• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

Talking points? LOL, results don't matter to people like you who buy rhetoric and ignore substance. Your liberal compassion is showing.

Oh, by the way, tell me which "talking point" isn't accurate and cannot be verified?

Last edited:
I would say that the people earning the most money should pay the highest rate, and at the very least, no less than of a fraction than any group below them.

That happens now, if you are talking earned income, vs. earned income. We allow a break for investment income because of at least two reasons, 1. The money being taxed on initial investment has already been taxed once. 2. We want to encourage investment. When that happens company's flourish, create jobs, and retirement funds benefit. This I know is elementary but, I have heard this meme before, and the demo's just got a tax hike on the top wage earners, and now immediately are hammering for another....So, the original question was, how much? How much do you feel that the wealthy should be allowed to keep of their money, that they earned?

No, no....What sounds like 'sophistry' in this is that you want to on the one hand bring up a specific group of income earners, and what they make, as if it is a bad thing, acknowledging that they actually pay an enormous slice of the burden (if I accept your numbers), while on the other hand using the argument that, oh it is just so unfair that those making magnitudes less have to also pay taxes, when in reality the bottom 47% pay not one dime in income tax when you consider breaks and incentives applied to their withholding at the end of the year...

Then you want to blur the discussion by including other taxes like sales, and property when that has nothing to do with income at all.

When you add in state and local taxes, which are almost all regressive (sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, etc) then the it only gets better.

I agree some states have enormously stifling taxation...I lived in Maryland for 20 years, and loved the area. Had some wonderful friends there, including my wife's family. But, we as a family just couldn't stand it anymore, and the Governor of that state Martin O'Malley has absolutely chased wealth out of that state. We moved to SC 5 years ago and couldn't be happier, or more free.

One would have to willfully ignorant not to understand this, seriously.

You can leave the personal attacks out of it. This is the first exchange between you and I, and I don't think this line serves any purpose at all in your point.

No slight of hand, no tricks....It is what it is....Either you want a country where the dream is the freedom to attain wealth, and live well unfettered by government, and others that did nothing to earn the money you made but want to take it anyway, or you want to live in something else up to and including a communist state....Which is it?

More kitchen sink approach. Ahh joy.

Number one: my name on this forum is Opportunity Cost, use that name and that name only.

Yet you repeatedly linked me, over and over again to conservatism. You seem more keen on labeling me. You are most definitely showing an ideology, you just aren't being honest about it.

I also know your posts are full of arrogance, pomposity, and lecturing tones. You aren't very good at acknowledging others as equals. You also arent within the margin of error on turning your self critical eye on yourself.

Did you actually just assert that I back up an opinion that I said liberalism is racially motivated, then say you arent one to dispute my answer? Then as soon as you were done denying you were a democrat use WE to refer to me as a republican, and in the same paragraph say I engage too much in labeling? So much projection and hypocrisy.

There you go again. You have a lot more invested into labeling me than the other way around. What you are missing is that people dont adhere 100% to a political bent, they tend to support some ideas more than others. YOU want to toss the entire set of ideas at them and personalize it directly to them. Its a pretty dishonest way to debate.

LOL thats your thesis? That conservatism is rotten to the core and racist because slavery was in the constitution...over 200 years ago? And you call ME an absolutist?
You going to square that logical circle or did you miss that movements, people and ideas can change over time?

Talking points? LOL, results don't matter to people like you who buy rhetoric and ignore substance. Your liberal compassion is showing.

Oh, by the way, tell me which "talking point" isn't accurate and cannot be verified?

Probably all of them. There is a site called PolitiFact, that is devoted to checking out claims made by both sides. I'd suggest you go to them. They're non-partisan and will debunk claims made by both sides.

those on the left keep using the word "wingnuts" as a noun instead of an adjective ?

You're right Pach...It's used as a perjorative. I'll try to avoid that in the future.

Probably all of them. There is a site called PolitiFact, that is devoted to checking out claims made by both sides. I'd suggest you go to them. They're non-partisan and will debunk claims made by both sides.

Probably? SO you don't know? You claim Politifact refutes the information but offer nothing to verify it. I prefer bls.gov, bea.gov, and the U.S. treasury dept offering specific data. Those sites offer specific data that show you are getting the country you want, high debt, high unemployment, greater govt. dependence, and low economic growth, congratulations

Thats one interpretation. Since they waited until Atwater was DEAD before they released this....well, you know.

Flawed initial logic in bold renders the rest moot. Very few people accept an entire ideology, they accept portions of it.

I did not offer a "yes". You are projecting again.

Assumption of ignorance in 1st bolded, conclusions without logic are not infallible, kind of like people.

Because your critical thinking is only being applied to one school of thought. Thats an ideologue speaking.

Good. Then you are willing to compromise your beliefs? Is that what you're saying?
Your reading comprehension needs work.

Then you should be wide open to change. A modification of a long held belief is a liberalization of those long held beliefs. Are you saying that you accept liberalism?
LOL Ive heard that sort of quote before, its usually applied to religious practices.

Stop assuming. Your responses aren't nearly as thought out and clever as you think they are.

Agreed. If you have no objections, I'll shorten it to Cost.

Number one: my name on this forum is Opportunity Cost, use that name and that name only.
A critical thinker would be able to READ this and realize I want to be referred to as Opportunity Cost. Use OC if you want a shorter monicker.

I didnt read the rest of your crap, quit wasting my time and yours. Your posts are becoming pathetic time wasters.

Those quotes all contain the source and page numbers, as well as the dates they were published. But you want to quibble over the technicallity of a URL? :roll:

Its called fair use it prevents the website from being sued over coprighted material. Take it up with a mod.

Ok. OC it is. If you don't want to deal with my posts, then don't respond to them. How's that?

URLs are required.

9. Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work.
Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 US CODE: Title 17,107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Moderator's Warning:
Do NOT play moderator. If you think a post violates rules, report it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…