• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Target to stock same-sex greeting cards

Which just means more and more companies that I won't do business with. Should eventually make my shopping decisions very easy.

This may be a silly question, but: why do you care? I can understand opposing abortion, if you believe it to be infanticide, or opposing stem cell research, if you believe blastocytes to be thinking human beings. But why do you care enough about gay people writing each other greeting cards to boycott a company?

Actually, I think most Valentines Cards tend to strongly suggest gender. At least gender role identity - like "To my lovely wife" or 'husband", though in gay circles those often are not gender related, meaning then there already were cards suited for gays.

Sometimes it does seem to go too far in in-your-face declarations of gayness. Such as so many of the I'm-gay T-shirts now. I don't know of any heteros wearing T-shirts saying "I f... women" or women wearing a T-shirt saying "I like big dicks."

Heterosexuality is still considered the default. I mention that I was previously married, or that I am seeing someone, people assume i'm straight. I can flat out refer to my girlfriend and people assume i mean a close female friend. To say nothing of the danger inherent in being a queer member of society, we often find ourselves in closets we had no intention of entering and having to come out all over again.

Back
Top Bottom