• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Evangelicals are Going Moderate. How Will Conservative Churches Respond?

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Political and social justice movements have contributed to the decline of American evangelicalism and the rise of more moderate Protestant sects.

Excerpts:

(CN) — On Independence Day, Belinda Kleeberger finally broke free.

The 66-year-old grandmother had only ever known her American Baptist church in small-town Maine. She had attended services there for six decades and was a leader in the church.
Kleeberger saw right-leaning political rhetoric grow there for the last few years, but the Fourth of July service was too much.
“Now it seems Jesus sat down with the Founding Fathers and helped them write the Constitution,” Kleeberger said. “I need a Jesus that transcends all that.”

She told her pastor that she needed to find another way. The conversation wasn’t easy, considering the pastor is Kleeberger’s sister-in-law.

Carolyn Wilkinson departed from her Southern Baptist Convention church in 2016.

Wilkinson had worshipped and studied many Western and Eastern disciplines; she was once a practicing Wiccan. Her fellow churchgoers wouldn’t let go of her past.

“No matter what, I was always going to be Carolyn the Witch,” the 54-year-old Maryland resident said.

Kleeberger and Wilkinson are part of a growing exodus from white evangelicalism.

White mainline Protestants now outnumber white Evangelicals, according to an extensive survey released July 8 by the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonpartisan, nonprofit polling organization.

More on this subject within the link above.

The person in this story is an exception to the rule. (She was a former Wiccan).

I'm guessing that if she had never experienced a different perspective, we wouldn't be hearing her story of breaking free from the church.

A bit stray from the topic but still going more moderate...

My answer to the thread question is I am a member of the RC Church, and belong to the same church as Joe Biden. That means we faithful RC(s) aren't going to get more moderate by believing abortion is anything other than wrong, or a mortal sin.

I do understand the need to separate personal religious belief in order to keep freedom from religion a constitutionally protected right. This is perhaps one of the few things both Joe and I agree upon. The government keeping womens' choice intact.

I am calling bullshit on this one because although we might see a few sprouts of moderate evangelicals here and there, the now MAINSTREAM radicalized politicized prosperity gospel hucksterite evangelical movement will never ever let go of the hundreds of billions in assets it now commands.

Fanatics are dangerous to democracy because they're incompetent. Fanatics with an enormous fortune are dangerous because history shows they finance planet gobbling holy wars, one of which in the Middle East has lasted ONE THOUSAND YEARS.

See you in a thousand years, and what you will NOT see is a moderate evangelical majority.
They're on life support now and they will be dead shortly.

On a more general note, I'm happy that christianity is in continuing decline in the US although what might replace it might be scary.

The person in this story is an exception to the rule. (She was a former Wiccan).

I'm guessing that if she had never experienced a different perspective, we wouldn't be hearing her story of breaking free from the church.
There are two woman in th story who eschewed evangelism. The first one was never a wiccan. Your guess is incorrect.

I guess that depends on what is a 'faithful' Catholic. Is that a new phrase for 'true' Catholic??? Many Catholics do believe in abortion and birth control. I guess they aren't 'faithful'... FYI the Church's stance on abortion and birth control is Church doctrine, not Biblical...

Many Catholics do not believe in abortion.

Many Catholics do not believe in abortion.
Many do and birth control... Pew, in 2019 found 56% of Catholics believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases. Gallup says 82% of Catholics believe birth control is morally acceptable....

It’s called situational Christianity. The Southern Baptist are going through a split. Some will now allow gays to be married in church and women preaching from the pulpit. Others will not

The good news is that there are evangelicals of all denominations, and they aren't "radicalized politicized prosperity gospel hucksterites."

The good news is that there are evangelicals of all denominations, and they aren't "radicalized politicized prosperity gospel hucksterites."
they aren't ALL, because there are some.

Your point?
your statement said "they aren't "radicalized politicized prosperity gospel hucksterites."
I said "they aren't all, but some are."

All I am saying is to tote up the assets of the radicalized sects and compare to the rest.
The evangelical church Jimmy Carter and his wife go to isn't a 200 million dollar mega-sanctuary with 20 thousand capacity, valet parking, armed guards and a five million dollar multimedia system.
And that's because those churches are being starved out by the Joel Osteens, Creflo Dollars and Franklin Grahams of the world.

A bit stray from the topic but still going more moderate...
. That means we faithful RC(s) aren't going to get more moderate by believing abortion is anything other than wrong, or a mortal sin.
What % of Roman Catholic women do you think fall under your definition of "we faithful RC(s)" ??
12%? 14%??

What % of Roman Catholic women do you think fall under your definition of "we faithful RC(s)" ??
12%? 14%??

Heck if I know. Why would you ask?

Just because a denomination claims to be evangelical and Bible "believing" doesn't mean they are actually following the scriptures.

Prosperity gospel, easy believism, and the postmoderen "emergent church" movement are all exposing many of these as being wolves in sheeps clothing.

Oh shit! Do I know this one.

I came to Jesus in a long, wandering manner involving gallons on gallons of alcohol, pot, coke or anything else that would hide who I was.

Church after church had these invisible, unstated policies that if you didn't go a long you would not fit in. I was isolated out of my first church because I demanded a reason why women could not preach. The second because I would not "surrender" and reject the teachings of AA. The third I found corruption - innocent really, but favoritism etc. Pastors get raises based on their level of study. So they get the congregation to pay for the course and when complete the pastor gets a raise.

Even at its most benign, religion becomes an instrument of control, control of the behavior. Add the confessional and you have TOTAL control. What is it the Jesuits say? "give us a child and we will have him for a lifetime.

Did you know there is absolutely no biblical instrument about confessions to a priest. But if you think about it, in the absence of the Romans how else could one control the populace. Burn a few witches (mid wives)and you have some serious fear. "You will burn is hell" would be a powerful instrument to use on an illiterate peasant, something that would keep him submissive forever.

Nothing new....

So many Christians had gone "progressive." Like with same-sex marriage.

Churches will deal with it the way they see fit - and that's where we see which churches will adhere to the Scriptures,
and those that will conform to this world. We saw some churches split up over SSM.

A lot of churches are more interested with membership quota, than actually sticking to the Word of God.
I suppose that says more about the church's trust and faith in God - they're more afraid of losing members (than fearing God),
so, they panic!

I mean - if this is a test for faith given by God -

Ephesians 6

The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,
and after you have done everything, to stand.
14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,
15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.
With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

churches who buckled under pressure, surely don't seem to have passed it.

Last edited:
There are two woman in th story who eschewed evangelism. The first one was never a wiccan. Your guess is incorrect.

But the second one was. One example out of millions doesn't prove anything.

"For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories." 2 Timothy 4:3,4

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…