP). This atmosphere also isn't like Watergate and the Vietnam protests as the deranged OP chides.
Uh huh. Sure.

Back
Top Bottom