• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The financial cost of war

kcasper

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Just wondering what people think of this article.

article link

The Cost of The War

By Pascal Riche | bio

Nobel Laureate Joseph E. Stiglitz and Harvard budget expert Linda Bilmes plan to present this week a paper estimating the cost of the Iraq War at between $1-2 trillion. This is far higher than earlier estimates of $100-200 billion.

Here is their statement:

Jan 05, 2006 -- 11:05:10 AM EST

NEW STUDY SUGGESTS ECONOMIC COST OF IRAQ WAR MUCH LARGER THAN PREVIOUSLY RECOGNIZED

A new study by two leading academic experts suggests that the costs of the Iraq war will be substantially higher than previously reckoned. In a paper presented to this week’s Allied Social Sciences Association annual meeting in Boston MA., Harvard budget expert Linda Bilmes and Columbia University Professor and Nobel Laureate Joseph E. Stiglitz calculate that the war is likely to cost the United States a minimum of nearly one trillion dollars and potentially over $2 trillion.

The study expands on traditional budgetary estimates by including costs such as lifetime disability and health care for the over16,000 injured, one fifth of whom have serious brain or spinal injuries. It then goes on to analyze the costs to the economy, including the economic value of lives lost and the impact of factors such as higher oil prices that can be partly attributed to the conflict in Iraq. The paper also calculates the impact on the economy if a proportion of the money spent on the Iraq war were spent in other ways, including on investments in the United States

“Shortly before the war, when Administration economist Larry Lindsey suggested that the costs might range between $100 and $200 billion, Administration spokesmen quickly distanced themselves from those numbers,” points out Professor Stiglitz. “But in retrospect, it appears that Lindsey’s numbers represented a gross underestimate of the actual costs.”

The Allied Social Sciences Association meeting is attended by the nation’s leading economists and social scientists. It is sponsored jointly by the American Economic Association and the Economists for Peace and Security.

I wonder what 911 cost. Soon the Iraq war will cost as many US lives as were lost in 911 & the finacial cost must surely be going to exceed the cost of 911.. if it hasn't already.
All to fight a war in a country that had nothing to do with 911.
Mad or what !

Here's a better question: What would the cost be for not fighting terror?

KCConservative said:
When did the Iraqis launch terrorist attacks against the U.S.? We're fighting angry Iraqis, not terrorists.

This was a good article on the subject in The American Conservative. Billions of tax dollars is unaccounted for in Iraq. At one point our "buddy" Allawi was wanted for stealing a billion or so from us. This has been known for a while but the "liberal bush hating mainstream media" doesn't touch the issue of why your money is going magically vanishing.

http://amconmag.com/2005/2005_10_24/cover.html

scottyz said:
When did the Iraqis launch terrorist attacks against the U.S.? We're fighting angry Iraqis, not terrorists.
Save the old left wing talking points for someone who cares. Evil is to be destroyed. I'm proud we are able to help. But don;t worry. No one is thanking you.

KCConservative said:

We're already NOT fighting the war on terror properly. Look at the 911 commission's report card on implementing recommended changes.
Lots of D's and F's.

Rumsfeld initially said it would cost UNDER 50 Billion. Does anyone take Rummy seriously anymore?

hipsterdufus said:
We're already NOT fighting the war on terror properly. Look at the 911 commission's report card on implementing recommended changes.
Lots of D's and F's.
No attacks since 911.

W. Still your president. :2razz:

Originally posted by KCConservative:
No attacks since 911.

W. Still your president
That doesn't mean jack-sh!t, dude!

Not to go of topic, but i think your post represents the reason for some of the antiamerican mood in the World. The perception that american lifes is worth more than others.

Billo_Really said:
That doesn't mean jack-sh!t, dude!
It means everything to me and my family, Mr. Potty-Mouth. Your 2000 and 2004 election jealousy is growing tiresome.

It means everything to me and my family, Mr. Potty-Mouth. Your 2000 and 2004 election jealousy is growing tiresome.
Your hero worship clouds your mind and vision. I have no jealousy towards a freak of nature premadonna that thinks they walk with deity.

Billo_Really said:
Your hero worship clouds your mind and vision. I have no jealousy towards a freak of nature premadonna that thinks they walk with deity.
My hero is Christ. How does he cloud my mind and vision? Tell me in your most crass and profane words.

My hero is Christ. How does he cloud my mind and vision? Tell me in your most crass and profane words.
Your hero is NOT Christ! Not the way you talk. Check this out, you cannot be for war and for Christ. It's either one or the other. And for someone who exhibits as much intolerance for the opinions of others as you do, I doubt if you have a clue as to what Christ was all about. Go back and think of some of the things you have posted here on this website and ask yourself if you could see these words coming from the mouth of Christ.

I am very rtolerant of yours and others viewpoints. It's an opinion forum. I have no choice but to be tolerant. You have every right to say the things you say and so do I.

And you can't tell me who my heros are and aren't. My hero is Jesus Christ. Always has been. Sorry if that strikes such a nasty chord with you, but your intolerance isn't my problem.

Yeah, you're right. I could see Christ saying something like, "Prove it or shut up!" Yeah, he says stuff like that.

How would Jesus have bombed Falluja?

Billo_Really said:
Yeah, you're right. I could see Christ saying something like, "Prove it or shut up!" Yeah, he says stuff like that.
I never claimed to be as perfect as He.

Billo_Really said:
So much for tolerance of others.
Because I read it back when you originally posted it, Billo. Why is everything an attempt to take a pot shot? And how does any of this relate to the topic? Can we get back on track please?

How does any of this relate to the topic, Billo? Can we get back on track please?
How do you learn anything new if you know everything already?

Billo_Really said:
How do you learn anything new if you know everything already?
See post 22, Billo. Thanks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…