• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:4,590] Study Finds Face Masks Didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have been saying this for over a year. Plenty of examples here at DP

Mask don’t work

——-

Study Finds Face Masks Didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19​

The first ecological study of state mask mandates and their use to include data from the winter case spike has found that widespread mask-wearing likely didn’t slow the spread of COVID-19.

The study, conducted by the University of Louisville using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that “80% of US states mandated masks during the COVID-19 pandemic,” but while “mandates induced greater mask compliance, [they] did not predict lower growth rates when community spread was low (minima) or high (maxima).” The study also found that “mask mandates and use are not associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 spread among US states.”

“Our study indicates that the six-foot rule is insufficient to limit indoor airborne transmission of COVID-19: one must also limit the time spent in an indoor space. Our study demonstrates how this time limit depends on the relevant factors, including room ventilation and filtration and face-mask use,” they said, noting that “face masks can be an extremely effective indoor safety measure.

Maybe next time read the whole sourced article instead of cherry-picked excerpts.

Bottom line from the recent study

” The study also found that “mask mandates and use are not associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 spread among US states.”

Not in the US. In other countries they've worked exceptionally well and outcomes bear that out.
Correlation does not equal causation.

The show that the mandates being complied with is the major reason for these discrepancies.

Not in the US. In other countries they've worked exceptionally well and outcomes bear that out.
Big deal. But yes, this is a US study

The CDC admits they are only up to 40 percent effective. So logically if they allow 60 percent of those who wear them to become infected.......they don't work!

See libs this alone means that if you wore a mask religiously you STILL had a 6 in 10 chance of catching the bug. This is proof that the mask is not capable of preventing infection.

Once again Trump and Trump supporters were right!

Like fauci said in the beginning before he lied to politically damage Trump.

You fools have been lied to. You lapped it up because of your TDS. The experts told you why masks don't work. The virus passes through it. It builds virus in it over time. It causes you to constantly adjust it meaning your hands are in your face area which is bad. Still you bought it hook line and sinker.

I worked at my business for a year without a mask 80 percent of the time or more. Nothing. I did keep distanced and used spit shields. But the things I did that worked were I washed my hands often and don't laugh......I stopped picking my nose! No dirty hands in the eyes, nose, or mouth.

Do you have anything to back this up
Yes

The analysis showed that, out of 15 states that did not require people to wear masks in public, 14 had high COVID-19 rates. Meanwhile, eight states had self-reported adherence rates of 75 percent of greater, and none of these states had a high COVID-19 rate. States with the lowest adherence rates had the greatest likelihood of high COVID-19 rates in the subsequent month.

The eight states with at least 75-percent adherence to mask wearing had a mean COVID-19 rate of 109.26 per 100,000 residents in the subsequent month, while the mean COVID-19 rate was 239.99 for states with less than 75 percent adherence.

These findings provide new evidence in support of mask-wearing as a major factor that contributes to reduced COVID-19 rates. They suggest that policies and public health efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19 should include a focus on improved mask adherence throughout the U.S.

Link

The CDC admits they are only up to 40 percent effective. So logically if they allow 60 percent of those who wear them to become infected.......they don't work!
Masks are intended to protect not the wearer so much as those around them. And on their own they are not 100% effective - social distancing, hand washing are also important.

*This thread title contains bullshit.
Yeap. He backed off the thread title's claim by the 7th post by changing the claim to mask 'mandates' don't work.

Bottom line from the recent study

” The study also found that “mask mandates and use are not associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 spread among US states.”

[
Yeap. He backed off the thread title's claim by the 7th post by changing the claim to mask 'mandates' don't work.
He's correct. Further you can't cite efficacy of masks all you can manage is noticing a correlation.

Wondering how any of us would feel, if being wheeled in for surgery, were we to notice the entire OR team was unmasked.
Good example. Surgical masks are used by the team not to protect themselves, but to protect the patient from the team. On their own they aren't 100%, but with additional precautions such as hand washing, disinfection and air filtration the patient is as protected as possible from infection.

Good example. Surgical masks are used by the team not to protect themselves, but to protect the patient from the team.
they aren't there to protect the patient from any kind of pathogen that might be airborne that's not what they're for.

That's why when you see people working around really deadly airborne pathogens they're not just wearing a face mask.
On their own they aren't 100%, but with additional precautions such as hand washing, disinfection and air filtration the patient is as protected as possible from infection.
When surgeons wear a mask it's to prevent debris from their mouth getting on the patient it's not to stop viruses it doesn't do that.

IMO, there is a fundamental difference between an assertion that mask mandates don't do much to help a population vs saying that masks don't don't individuals. As others here have pointed out, the existence of a mandate does not speak to the degree to which that mandate was followed.

FWIW, I have a hunch this survey is comparing apples and oranges. I suspect we'll find the mast mandates were more likely to exist in "blue" states than "red" states, and one frequent distinction between "blue" and "red" areas of our country is population density.

Back
Top Bottom