• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They and them and how one issue can divide us into the theys and thems, any kind of attempt at gun control will do it.

This is by far among the most ridiculous argument of the frightened 2nd amendment cult. The silly notion that their pea shooters can defend them "from the government". This fallacious argument hasn't been true since before the Vietnam war, and it gets weaker every year. No civilian, no matter how well armed, can resist the US government. Anyone who believes otherwise is a complete fool.

When the 2nd Amendment was written by the founders, a person, or small militia, could fight off "the government" with nothing more than muskets and blunderbusses. But for all the advantage modern guns have now, including full-auto assault rifles, they might just as well still be using black powder against the US government. That's how huge the technological disparity is now.
Barely literate tribespeople with rifles held their own against the entire US military in places like Afghanistan.

Even stupider still is the notion that its the Democrats who are the biggest threat to their gun rights, completely in denial of the fact that it was the Republicans who suspended habeas corpus under Bush the Lesser's regime. He and the GOP made it possible for them to declare anybody a threat to national security, so instead of confronting anyone in their bunker to try to take their guns away, they can just pick them up at the big box store while their buying 36 rolls of toilet paper. Then take them away and hold them without charges, go to their homes at the governments leisure, and remove all their firearms and ammo. BOOM - No more 2nd Amendment ! - in the blink of an eye, and without even one shot being fired. Their huge gun and ammo repositories rendered completely useless!
Speaking of stupid arguments...,

If the government started confiscating guns, people would start hiding them. And eventually using them.

This is by far among the most ridiculous argument of the frightened 2nd amendment cult. The silly notion that their pea shooters can defend them "from the government". This fallacious argument hasn't been true since before the Vietnam war, and it gets weaker every year. No civilian, no matter how well armed, can resist the US government.
Civilian? Just one?
You don't understand the argument.
Even stupider still is the notion that its the Democrats who are the biggest threat to their gun rights,
The official platform of the Democratic Party makes our case for us.

This is by far among the most ridiculous argument of the frightened 2nd amendment cult. The silly notion that their pea shooters can defend them "from the government". This fallacious argument hasn't been true since before the Vietnam war, and it gets weaker every year. No civilian, no matter how well armed, can resist the US government. Anyone who believes otherwise is a complete fool.
I think you have really no idea who makes up the military. I think you may have read a poll or something the Marine Corps had on the subject rather or not they would fire on citizens. Don't know who did the "poll" but it was years ago and proven to be phony as hell.

Barely literate tribespeople with rifles held their own against the entire US military in places like Afghanistan.
That's bullshit. Offensive Afghani military forces never won a single head-to-head stand up fight against the US military. Not one. When we invaded, we were able to take over the entire Kabul government of a country of over 10 million people with less than 20,000 troops on the ground - in other words, less than the total police forces in New York City. We didn't leave Afghanistan because we were militarily defeated. We left because we had no business staying there, no clear objective to achieve, no metric to measure our success, no right to "nation build" that culture against their own will, no exit strategy before we went in, and just generally didn't have the ****ing sense to follow our own Powell Doctrine, which we disigned specifically after Vietnam to NOT fall into another ****ing morass. But Bush did it anyway.

Nobody is going to be planting IED's on Mainstreet USA, and nobody is going to be supplied shoulder launched STA missiles, either. If you really don't understand the difference between Afghani resistance and your own, I wouldn't be publicly broadcasting that ignorance on line. This kind of distorted reality is precisely what I'm referring to in my post.

"I need more guns, and more ammo, than I can ever hope to use, in a fight against an opponent I can never hope to beat. A government that can identify and surveil me with tech I can't evade, track my movements with hardware and software I can never hope to undermine, and target me with drones or helicopter gunships from a distance with weapons I can never hope to defend myself against ..... but I'm dumb enough to believe I can fight them off with my Glock 19 and AR-15."

This is what you, and every other person who thinks their guns defend them against our government, are in effect saying. And you seem to not have a clue how stupid that sounds.
Speaking of stupid arguments...,

If the government started confiscating guns, people would start hiding them. And eventually using them.
And even more embarrassing to not grasp the obvious contradiction in your own words. You can't be hiding them and using them at the same time. If you're hiding them, they are of no use to you and protect you angainst nothing - zero. If you're using them against the government, you're just a fool with a bullseye on your ass.

I think you have really no idea who makes up the military. I think you may have read a poll or something the Marine Corps had on the subject rather or not they would fire on citizens. Don't know who did the "poll" but it was years ago and proven to be phony as hell.
So, by using your own argument, you will never need your guns against the government, because the government can never come after you. Our military will never fire on US citizens. Did I get that right? You just destroyed your own reason for needing them!!

(BTW, look up May 4th, 1970)

Civilian? Just one?
You don't understand the argument.

The official platform of the Democratic Party makes our case for us.
What the Republicans actually DID makes my case for me!

That's bullshit. Offensive Afghani military forces never won a single head-to-head stand up fight against the US military. Not one.
And yet we are gone and they are still there.

Yes - and it's about time. Thank you President Biden !!
Glad to see you agreeing guys with rifles in Toyota pickups can win against the mightiest army ever to exist.

Thanks for confirming.

Glad to see you agreeing guys with rifles in Toyota pickups can win against the mightiest army ever to exist.

Thanks for confirming.
Uh .... no. I obviously never agreed to your ridiculous contention, and in fact, demonstrated exactly why it was a foolish lie.

But you just go on being fool enough to believe that your sidearm and the 2nd Amendment can defend you against the US government. It tickles me just to know you're out there, deluding yourself.

Don't forget to put another box of ammo on your shopping list, right after the bacon and eggs!

🤣😂🤣

Uh .... no. I obviously never agreed to your ridiculous contention, and in fact, demonstrated exactly why it was a foolish lie.
What lie? Are the Taliban not in control of Afghanistan?

Bored now. I made my point and you lost the debate and have started the obligatory personal attacks and trolling with "fool" and "deluding yourself". Have a great day.

So I'm on my way this morning to buy a basil and dill plant since I was totally unsuccessful trying to grow my herbs from seed this years and I see a bumper sticker that made me think, who is they and them? Are we not all Americans for the most part? So the bumper sticker read, If THEY come for your guns, give THEM your bullets first. How am I supposed to interpret the meaning of that bumper sticker?

Are we not all they and them on one issue or another?
An attempt to control I've done ownership from everyone but except for who you need to should result in violence.

We killed the British for this sort of thing back during the revolutionary war.

No other issue that I'm aware of evolves punishing only the law abiding for crimes the cops are too stupid to control.

Every single pro gun control argument is because cops are incompetent. Let's fix the problem instead of handicapping the incompetence.

What lie? Are the Taliban not in control of Afghanistan?

Bored now. I made my point and you lost the debate and have started the obligatory personal attacks and trolling with "fool" and "deluding yourself". Have a great day.
?? I this was supposed to be a cogent rejoinder to being told your Glock won't stop the US military, you failed.

Did you remember to pick up more ammo? Or not?

?? I this was supposed to be a cogent rejoinder to being told your Glock won't stop the US military, you failed.

Did you remember to pick up more ammo? Or not?

What a completely ridiculous strawman argument. Surely you can do better? Maybe not.

So I'm on my way this morning to buy a basil and dill plant since I was totally unsuccessful trying to grow my herbs from seed this years and I see a bumper sticker that made me think, who is they and them? Are we not all Americans for the most part? So the bumper sticker read, If THEY come for your guns, give THEM your bullets first. How am I supposed to interpret the meaning of that bumper sticker?

Are we not all they and them on one issue or another?

When I was young, I'd see/hear my mother and her friends/sisters/mother talk/gossip....they'd frequently say things like "they" need to do something, "they need to do this or that"....

I grew up thinking there was a race of Uber-Humans running the world

"They", "Them", "Those" people.

Back
Top Bottom