• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was Eisenhower picked to lead D-Day because of his last name?

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
General Eisenhower was competent, I won't deny that. But there were a lot of generals to pick from. Why Ike?

Do you think his last name was part of the decision to appoint him? Give a message to the German people that America is your friend?

Eisenhower was Napoleon, he started it, he finished it, because the Indian cattle were slaughtered up.

You think the rain will hurt the rubarb?
You mean if I get the forty and up the rain cycle?

Sorry, I can't do much across the Mississippi or the Rockies.

Do you want to see, "Las Vegas, a Jungle?"

General Eisenhower was competent, I won't deny that. But there were a lot of generals to pick from. Why Ike?

Do you think his last name was part of the decision to appoint him? Give a message to the German people that America is your friend?

George Patton lobbied for him; he and George had worked closely together after WW I on American tank development and tactical training, and Patton was impresses with his logistical and tactical sense. Patton was a heavy in Army politics at the time, and Eisenhower was able to leapfrog over the less competent because of that. He was pretty competent, and since the U.S. was going to force its way into the top leadership positions anyway he was an excellent choice, and a fairly competent politician as well when it came to handling all the Allies and their egoes.

Lord North and William Slim could have handled the command probably as well re strategy and the like, but I don't think they would have been as good at the politics involved.

He was well liked and considered a good commander.

Eisenhower was the best clerk Douglas MacArthur ever had!

When Eisenhower went to England to be interviewed by the British for the command, Northbrooke asked him what his strategies would be. He left the room four a bout half an hour and came backs with his plan, and he followed it to the letter, which included stopping the American drive at the best strategic and tactical position he could find, and got there pretty on time, Berlin not being important militarily as a defensible region, and was just rubble anyway by the time the war was over.

Back
Top Bottom