• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This ancient shark fossil is exquisite. But some researchers wonder if they’ll be able to study it

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...esearchers-wonder-if-they-ll-be-able-study-it [subscription]

About 90 million years ago, an unusual shark cruised the shallow sea covering what is now Vallecillo, in the Mexican state of Nuevo León. After the animal died, conditions on the sea floor were just right to preserve its soft tissue and long, winglike fins. Described last month in Science, the shark, named Aquilolamna milarcae, made headlines around the world for its surprising similarities to today’s plankton-eating manta rays.

But for some paleontologists, the publication—by a team of mostly European scientists—also raises thorny questions about the role of private collections in their field and lingering scientific colonialism. The paper originally said the specimen was purchased by a collector, which is illegal under Mexican law. And a public museum founded by the collector, where the fossil was said to be accessible for study by other researchers, is not scheduled to open until later this year. That could mean other scientists “can’t know if what the [authors] described is true or not,” says Omar Regalado Fernández, an independent paleobiologist based in the United Kingdom who first raised concerns about the new paper on Twitter.

“A publication with Mexican material is always gratifying,” says Felisa Aguilar Arellano, a paleontologist at the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), the federal agency that oversees paleontological research in Mexico. However, she says, “It is unethical to claim the existence of a museum” that is not yet finished, and “it is totally clear that [fossils], considered national heritage, are not marketable.”
======================================================================
This sort of thing bothers paleontologists. Important fossils disappear into private collections & may not be available for study by scientists.

@JacksinPA

Who owns a rock? The Earth, the finder, the diggers, who ever paid the diggers, owner of the land where the rock was found, the buyer of the rock, the government of country where the rock was found, those who would study it or all of humanity? If you decide that my rock is interesting, can you take it from me? Can I not hide and protect my "precious" rock? Sort all that out and the rest will follow.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

@JacksinPA

Who owns a rock? The Earth, the finder, the diggers, who ever paid the diggers, owner of the land where the rock was found, the buyer of the rock, the government of country where the rock was found, those who would study it or all of humanity? If you decide that my rock is interesting, can you take it from me? Can I not hide and protect my "precious" rock? Sort all that out and the rest will follow.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

There is a law in Mexico that makes all fossils state property.

@JacksinPA

As usual in life, the devil is in the details. From your linked article:

Fernández Garza explains he did not purchase the fossil itself. The shark turned up in a slab of rock after he purchased it from a fossil-rich limestone quarry in Vallecillo, he says. “I buy the rocks” that might contain fossils, he says; this is legal under Mexican law. He and Stinnesbeck say buying the slabs saves potential fossils from destruction. (Fernández Garza adds that organized crime has recently taken an interest in the Vallecillo site and that other private collectors are now illegally buying its fossils.)

If you buy a rock which later turns out to have an interesting fossil in it, only discovered after the sale, can the state expropriate it? When is my rock, mine?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

@JacksinPA

As usual in life, the devil is in the details. From your linked article:

If you buy a rock which later turns out to have an interesting fossil in it, only discovered after the sale, can the state expropriate it? When is my rock, mine?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

I'm not a Mexican lawyer.

@JacksinPA

An I'm not a Cretaceous ray-shark! Wadd-ya gonna do? Life is complicated and lawyers often make it more complicated. Do you think some Mexican lawyers are trying to hide their evolutionary origins? ;)

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Back
Top Bottom