• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

West Virginia chemical spill cuts water to up to 300,000, state of emergency declared

Re: West Virginia chemical spill cuts water to up to 300,000, state of emergency decl

Thanks for sharing that - it's well said.

It helps strengthen my view that we need politicians and governments that work more towards what is in the public interest as opposed to what is in their personal, political, interests. It may be idealistic, but so be it.

I'm not big on government in the lives of individuals, but I have no problem with government as a gatekeeper of what is acceptible business practice and the safe exploitation of resources for the benefit of citizens.

Re: West Virginia chemical spill cuts water to up to 300,000, state of emergency decl

John, you're standing with a sound footing.
I would like to add that governments, and politicians will only be responsive to its citizens when they participate within the political process with a keen, educated eye toward the policies being advanced, and the issues they represent. We can achieve a balance between a clean environment, and a strong economy, but not if special interest money buys our political system, and perverts the Democratic process to exclude the voices of our people. This is the heart of our current struggle, whether a small group of plutocrats are going to dictate policy or whether the people take back their Democratic power. I am not opposed to intelligent use of resources, as we agree upon; I am opposed to careless disregard of sensible policies regarding impact mitigation, and public health precautions. Why should I not be allowed to know what a company is pumping into the ground? If you refuse to tell me than I don't want you pumping it in. It's that simple. Is that asking too much? Is it asking too much for chemical companies to know the impact of chemicals they unleash in our water supply? They don't think so. I do. And that's not going to change until political power is restored to the people

Government must exist to serve all the people with equal justice. Government is merely a tool of the people to achieve our national priorities when it works properly. It's broken- a republic sir, if we can get it back.

Barry

Last edited:

From Somerville's link above:

So, it is happening right here in the USA as well?

http://www.debatepolitics.com/inter...emn-government-curbs-emergency-treatment.html

In the case outlined in this OP, the simple question has to be why did the jurisdiction give a building and operations permit to this chemical facility allowing them to locate upstream on a waterway that supplies drinking water to 300,000 people? That's the kind of idiotic lack of government oversight and common sense I'm speaking of.

I wonder what the odds are that someone highly placed in the jurisdiction in question owned the property in question?

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

I wonder what the odds are that someone highly placed in the jurisdiction in question owned the property in question?

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

Good afternoon Lady P.

I hadn't thought of that and I'm usually far more cynical than you!! You could be right.

How about the vapors from a hot shower or tub ?

there are none, don't let programming interfere with critical thought

Chemistry
there are none, don't let programming interfere with critical thought

Good afternoon Lady P.

I hadn't thought of that and I'm usually far more cynical than you!! You could be right.

Beware of cynicism. It can lead you astray as much as 5% of the time.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…