• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the Mühlenberg Legend, an urban legend in the US and in Germany

have you ever heard of this language?

• yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • cant remembet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • remember dimly ….

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
there are several versions about it …. all connected with the German language becoming an official language in the US

in germany these legends are known and often believed

there are several versions about it …. all connected with the German language becoming an official language in the US

Naturally, you have heard of the legend, mein Herr. :) But you have not cast a vote. I was first to cast a vote:)

i have heard the legend as a child

Naturally, you have heard of the legend, mein Herr. :) But you have not cast a vote. I was first to cast a vote:)
i was busy editing ….

:)

@Juin

could you do me a favour and post a link? :)

Yes.

An interesting thing in America was prior to WW I, there were many towns and schools that spoke German exclusively. I think that is the reason Lawrence Welk had a German accent even though he was born and raised in the United States.

Yes.

An interesting thing in America was prior to WW I, there were many towns and schools that spoke German exclusively. I think that is the reason Lawrence Welk had a German accent even though he was born and raised in the United States.
he was born in Strasburg, north dacota

strasburg
strassbourg
straßburg

WW I not only brought great misery to germany and austria, it also damaged the position of german culture and language world.wide.

:(

just imagine …. if germany had won WWI …..

just imagine …. if germany had won WWI …..

No Holocaust, no Israel, no WW II, the little corporal would have pursued an art career in Paris, who knows?

No Holocaust, no Israel, no WW II, the little corporal would have pursued an art career in Paris, who knows?
and many towns and things in the usa would have kept their german name

and in Samoa etc … the people would speak German

and many towns and things in the usa would have kept their german name

I can't speak for other places but in Texas, there are still some towns with German culture. There is a town about an hour from me that has a German festival (Muenster, Texas) and I go there every month for sausage and cheese.

I can't speak for other places but in Texas, there are still some towns with German culture. There is a town about an hour from me that has a German festival (Muenster, Texas) and I go there every month for sausage and cheese.
🔆🔆🔆🔆

Back
Top Bottom