• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1 person dead, 2 suspects in custody following shooting at Denver protests: Police

This isn't the photo I saw elsewhere, but it's lightened to show his weapon.

View attachment 67299679
Ahh didn't see that yet. So right handed cross draw, with possibly extra magazines on the right hip. Do you really think Dolloff thought he was going to unholster that gun with his left arm? The problem is no hesitation from draw to aim to fire, at each step he should be reevaluating the scenario. He easily drew, aimed and fired before the hand even went towards the pistol. After the aim he should have held and backed away, if he grabs the gun, ok, maybe then you shoot, but you draw and aim before he even reaches? Keltner used fighting words to make threats, but he did not make a threat of deadly force. I think it was unreasonable to even go for the gun at that point instead of continuing to back himself and his charge up.

This is a confusing part for me. I showed the photo of him lying on the ground and whatever objects were on his right side. I do think the black object looks like a gun. But the object others have now focused on is on his left side. Is it possible that police weren't including Dolloff's weapon in the "two guns and mace" and Keltner had two?

He's got a legal issue in the past for breaking a restraining order, and a more recent disorderly conduct (I think it was) but had that restraining order issue been solved or was he carrying illegally. Dolloff did have a CCW which has been suspended for now btw.
I haven't heard anything about the CCW status of Keltner, but he was pro-police and was barely concealed carrying around police so I think it's safe to assume he was armed legally, or at least he thought so.

One more thing about the reaching, because that seems to be our biggest sticking point. Watch Dolloff's right arm in the shadow, and you can see it go down and back, his elbow pointing back. Keltner's arm movement was completely different. He would have had to reach forward around his vest, elbow sticking out away from his body, to reach his gun, but his hand is up at his chest, and his elbow is tucked into him. That is a reflexive defensive posture.

Unlicensed security guard Matthew Dolloff will be charged with murder in the 2nd degree

If convicted, this charge carries a mandatory prison sentence of between 16 and 48 years.

When asked about the case the day after the shooting, before any charges had been filed, criminal defense attorney Christopher Decker said there is no definite answer about if Dolloff can argue this was a case of self-defense.

Unlicensed security guard Matthew Dolloff will be charged with murder in the 2nd degree

If convicted, this charge carries a mandatory prison sentence of between 16 and 48 years.

When asked about the case the day after the shooting, before any charges had been filed, criminal defense attorney Christopher Decker said there is no definite answer about if Dolloff can argue this was a case of self-defense.

Well, yeah. That's the entire point of a trial. His lawyer would be negligent if he didn't raise an affirmative defense, even if it's just as a plea-bargaining tool.

I guess that will take the wind out of the sails for the group who's decided this was all a pre-planned coordination to take out a patriot.

It will be an interesting trial.

Interesting. That was quick. They must be pretty confident of conviction.

I guess that will take the wind out of the sails for the group who's decided this was all a pre-planned coordination to take out a patriot.

It will be an interesting trial.
There's enough video and images of the event, it'll be short if the shooter doesn't fold and plea something.

They just decided to file charges against those park officers who killed a guy 3 years ago, so relatively quick, yeah. Not as quick as they charged Kyle Rittenhouse though.

Overall it shows the idiocy of people carrying guns for self protection

The shooter, in my opinion can claim self defense as it certainly looks like the guy who was shot was raising his hand up. That probably caused him to react as if he was in danger (training) The guy who was shot of course I am sure felt his life was in danger because the other person had a gun in his hands. He was spoiling for a fight as seen from video from earlier in the day, and would be alive today if he backed down and retreated

Stupidity on both sides, and I would hate to be on the jury, as I could easily see both sides of the issue

Second-degree murder with a mandatory prison sentence of 16 to 48 years if convicted. Sounds right to me so long as it's on the longer side. Looks like he got pissed that his hat was knocked off, and shot the victim in the head. There is no evidence of the victim "reaching into his pocket" or his vest, as the defense has claimed.

Second-degree murder with a mandatory prison sentence of 16 to 48 years if convicted. Sounds right to me so long as it's on the longer side. Looks like he got pissed that his hat was knocked off, and shot the victim in the head. There is no evidence of the victim "reaching into his pocket" or his vest, as the defense has claimed.
The arrest affidavit references the shooting and the argument with BGM guy being captured on HALO security cameras. I don't have time right now, but if you cross reference the location of the shooting with this map of the cameras we could see what the angle is and what would have been captured.

The arrest affidavit references the shooting and the argument with BGM guy being captured on HALO security cameras. I don't have time right now, but if you cross reference the location of the shooting with this map of the cameras we could see what the angle is and what would have been captured.
Looks like front and back views, approximately equidistant.

20201017_163443.jpg

A judge in Denver, Colorado cast doubt on Wednesday regarding whether a security guard can beat a murder charge in the shooting death of a police supporter.

“The evidence of which the Court is presently aware appears to show that, at the time of the shooting, there was no danger from the victim that placed the Defendant or anyone else in imminent risk of death or great bodily injury, and that the victim was backing away from the Defendant holding a can of mace,” the judge wrote.

A judge in Denver, Colorado cast doubt on Wednesday regarding whether a security guard can beat a murder charge in the shooting death of a police supporter.

“The evidence of which the Court is presently aware appears to show that, at the time of the shooting, there was no danger from the victim that placed the Defendant or anyone else in imminent risk of death or great bodily injury, and that the victim was backing away from the Defendant holding a can of mace,” the judge wrote.
Yeh, probably good to keep his bond high. Barring new evidence, of course.

The families of the victim should also sue the news network that hired the shooter too.

Back
Top Bottom