• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study habits are racist

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

I get that people grow up in different cultures, with different respect for space and silence... but subjects like the one broached by this author seem to answer themselves.

I mean, you could also ask "Why to rich people work so much?" or "Why do Rich People save an invest so much?" and you'd get the same backwards logic, ignoring that the culture of rich and successful people is probably part of why they are rich and successful.

Studying without distractions is, in my experience, optimal... pretty much anything where you want to focus on a specific thing is easier without distraction. It's easier to follow a movie plot if other theater goers aren't talking loudly around you or blasting music. Noise Canceling is a thing for audiophiles for a reason.

I'm guessing there aren't many people who hit writers block, or have trouble focusing on their studies, because their writing space isn't in the middle of a bubble rave.

And, of course, he makes it about "race".

But his argument is self defeating. In his story of silenced students of color who self segregated computer labs, etc. so they could play Selena while they work gives up his own argument. The fact that he was able to declare a school space for "students of color" would show that the problem really isn't emanating from the group he thinks it is emanating from. Would he be fine if the computer lab loudly played music he didn't like? I find playing classical music while I study is beneficial to my concentration... would he be OK if I asked to add some Vivaldi into the mix? Apparently not, because he self segregated by skin color and music preference, not "likes loud music".

I get that people grow up in different cultures, with different respect for space and silence... but subjects like the one broached by this author seem to answer themselves.

I mean, you could also ask "Why to rich people work so much?" or "Why do Rich People save an invest so much?" and you'd get the same backwards logic, ignoring that the culture of rich and successful people is probably part of why they are rich and successful.

Studying without distractions is, in my experience, optimal... pretty much anything where you want to focus on a specific thing is easier without distraction. It's easier to follow a movie plot if other theater goers aren't talking loudly around you or blasting music. Noise Canceling is a thing for audiophiles for a reason.

I'm guessing there aren't many people who hit writers block, or have trouble focusing on their studies, because their writing space isn't in the middle of a bubble rave.

But his argument is self defeating. In his story of silenced students of color who self segregated computer labs, etc. so they could play Selena while they work gives up his own argument. The fact that he was able to declare a school space for "students of color" would show that the problem really isn't emanating from the group he thinks it is emanating from. Would he be fine if the computer lab loudly played music he didn't like? I find playing classical music while I study is beneficial to my concentration... would he be OK if I asked to add some Vivaldi into the mix? Apparently not, because he self segregated by skin color and music preference, not "likes loud music".

I actually think it's more a suburb/rural vs urban upbringing than anything else. I understand opening the windows and hearing the music and people around you but growing up in a mostly Polish/Mexican/Czech immigrant neighborhood it wasn't about race or color - many people were "loud". It would be a culture shock to suddenly leave that environment and be in company of people were more quiet. But go out into the suburbs or a small town and it's much less likely you are going to have someone having a BBQ blasting some music the whole neighborhood can hear.

Also the author is a she not a he.

I don't think this has much do do with race. I had the benefit of growing up earlier before there were all these distractions like the Internet, phones, and social media. I don't think I can succeed in today's world. Matter of fact in today's world of unlimited music streaming I cannot even listen to the end of a song before trying to find a better song. Same goes for TV and switching channels. Concentration is a important skill one learns. I can only focus if I'm extremely interested in a subject or it's a means to an important end. Like watching YouTube on how to fix your car. Good thing I'm a older guy who's living off my success of the past because I would have big trouble if I was just getting started today.

I would agree that it is an urban/suburban/rural environment thing.

I grew up in a rural area...accustomed to falling asleep to the sound of crickets at night. I went to college in an urban environment, right in the middle of a city. It was a profound shock as to the ambient "noise". Within a week of landing in the dorm, I had a "white noise" set up so that I could sleep at night. The overall noise of dorm life and a city was overwhelming to me.

I actually think it's more a suburb/rural vs urban upbringing than anything else. I understand opening the windows and hearing the music and people around you but growing up in a mostly Polish/Mexican/Czech immigrant neighborhood it wasn't about race or color - many people were "loud". It would be a culture shock to suddenly leave that environment and be in company of people were more quiet. But go out into the suburbs or a small town and it's much less likely you are going to have someone having a BBQ blasting some music the whole neighborhood can hear.

Yeah, I grew up in a 1200 sqft house with 6 brothers, "quiet" isn't how I would describe my upbringing, nor would I describe my choices of entertainment in my youth to be "quiet" or subdued. But I did learn the hard way that I had to split my loud time from my study time, and that I needed music to sleep in most situations, though the optimal background sound for me to sleep it seems is the sound of song frogs in spring.

Also the author is a she not a he.

How am I supposed to know when they didn't tell me?! 😉

I would agree that it is an urban/suburban/rural environment thing.

I grew up in a rural area...accustomed to falling asleep to the sound of crickets at night. I went to college in an urban environment, right in the middle of a city. It was a profound shock as to the ambient "noise". Within a week of landing in the dorm, I had a "white noise" set up so that I could sleep at night. The overall noise of dorm life and a city was overwhelming to me.

I've always thought of myself as a city person but after years and years of being pushed to move rural and resisting it, I find myself actually seriously thinking of making the move - for the quietness. So I can fall asleep to crickets and not a helicopter, loud bass music, or drunk people acting up.

I've always thought of myself as a city person but after years and years of being pushed to move rural and resisting it, I find myself actually seriously thinking of making the move - for the quietness. So I can fall asleep to crickets and not a helicopter, loud bass music, or drunk people acting up.
Yeah, when I lived in urban environments it always ground on my nerves and it increased my anxiety with all the constant noise.

Yeah, I grew up in a 1200 sqft house with 6 brothers, "quiet" isn't how I would describe by upbringing, nor would I describe my choices of entertainment in my youth to be "quiet" or subdued. But I did learn the hard way that I had to split my loud time from my study time, and that I needed music to sleep in most situations, though the optimal background sound for me to sleep it seems is the sound of song frogs in spring.

That's why it's stupid to make it about race. I get it, it's probably because it's white people shushing her but you can't stereotype all white people as quiet.

Also, my daughter thought your song frogs was a most inconvenient way to be woken up to. Thanks for a good way to annoy my daughter on her last days of summer break. 😄 - and also a good recommendation. I love listening to things like that. Right now I am listening to

That's why it's stupid to make it about race. I get it, it's probably because it's white people shushing her but you can't stereotype all white people as quiet.

Also, my daughter thought your song frogs was a most inconvenient way to be woken up to. Thanks for a good way to annoy my daughter on her last days of summer break. 😄 - and also a good recommendation. I love listening to things like that. Right now I am listening to

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try it out.

That video of the frogs isn't the most accurate to the real experience. I live if rural Northern VA, and the song frogs here have a very soothing sound that I'm having a hard time locating online. I think the issue is that all of the videos have at least one frog sound in direct focus while in the world I live in the wetlands where they multiply are 30+ yards away so the sound is softened considerably.

Here is another video where the frog sound is correct, but unfortunately the lake wave sound would likely make me need to pee. 😆

Is she a Vulcan or an elf?

"Why do Rich People save an invest so much?"

Well let's see, what is the difference between living comfortably on 40% or less of you income and struggling to get by on 100% of you income? How can that be any different?

"Why do Rich People save an invest so much?"

Well let's see, what is the difference between living comfortably on 40% or less of you income and struggling to get by on 100% of you income? How can that be any different?
Regardless of how much or how little money you make you choose your standard of living. You can make a million a year, spend a million a year and thus still struggle.

I am curious here.
Would you not say the two in bold are some what contradictory.

I'm up at 3:30- 3:45 every single morning and it's just a habit I grew into as a teenager.

When I was still in school I would do all my homework in those early morning hours..............fast forward 45 years...... I ended up doing quotes/estimates and ordering supplies.

Now that I'm slowing down a bit with my business, I come on here being the consummate smart ass. ;) Other than the weekends....... probably 90% of my posts are before 5:30 am and after 2:30 - 3:00 pm. Calamity was the first one on here to notice the consistent time gaps.

Can't beat having some quiet time.

I am curious here.
Would you not say the two in bold are some what contradictory.

Not really. Classical music and Jazz have proven to be beneficial to studying/writing. They aren't distracting, or engage a different part of the brain than does reading or the spoken word.

I find that without the classical music my thoughts tend to drift more easily. I remember back in college reading something about it in an article about study habits and found it very effective. It's like Classical Music and Jazz place a barrier between you and random thoughts.

Also, a famous author acquaintance of mine turned me to Jazz music while writing. I had found that classical music helped with writing the same way it did studying, but since his suggestion, I find jazz much more conducive to writing. I don't know why.

I'm up at 3:30- 3:45 every single morning and it's just a habit I grew into as a teenager.

When I was still in school I would do all my homework in those early morning hours..............fast forward 45 years...... I ended up doing quotes/estimates and ordering supplies.

Now that I'm slowing down a bit with my business, I come on here being the consummate smart ass. ;) Other than the weekends....... probably 90% of my posts are before 5:30 am and after 2:30 - 3:00 pm. Calamity was the first one on here to notice the consistent time gaps.

Can't beat having some quiet time.

in college I swore by my up at 3AM regimen. Granted, I lived at home during college since I had a good school a mile from my front door and was paying for it myself... and that whole 6 brothers in a 1200 sqr ft house made 3AM the only time I could get in 3-4 hours of uninterrupted quiet for study and paper writing.

Regardless of how much or how little money you make you choose your standard of living. You can make a million a year, spend a million a year and thus still struggle.
You mean even rich people can be idiots?

Shocking!

in college I swore by my up at 3AM regimen. Granted, I lived at home during college since I had a good school a mile from my front door and was paying for it myself... and that whole 6 brothers in a 1200 sqr ft house made 3AM the only time I could get in 3-4 hours of uninterrupted quiet for study and paper writing.

I have 3 dogs staring holes through me in the morning waiting on 4:30 for feeding, but other than that........it's me time.

I have 3 dogs staring holes through me in the morning waiting on 4:30 for feeding, but other than that........it's me time.

I have lazy dogs. They don't role out of bed util 7:30.

Not really. Classical music and Jazz have proven to be beneficial to studying/writing. They aren't distracting, or engage a different part of the brain than does reading or the spoken word.

I find that without the classical music my thoughts tend to drift more easily. I remember back in college reading something about it in an article about study habits and found it very effective. It's like Classical Music and Jazz place a barrier between you and random thoughts.

Also, a famous author acquaintance of mine turned me to Jazz music while writing. I had found that classical music helped with writing the same way it did studying, but since his suggestion, I find jazz much more conducive to writing. I don't know why.
I was more the let your thoughts drift student and then a blitz of coffee and cigarettes just before a deadline. Now if I am reading or writing I prefer to sit outside and have nature as back ground noise.

I was more the let your thoughts drift student and then a blitz of coffee and cigarettes just before a deadline. Now if I am reading or writing I prefer to sit outside and have nature as back ground noise.

Well, I mentioned in another post that I used to get up at 3am to study and write but I'd be lying if a number of those 3am writing sessions weren't for papers do that day. 😆

I had a History & Literature professor take me aside once on one of my last minute papers and tell me I should switch to a History major because my paper was 75% of the way to a doctoral dissertation and I thought to myself "well, I guess I should go back and read what I wrote!" (It was a paper on the Charles Dickens novel Hard Times)

... on rereading the paper I concluded that I should not hold my history professor in such high esteem moving forward. 😄

interesting post.......I agree with it personally.......imo black Americans from urban environments and to some degree even conservative rural environments, that there is a definite degree of push/push back nonsense for these so-called 'discriminations' and are examples of why many white Americans feel that this is politically correct bulsht ......and imo this contributes to the dumbing down and overall lack of educational accomplishment by so many black Americans

Back
Top Bottom