• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vine plant mysteriously cut

Sherlock Holmes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This is a mystery.

I live in East Arizona, just west of the Superstition Mountains, we get lots of hut dry summer here.

About a month ago I bought some crossvine plants and planted these close to a chicken wire fence, each "plant" was actually three tall thin vines all planted in the same pot, with their own bamboo stick.

These have been developing nicely getting watered every other day or so, growing new shoots like a vine should.

Yesterday afternoon I was just walking near them when I noticed one appeared to be wilting, as I got closer I saw lots of leaves on the ground and started to wonder if something had somehow poisoned the plant or something odd.

Then as I got quite close I was shocked to see what looked like the stems had been cut with a tool, like scissors or something.

Here's a picture, one of several I have:

1615765245734.png

You can see clearly several places that show a stem apparently sliced, two of the tree vines in that group had been cut, low down, around eight to ten inches above ground level.

It is close to inconceivable that a human did this, my house sits on a 1.5 acre parcel, as do the neighbors, the yard is fenced on the sides tall metal railings, the rear is an eight ft brick wall.

The neighborhood is very quite, no children, cul de sac, the neighbors are people like me, in their 60s, nobody ever bothers anybody, nobody would enter anyone's yard because this is Arizona, Castle Doctrine, everybody is armed.

Furthermore the are has no street lights, this is a county island, very quiet, very rustic, it is just inconceivable that a person would access my yard and wander over to a small vine plant in the dead of night and do this.

But the way the stems appear cleanly sliced strikes me as not what I'd expect from animals, there are rabbits around here but I'm not familiar with the kind of damage the can inflict.

Here's another picture:

1615766132884.png

That slice, cut you can see just as it passes in front of the bamboo near that black band on the bamboo, is at a height of about 14 inches from the ground.

There is another set of three vines (came form another pot) planted about eight feet along the same fence, it is unharmed.

Could a rabbit cut the stems like that? or is this a real mystery?

Well you are on the edge of both Chupacabra and Jackalope territory so it could have been either one of those

This is a mystery.

I live in East Arizona, just west of the Superstition Mountains, we get lots of hut dry summer here.

About a month ago I bought some crossvine plants and planted these close to a chicken wire fence, each "plant" was actually three tall thin vines all planted in the same pot, with their own bamboo stick.

These have been developing nicely getting watered every other day or so, growing new shoots like a vine should.

Yesterday afternoon I was just walking near them when I noticed one appeared to be wilting, as I got closer I saw lots of leaves on the ground and started to wonder if something had somehow poisoned the plant or something odd.

Then as I got quite close I was shocked to see what looked like the stems had been cut with a tool, like scissors or something.

Here's a picture, one of several I have:

View attachment 67323079

You can see clearly several places that show a stem apparently sliced, two of the tree vines in that group had been cut, low down, around eight to ten inches above ground level.

It is close to inconceivable that a human did this, my house sits on a 1.5 acre parcel, as do the neighbors, the yard is fenced on the sides tall metal railings, the rear is an eight ft brick wall.

The neighborhood is very quite, no children, cul de sac, the neighbors are people like me, in their 60s, nobody ever bothers anybody, nobody would enter anyone's yard because this is Arizona, Castle Doctrine, everybody is armed.

Furthermore the are has no street lights, this is a county island, very quiet, very rustic, it is just inconceivable that a person would access my yard and wander over to a small vine plant in the dead of night and do this.

But the way the stems appear cleanly sliced strikes me as not what I'd expect from animals, there are rabbits around here but I'm not familiar with the kind of damage the can inflict.

Here's another picture:

View attachment 67323082

That slice, cut you can see just as it passes in front of the bamboo near that black band on the bamboo, is at a height of about 14 inches from the ground.

There is another set of three vines (came form another pot) planted about eight feet along the same fence, it is unharmed.

Could a rabbit cut the stems like that? or is this a real mystery?
A rabbit probably could but probably wouldn't. It would just eat the leaves. I never heard of rabbits taking branches back to their lairs.
Can those vines be propagated by cuttings? The angle on those cuts are what you would do with a sharp knife if you were going to powder them with rooting hormone and start them in pots.
If you solve the mystery let us know.

I don't have much substantive add, except to say,

"It's a perfect post for your nick!"

Are there deer in your area? In my neck of the woods, they leap over a 4-1/2' fence effortlessly.

Do you have the crossvine plants to attract hummingbirds? I know you can probably pull a dozen species in that part of the country.

I found this, so I'm proceeding on the assumption it was a rabbit:

1615830472743.png

This is all new to me, but is discussed on this site.

Back
Top Bottom