• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

512 Paths to the White House

512 Paths to the White House - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

A fantastic visualization of the various paths to the White House. I'm sorry conservative brethren, but the road ahead looks nigh impassable. For people who think Romney will win, which path do you predict he'll get there by?

are you someone who is hoping Obama wins so you can damn the GOP for not picking a social fascist? citing the NYT at this point is rather worthless given its doing everything possible to suppress pro Romney votes

are you someone who is hoping Obama wins so you can damn the GOP for not picking a social fascist? citing the NYT at this point is rather worthless given its doing everything possible to suppress pro Romney votes

An Obama victory is the last thing I'm hoping for. This isn't a cite of the NYT. It's an interactive map of the various paths to the White House.

NY Times lays out the election the clearest way possible

What this nifty still gizmo does is basically remove every decided state from the equation and lay out the remaining battleground states in such a fashion as to display every possible combination of how those states could turn out, and using that data shows the combinations were Obama wins and those were Romney wins. While it doesn't take into account polls, like Romney's good lead in North Carolina or Obama's in Wisconsin, it does show that Obama has a much shorter route to victory and many more ways to get there.

Its tough to foresee a Romney victory in a few days

An Obama victory is the last thing I'm hoping for. This isn't a cite of the NYT. It's an interactive map of the various paths to the White House.

So I ask what was your purpose of posting that? its amazing the number of so called conservatives who seem to be defeatist, the lefties are not going that

Re: NY Times lays out the election the clearest way possible

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged.

Dude there's nothing biased about this, its nothing but facts how can you deny this is the situation in the election?

So I ask what was your purpose of posting that? its amazing the number of so called conservatives who seem to be defeatist, the lefties are not going that

I posted the graphic for members to use and make predictions. My editorial was based on the fact that Romney has a much tougher path to victory than Obama does.

The post realistic path to a Romney victory that I can see is he wins Florida and North Carolina (both likely from my knowledge) and picks up VA, CO, NH, IA, NV with Obama taking WI and OH.

The post realistic path to a Romney victory that I can see is he wins Florida and North Carolina (both likely from my knowledge) and picks up VA, CO, NH, IA, NV with Obama taking WI and OH.

I have seen internal polling data on Ohio I suspect that those who are counting Ohio as an Obama win might be surprised. Romney drew 30K plus last night. Michele Obama got 2600 at Miami University. Obama is here tomorrow at UC-where many of those attending cannot vote in Ohio

Jack Nicklaus and Gold Medalist Scott Hamilton are coming to Cincinnati tomorrow for Romney

the secretary of state is now suggesting that there is going to be problems with provisional ballots due to people requesting absentee ballots, not filling them out and then voting in person

I have seen internal polling data on Ohio I suspect that those who are counting Ohio as an Obama win might be surprised. Romney drew 30K plus last night. Michele Obama got 2600 at Miami University. Obama is here tomorrow at UC-where many of those attending cannot vote in Ohio

Jack Nicklaus and Gold Medalist Scott Hamilton are coming to Cincinnati tomorrow for Romney

the secretary of state is now suggesting that there is going to be problems with provisional ballots due to people requesting absentee ballots, not filling them out and then voting in person

This is my hope for Tuesday. If Romney can take Ohio, he'll likely win the White House.

What about the polls?

Fla, NC, Col, Ohio and Va or Wis. Plus the NY Times assumes Pa. is not in play. I disagree.

I think the only possible exclusions from the graphic are MI and PA... but I think Romney taking those states is a pipe dream at this point.

I think the only possible exclusions from the graphic are MI and PA... but I think Romney taking those states is a pipe dream at this point.

Michigan is a pipe dream not Pa. In 2010 both state houses and 2/3 of Congressional seats were won by republicans. Corbett and Toomey won statewide. The polls are close and 11 million dollars worth of Romney ads went up in the past week along with robo calls by PACs. Romney is campaigning in suburban Phila. tomorrow. The western part of the state is coal country. I live in Montgomery Co. in suburban Phila. which went heavily for Obama in 2008 and the intensity and support for Obama is nothing like it was.

Very cool graphic. Thanks for posting.

A fantastic visualization of the various paths to the White House. I'm sorry conservative brethren, but the road ahead looks nigh impassable. For people who think Romney will win, which path do you predict he'll get there by?

I have Romney winning and the election called before midnight...

I have Romney taking Illinois and potentially New York.... If Romney wins either the election is over.

I have Romney taking Illinois and potentially New York.... If Romney wins either the election is over.

new York and Illinois> hmmmm

6RWu2.gif

:lol:
It's just a flowchart based on simple electoral mathematics. There's literally no element of opinion in it at all; if Romney wins certain combinations of states, he wins the election. If Obama wins certain combinations of states, he wins the election. And lashing out at other people (or the NYT itself) because you don't like the numbers does not change the numbers.

Really, in terms of realistic hopes...it's coming down to winning Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina and pairing that with either Colorado, Iowa, or New Hampshire.

Romney is down 2.5% or better in each of those three according to RCP. If he can put together the big 4 plus any of those 3, that's his best shot.

If he loses Virginia or North Carolina out of the big four, he's going to need all three rather than one of the three.

If he doesn't win Ohio out of the above big four, the only realistic path I see would be Colorado, Iowa, and New Hampshire along with Nevada (that's at 2.8% Obama)

new York and Illinois> hmmmm

Illinois is 90% red.

Chicago/Crook County lost a lot of population (20%) over the past decade.

I use numbers to determine electoral votes...

Romney could win New York because the storm messed the city up really nice - and like Illinois many counties in New York are conservative.

I see masses going to vote Obama out of office and a bunch of those who got Obama elected last time not voting, voting for Romney or voting 3rd party....

Hell, allegedly the popular vote is 50/50 so if Illinois, New York, California etc are locks then what does that say about the other states? Obviously they would have to be in Romneys favor...

Thanks for the laugh.

Fla, NC, Col, Ohio and Va or Wis. Plus the NY Times assumes Pa. is not in play. I disagree.

Wisconsin is no longer "in play" 538 shows that most polls have Obama up by as much as 8 points. He has Ohio up by as many as 5. But we won't really know until Tuesday.

I seriously doubt Romney will win Iowa or Nevada.

Back
Top Bottom