• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

15 killed in major vehicle crash in Imperial County, California

Noodlegawd

Somebody you used to know
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

A multiple vehicle crash in Imperial County, California, on Tuesday morning left at least 12 people dead, California Highway Patrol Officer Arturo Platero told CNN.
A vehicle was traveling westbound on Norrish Road near State Route 115 when it traveled "in the direct path" of a big rig truck traveling northbound on the 115, Platero said. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

When are our representatives in Congress going to recognize this national epidemic of highway carnage as a public health emergency, and pass some common sense laws to put an end to it?

When are our representatives in Congress going to recognize this national epidemic of highway carnage as a public health emergency, and pass some common sense laws to put an end to it?

You want them to legislate against accidents? How would that work?

Holy crap! The article states that there were 27 people in the SUV--27!

There were 27 passengers in the SUV that struck a semi-truck full of gravel, said Judy Cruz, the managing director of the Emergency Room Department at El Centro Regional Medical Center.
She said 14 people were dead on the scene, and another person died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

How the hell do you squeeze 27 people into an SUV?

Holy crap! The article states that there were 27 people in the SUV--27!

How the hell do you squeeze 27 people into an SUV?
Based on where it happened I would guess Coyotes crammed a whole bunch of people into a suburban and were running them north.

For years I've wanted politicians to take motor vehicle deaths more seriously, as we have way too many of them. If that's your point then I agree.

Now if this is supposed to be a rally against lifesaving, anti-coronavirus measures, then you should know that a good government can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. :)

Based on where it happened I would guess Coyotes crammed a whole bunch of people into a suburban and were running them north.
Yeah, I see that as I read further. Another source said the Ford SUV was designed for 8 people max.
210302-bus-crash-imperial-california-ew-1228p_33acb130e5bb31177293bfc0b54683c2.fit-2000w.jpg

This looks like a 1 or 2 dead, at most, accident if properly seated and belted.

Without any more information regarding that, this theory seems quite plausible. I thought it was a multi-vehicle crash, but it's essentially just 2.

Very weak attempt to turn tragic fatalities that have nothing to do with politics into something political.

Very weak attempt to turn tragic fatalities that have nothing to do with politics into something political.

How does it have nothing to do with politics? Our laws relating to road safety are passed by politicians.

Do you have the same reaction every time someone who is "very liberal" demands stricter gun laws in response to a mass shooting? They're turning "tragic fatalities" into something political?

You want them to legislate against accidents? How would that work?

I'm just going to assume that this is not a serious comment, because it can't be. I almost never agree with you but I'm pretty sure you're not stupid.

a good government can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. :)

Yet somehow they choose not to.

I'm just going to assume that this is not a serious comment, because it can't be. I almost never agree with you but I'm pretty sure you're not stupid.

Thank you! But I don’t feel the same about your posts so I was curious if you could clarify.

Thank you! But I don’t feel the same about your posts so I was curious if you could clarify.

You do understand that we have traffic laws, however weak, that are intended to prevent accidents, right?

Please give some examples of the "common sense laws" you would like to see passed?

In my lifetime alone, "common sense laws" like mandating seatbelt use, airbag installations, child seats, signage and traffic signals, increasing size and number of break lights, and national speed limits, have all resulted in reducing carnage on the roads. But I'm old enough to remember. Perhaps you're young.

They already have, decades ago.
Everything from traffic laws, speed limits etc, government mandated safety standards for automobiles that grow ever more stringent, driver licensing, mandatory driver training, mandatory liability insurance, et al.

Thats why there aren't 3 times more traffic fatalities than there are.

Are you just trying to make a rather invalid and ignorant comparison to firearms in the USA? If so: you've come up short.

You do understand that we have traffic laws, however weak, that are intended to prevent accidents, right?
If everyone obeyed the all traffic laws all the time, there would be very few accidents on the road.

That said,

Slower Traffic Keep Right Dammit!

(And, for overloaded SUVs, on your own damn side of the road!)

In my lifetime alone, "common sense laws" like mandating seatbelt use, airbag installations, child seats, signage and traffic signals, increasing size and number of break lights, and national speed limits, have all resulted in reducing carnage on the roads. But I'm old enough to remember. Perhaps you're young.

All those things have resulted in the US having "only" 40,000 highway fatalities per year, many of them easily preventable with stricter laws.

All those things have resulted in the US having "only" 40,000 highway fatalities per year, many of them easily preventable with stricter laws.
US: 1.13 deaths per 100 million miles traveled.

I'd say that's pretty damned good odds that you won't die in a car crash.

I don't understand why what is probably the devastating carnage of smuggling 2 dozen human beings in a SUV is a public health emergency.

I seem to recall that we've addressed this before. Vehicle fatalities are directly proportional to travel speed. Are you willing to set the national speed limit to 25mph? Yes or no? Have you considered all the ramifications of a "yes" answer?

I get the impression you think 40,000 fatalities is a lot. But is it?
"WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) released new data today showing total U.S. driving in 2018 surged to a record-setting 3.225 trillion vehicle-miles traveled (VMT)."

How many highway fatalities should we have if 300 MILLION Americans traveled 3.225 TRILLION VEHICLE-MILES ??

A maroon Ford Expedition filled with 25 passengers was hit by a semitruck full of gravel, the California Highway Patrol said.

The dead ranged in age between 20 and 55 while the injured were between 16 and 55, authorities said.

An area hospital had initially said at least 15 had died, but CHP later clarified the numbers.

Can we legislate coyotes smuggling humans across Biden's porous border?

US: 1.13 deaths per 100 million miles traveled.

I'd say that's pretty damned good odds that you won't die in a car crash.

40,000 per year is not enough for you to do something then?

That's 1 in 8200 people in the US, every year. That works out to roughly a 1% chance of dying in a car accident in your lifetime.

I seem to recall that we've addressed this before. Vehicle fatalities are directly proportional to travel speed. Are you willing to set the national speed limit to 25mph? Yes or no? Have you considered all the ramifications of a "yes" answer?

I get the impression you think 40,000 fatalities is a lot. But is it?
"WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) released new data today showing total U.S. driving in 2018 surged to a record-setting 3.225 trillion vehicle-miles traveled (VMT)."

How many highway fatalities should we have if 300 MILLION Americans traveled 3.225 TRILLION VEHICLE-MILES ??

Do I have to be willing to set it at 25mph for us to do anything? Then again, why not, at least in populated areas? Seems like it could have all kinds of positive side-effects besides saving lives.

Back
Top Bottom