• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 Most Popular German Authors of the 18th-20th Century

Which of these do you know by name - whether you have read them or not?

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

10 Most Popular German Authors of the 18th-20th Century​

Which of these do you know by name - whether you have read them or not?

German authors that were geniuses of their time and continue to inspire us today. 18th – 20th century literature.

I have been reading a lot more these days (due to COVID-19 restrictions) and realized I have not read many works of literature written by German authors. Of course I’d heard of Goethe, Mann, etc., but my preconceptions of German literature held me back. Little did I know what I was missing. Especially interesting are their own personal stories. I have summarized as best as I could, for your own amusement.

One thing was missing during my search for Best German Authors. I didn’t encounter many female names on the lists. So I started searching for Famous Female German Authors. What I encountered was disappointing, but not surprising. There are a number of women poets, novelists, etc, but their works have never been translated. This is one of the biggest barriers against receiving international acclaim. I still managed to find two female German authors /poets/novelists, now considered the greatest of their time, in their own genre.

I know all of them - except Sophie von La Roche

about Sophie von La Roche

Sophie von La Roche (December 6, 1731 – February 18, 1807) is considered to be the first financially independent professional German author. She was raised in an extremely pious household, which was reflected in her literary works. The spirit of the Enlightenment Period and women’s education permeates through her writing.

Now already 2 of 2 say: Günter Grass

17519149220.jpg

And here are the top ten British writers:

4 of 4 say Grass :)

You forgot Heidegger, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche.

Does Emmanuel Kant also count?

You forgot Heidegger, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche.

Does Emmanuel Kant also count?
there are ten names …. so i forgot nobody

Everyone know about Goethe. And I heard of Thomas Mann, and I read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse in college.

I also read some of Erich Fromm's works. Should he be on the list? Or would he be more of a psychoanalyst and philosopher than an author?

Everyone know about Goethe. And I heard of Thomas Mann, and I read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse in college.

I also read some of Erich Fromm's works. Should he be on the list? Or would he be more of a psychoanalyst and philosopher than an author?
both

Back
Top Bottom