• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do paragraphs matter?

You're using simplistic examples.

Try 500 or 5000 words w/o a break.
Nevermind.

It was to explain the topic, and I give up. The point isn't that a longer text is hard to read. I posted a long sample previously. The point was the question about it the thread is about, that you missed, and I give up trying to help with.

Nevermind.

It was to explain the topic, and I give up. The point isn't that a longer text is hard to read. I posted a long sample previously. The point was the question about it the thread is about, that you missed, and I give up trying to help with.

I think I understand what you're trying to say, Craig234, I just don't necessarily agree.

I think I understand what you're trying to say, Craig234, I just don't necessarily agree.
That very statement suggests you don't, and your other posts pretty much confirm it.

That very statement suggests you don't, and your other posts pretty much confirm it.

Alright, then we may as well let this lay, (with no animus on my part), because I do believe you're sincere here.

Alright, then we may as well let this lay, (with no animus on my part), because I do believe you're sincere here.
Yes, no animus, it just doesn't seem we're going to communicate on this topic.

When we're reading written text, we're just looking at words in order, at the speed we want.

So what the hell does it matter whether it's broken into paragraphs or not?

Whether you read

Comment 1

Comment 2

Comment 3

or Comment 1 Comment 2 Comment 3

Your eyes read the same letters with the same meaning in the same order. Why does it matter whether there was some space between them?

Yet paragraphs have a huge impact. Not only as a reaction, but even if I'm thinking 'paragraphs shouldn't matter, just read the text as if it had them', long paragraphs are still hard to read.

It doesn't really make any sense why. It's not speech, where the speed a person is talking, the pauses they take, are relevant. Want a break reading a paragraph? Wait a moment before going on to the next sentence. Rationally that should be fine, but it's not.

It's not really that different with other 'white space' or punctuation. If there weren't any periods, it wouldn't change the words; you could stop if you want. But having that period makes it more readable. So Comment 1. Comment 2. Is quite different than Comment 1 comment 2.

So it seems that replicating speech patterns in written text - pause here, take a break there - is more important than makes any sense for it to be. Again you could have the same pauses and breaks if you want without the white space.

Try reading an overly long paragraph, and it's hard to get through. It's as if the whole thing gets jumbled and grows in weight so you can't stand to keep reading it, all because there aren't a few blank lines.

It's strange.
Periods and paragraphs denote a complete thought. It's an organizational thing and visually they absolutely matter. Eye strain and reading fatigue are greatly reduced with their use.

Take a graphic design class and learn about how eyes naturally flow through a page or art piece and the reasons things are designed a certain way because of that flow, visual weight, repetition, etc.

Periods and paragraphs denote a complete thought. It's an organizational thing and visually they absolutely matter. Eye strain and reading fatigue are greatly reduced with their use.

Take a graphic design class and learn about how eyes naturally flow through a page or art piece and the reasons things are designed a certain way because of that flow, visual weight, repetition, etc.
[emphasis added by bubba]

any data reflecting that positive outcome of punctuation useage available to share with us?

Like others, you are missing the point, though. The question isn't whether it's 'better' to have the space, whether it has the benefit you mention. The topic, yet again, is why people can't better adjust to not having it.

Why can't people pause after one of those same places, and just take a break for a second and get the effect? It's harder than makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom