• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trudeau ends emergency powers

Did Justin Trudeau’s Financial Crackdown Really Spark a Bank Run in Canada?​

Five of Canada's largest banks mysteriously went offline this week after the government announced it was freezing assets of people supporting the Freedom Convoy, sparking rumors of a bank run or computer hacking.​

by Jon Miltimore
February 20, 2022
in Government, Opinion, Politics

he announcement, however, may be having an unintended consequence. News reports say Canada’s banks mysteriously went offline following Freeland’s announcement.

“This week, five banks in Canada, the leading ones in the country, went offline out of the blue,” TechStory reported Thursday. “They faced a major outage of almost five hours blocking access to their primary functions. Online and mobile banking facilities were said to be out, along with access to e-transfer for the customers.”

Hmmm that's interesting. I talked to a friend in Canada on Monday (?) and she actually mentioned she was blocked from any online banking and was worried about how she would pay bills if it continued. I honestly didn't even think much about it, I guess because it seemed like maybe it was just a thing with her specific bank. Hopefully it's all fixed, but that's kind of scary to think it happened.

Hmmm that's interesting. I talked to a friend in Canada on Monday (?) and she actually mentioned she was blocked from any online banking and was worried about how she would pay bills if it continued. I honestly didn't even think much about it, I guess because it seemed like maybe it was just a thing with her specific bank. Hopefully it's all fixed, but that's kind of scary to think it happened.
Probably it was the banking establishments responding to a run on the banks.

A portion of my online banking was down Monday AM. It was a long weekend and the bank gave us ample notification they would be using the long weekend to take some applications down for maintenance and software updating. Telephone banking was not impacted but face to face banking in the branches was closed for the holiday. Honestly I can't imagine being so paranoid as to see evil at every turn. It's sad actually.

A portion of my online banking was down Monday AM. It was a long weekend and the bank gave us ample notification they would be using the long weekend to take some applications down for maintenance and software updating. Telephone banking was not impacted but face to face banking in the branches was closed for the holiday. Honestly I can't imagine being so paranoid as to see evil at every turn. It's sad actually.

I just looked and it actually was Monday I spoke with her.

Five of Canada's largest banks go offline at the same time. Is that paranoia or simply a statement of fact?

I just looked and it actually was Monday I spoke with her.
Monday was a holiday, not a national holiday but a holiday in many Provinces. Ontario is one Province that celebrates it as an Provincially mandated holiday.

Five of Canada's largest banks go offline at the same time. Is that paranoia or simply a statement of fact?
A statement of fact if they did...paranoia when you ascribe a motive.

A statement of fact if they did...paranoia when you ascribe a motive.
Given that just days before the Emergencies Act was put in place and he announced the freezing of bank accounts, is it paranoia to think 5 banks going offline might be associated with that? I think it is very likely related to it.

Given that just days before the Emergencies Act was put in place and he announced the freezing of bank accounts, is it paranoia to think 5 banks going offline might be associated with that? I think it is very likely related to it.
Yup its paranoia.......

To my knowledge, and I am an on line banker, no banks went off line prior to the announcement much less 5 of them.

Yup its paranoia.......

To my knowledge, and I am an on line banker, no banks went off line prior to the announcement much less 5 of them.
The reports about of the offline issues was actually Wednesday last week not Monday.

The reports about of the offline issues was actually Wednesday last week not Monday.

I have had no issues and have heard of no issues. This is not something that could float under the radar.

Trudeau ended the emergency powers. Victory for the protesters. Banks freaked out as people pulled their money out of the banks reacting to the threat of freezing accounts.
Yeah they did that as most of our housing melts in the spring
Why we even have lighting for them now
But ya still go in the snow

1645669707893.png

He's just living up to his word. "not one day longer than necessary" he said.

I realize that as a conservative you aren't used to people doing that, but that's what happened.
Many Americans are not familiar with our system of Government, Charter, Constitution and laws.
I get that - I understand that - Many US members helped me with US laws, Constitution, States Rights, and it was a steep learning curve

What I don't get is when it has been explained, time and again, the Cons, not all, but many still refuse to learn

But if staying ignorant is their goal, God Damn let them come

Back
Top Bottom