• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supersonic flight

Super-sonic flight outside of military applications just makes people think they are more important than they really are.

In the internet age we can pretty much travel at the speed of light to any point on the globe.

So sell me on the use case?

Tim Cook's time is so valuable that a few more hours flight time is going to make what difference?

POTUS is going to do what if he can only get there quicker?

I think we all need to slow way the hell down and take more time to think.

Maybe if Tim Cook had more time to think Apple would not has tossed untold billions at a car project, and be tossing untold billions at a VR project when the economic future of just about every tech company is clearly AI.

Maybe if POTUS had a little more time to think they would understand the biggest threat we face is the politics that divide us. A house divided against itself ALLWAYS falls.

Super-sonic flight outside of military applications just makes people think they are more important than they really are.

In the internet age we can pretty much travel at the speed of light to any point on the globe.

Tim Cook's time is so valuable that a few more hours flight time is going to make what difference?

Maybe if Tim Cook had more time to think Apple would not has tossed untold billions at a car project, and be tossing untold billions at a VR project when the economic future of just about every tech company is clearly AI.

Maybe if POTUS had a little more time to think they would understand the biggest threat we face is the politics that divide us. A house divided against itself ALLWAYS falls.
This is a prime example of overreacting....

Without technological advancements, we wouldn't have the internet that seems to be your pet baby

Source?
LOL
Pass.
Got me.
More.
Knock yourself out.

You should explain that to him.
What's that have to do with fast airplanes?

Source?

LOL

Pass.

Got me.

More.

Knock yourself out.

You should explain that to him.

What's that have to do with fast airplanes?
Few people can read or understand much anymore.

Getting somewhere quicker only matters when time means saving lives. Military, EMS, Doctors, surgeons, police, fire services.

Tim Cook and the President can give orders from anywhere in the world.

So again, what is the real use case for hyper-sonic civilian flight?

Sell it if you think you can?

This is a prime example of overreacting....

Without technological advancements, we wouldn't have the internet that seems to be your pet baby
Faster is not always better, taking time to enjoy life is, taking time to think about what is actually important.

Not just being in a rush to get to the next meeting.

Sure you could make a case for East coast to West coast travel, but how would than have really made the Concord an economically viable business venture?

Sure it would benefit a lot of people at the very top of society who think they are a lot more important than they really are, but at an extreme cost of jet fuel burned into the air we all breath on the only planet we all have to live on.

Now if NASA wanted to spend this money one interplanetary travel, to make that fasters, sure I'm right with you, but we can get around this planet at the speed of our communications networks. A few hours here or there isn't going to make a whole world of difference to anyone who's life is not in danger.

Show me some great difference between 400 MPH and 1500 MPH when it comes to helping us all, or most of us save some time, and is that in the end of the day some great advancement in efficiency that is going to make our lives better?

While carrying a full load, Concorde achieved 15.8 passenger miles per gallon of fuel, while the Boeing 707 reached 33.3 pm/g, the Boeing 747 46.4 pm/g, and the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 53.6 pm/g.

2.5x the speed for only 4x the fuel?

Sounds great, how much is a ticket?

Pun and sarcasm intended.

Sure I could get to my daughter's wedding in Miami and be back in LA in time for work the next day, or I could just take the week off and spend the money to pay for the wedding, and actually have time to enjoy it.

Rush and rush until life is no fun.

Ironic that someone with "flash" in their screenname is the lone curmudgeon of the concept, non? The argument, frankly, is a stupid one, and I mean that quite literally.

In every human endeavor, people want to get there faster (except, of course, to the ground from an airplane). It has always been thus.

Faster often means farther, more often, and increased trade and convenience. Not all of the results have been stellar - think of the Native Americans and suburban hellscapes - but it has pushed human endeavor forward in virtually every field - communications, trade, manufacturing, construction, and, of course, transportation. Railroads and highways knit the nation together; air and sea travel connected the continents; telegraphs, then telephones; radios, then satellites; television, then streaming. Progress has nearly always meant more speed (yes, you can quote Top Gun).

I'm not always an advocate for more speed - I like taking the backroads and seeing the details, experiencing the little things, savoring the moments - but I do understand the desire for it. It takes two full days of driving to cross the continent by car, most of a day to cross the Pacific by plane. If a 90-minute commute could be reduced to 15, that gives one two and a half hours of "extra time", every day. If I could get to Disney in half the time, I'd go more often. ;) People in Colorado could get fresh-caught salmon from either coast the same day it was caught. No more slow boats from China... You get the picture.

The Concorde could cross the Atlantic in 3 hours. But, there were downsides - noise, expense, fuel consumption, pollution. Progress requires the balancing of needs and consequences. It's an inexact science. But, I'd ride a bullet train or fly a supersonic transport if I could. Wouldn't anyone?

The Concorde was very cool. This plane looks interesting, as well. I don't know what I think about no window for the pilot and relying entirely on a screen, though. It's not too difficult to imagine potential problems with that design.

I got to fly on the Concorde in the early 80's ? from London to New York. I didn't pay for the ticket. (Something like 8 grand...Jesus !)
Extreme cool ride!

Congrats.

I'm not quite sure how much an experience it is to go at that speed, though the plane was beautiful. It must shrink the feeling of the world to change continent that quickly.

Indeed. It would be a lot cheaper and environmentally-friendly to make a long flight on a regular aircraft more bearable.

Congrats.

I'm not quite sure how much an experience it is to go at that speed, though the plane was beautiful. It must shrink the feeling of the world to change continent that quickly.
It was very different in a subtle way. I believe the Captain said "we are at 19400 meters" 'bout 62500 feet.
Going at twice the speed of sound is extremely fun. We passed some other jets (way down of course..you could see the sun shining on them)
I mean, we were going by them at somewhere around 700 mph. Whoa!
You could see large ships as dots and get a reference, regarding speed. I'll never forget it. :) :)

@HIP56948 The most similar experience seems to be high speed rail. Even more dramatic though technically slower.

Faster is not always better, taking time to enjoy life is, taking time to think about what is actually important.

While you're squished between two 300lb dudes, and would still feel cramped even if the seats next to you were empty, in economy? Right.

Ironic that someone with "flash" in their screenname is the lone curmudgeon of the concept, non? The argument, frankly, is a stupid one, and I mean that quite literally.

In every human endeavor, people want to get there faster (except, of course, to the ground from an airplane). It has always been thus.

Faster often means farther, more often, and increased trade and convenience. Not all of the results have been stellar - think of the Native Americans and suburban hellscapes - but it has pushed human endeavor forward in virtually every field - communications, trade, manufacturing, construction, and, of course, transportation. Railroads and highways knit the nation together; air and sea travel connected the continents; telegraphs, then telephones; radios, then satellites; television, then streaming. Progress has nearly always meant more speed (yes, you can quote Top Gun).

I'm not always an advocate for more speed - I like taking the backroads and seeing the details, experiencing the little things, savoring the moments - but I do understand the desire for it. It takes two full days of driving to cross the continent by car, most of a day to cross the Pacific by plane. If a 90-minute commute could be reduced to 15, that gives one two and a half hours of "extra time", every day. If I could get to Disney in half the time, I'd go more often. ;) People in Colorado could get fresh-caught salmon from either coast the same day it was caught. No more slow boats from China... You get the picture.

The Concorde could cross the Atlantic in 3 hours. But, there were downsides - noise, expense, fuel consumption, pollution. Progress requires the balancing of needs and consequences. It's an inexact science. But, I'd ride a bullet train or fly a supersonic transport if I could. Wouldn't anyone?

I've always sprung for direct flights even if they're a bunch more expensive. Depending on just how expensive supersonic is, I might just do it. (Definitely not for the price of a concorde ticket in real dollars)

Back
Top Bottom