• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Turkish leader Erdogan begins historic Greek visit

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has arrived in Greece on his first visit in six years.
Mr Erdogan is travelling with a delegation of 10 ministers and about 100 businessmen.
He is due to co-chair the first joint cabinet meeting between the two countries with his Greek counterpart, George Papandreou.
Ties between Greece and Turkey have long been strained and have veered at times to outright hostility.
The two countries remain at odds over territorial rights and oil in the Aegean Sea, and how to end the division of Cyprus - divided since the 1974 Turkish invasion of the north of the island in response to a military coup backed by Athens.
'New era'
Before departing for Greece, Mr Erdogan described his visit as being of "historic importance".
"I believe the signing of 21 agreements and co-operation protocols will mark the beginning of a new era between the two countries," he said.
The BBC's Jonathan Head reports from Istanbul that Turkey is hoping to achieve in Greece what its already managed with its other once-estranged neighbours, Iran, Iraq, Syria and Russia - that is, to put aside differences and focus on areas of mutual benefit, in particular trade.
Given the state of the Greek economy, he says such opportunities may be scarce right now, but Turkish officials stress that this is also a show of solidarity with Greece.

BBC News - Turkish leader Erdogan begins Greek visit

_47849146_47849109.jpg

I have always found Erdogan to be a rather scary individual. Did you see his mindless rant on the BBC News 24 programme 'Hard Talk' about 6yrs ago? He is one scary dude...

Last edited:
I have always found Erdogan to be a rather scary individual. Did you see his mindless rant on the BBC News 24 programme 'Hard Talk' about 6yrs ago? He is one scary dude...

Erdogan was never on hard talk?

Anyway, i wouldn't have been crying if Operation Sledgehammer had pulled through, lets put it that way.

Last edited:
If the relations between Greece and Turkey are better now, Greece could reduce its military spending. It is certainly one of the causes of the debt that Greece has (the defence represents 4 % of the GDP).

Erdogan was never on hard talk?
It was either 2004 or early 2005. The interviewer was Tim Vincent and the interview was very heated. If WS was still live, I had posted a link to the interview in full there.

Anyway, i wouldn't have been crying if Operation Sledgehammer had pulled through, lets put it that way.
The 2007 one? There has been two. And why?

I have no ill feeling towards Turkey or the Turkish people. I have just always found Erdogan to be an intimidating personality and believe he is the ultimate reason for Turkey not being admitted into the E.U.
In hindsight, with a view to the predicament of Greece now, maybe that decision was benefical to Turkey?

Last edited:
It was either 2004 or early 2005. The interviewer was Tim Vincent and the interview was very heated. If WS was still live, I had posted a link to the interview in full there.

Oh, ill look it up.

The 2007 one? There has been two. And why?

Yes the 2007 one. I say that because Erdogan is a a puppet figure who does not believe in the fundamental values of secularism and liberalism, and has instead decided to embark on constitutional reforms that would expand and empose his hideous religious and conservative values on Turkish society and his hatred of freedom of expression and the media. The CHP will annual the constitutional ammendments at the constitutional court, and Erdogan will be left humiliated. He has advanced Turkey in some ways towards the West, but he has been poking holes at the secular authority for years, and he needs to be done with.

Back
Top Bottom