• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Slower decay of landfalling Hurricanes in a warmer world — really?

As more research is done the linked OP article findings will either be confirmed or not. Some reviewers of the paper agree with the findings of the researcher.

"Since flooding is the major cause of death and destruction from landfalling tropical storms, this study suggests the potential for even greater risk than has been established in past studies,” Mann said “It’s a simple idea, but it requires quite a bit of work to establish that this is really happening. And that’s what the authors, in my view, have done here.”

Noting the findings, Jim Kossin, a hurricane expert with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration who also did not participate in the study, said,“I find it somewhat remarkable that these trends we keep discovering are so disproportionately for the worse.”

In a Warming World, Hurricanes Weaken More Slowly After They Hit Land - Inside Climate News

Have you ever seen a cloudless Hurricane? I have not. Do you understand the nature of Clouds?

Science still is learning about them.

Then don't. I don't care. If you think the video is important enough to post, then you should be able to summarize it.
That ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆ is a fallacy.

The term summarize is interesting to you then? And then what? Rather than deal with the topic, you aim at me instead?

A paper is out discussing slower decay in landfalling hurricanes in a warmer world. This paper deals with that discussion.

What worries me so much about the alarmists is that they are one trick ponies. Get off your arse and ban carbon dioxide is their claims. I am not going to stop breathing or living a good clean productive life over your fears I say back.
I'm confused. This paper shows that hurricanes are retaining their destructive force longer after making landfall due to warming temperatures. Why is that not a cause for alarm?

Also, pretty sure no one is proposing "ban[ning] carbon dioxide" or "stop breathing" as solutions -- why isn't that alarmist?

As more research is done the linked OP article findings will either be confirmed or not. Some reviewers of the paper agree with the findings of the researcher.

"Since flooding is the major cause of death and destruction from landfalling tropical storms, this study suggests the potential for even greater risk than has been established in past studies,” Mann said “It’s a simple idea, but it requires quite a bit of work to establish that this is really happening. And that’s what the authors, in my view, have done here.”

Noting the findings, Jim Kossin, a hurricane expert with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration who also did not participate in the study, said,“I find it somewhat remarkable that these trends we keep discovering are so disproportionately for the worse.”

In a Warming World, Hurricanes Weaken More Slowly After They Hit Land - Inside Climate News

From your own article.

In a Warming World, Hurricanes Weaken More Slowly After They Hit Land
Scientists say global warming is likely to fuel more intense storms. But earlier projections of an overall drop in the number of storms are not holding up.

Gee wonder what happened to the earlier projections?

I'm confused. This paper shows that hurricanes are retaining their destructive force longer after making landfall due to warming temperatures. Why is that not a cause for alarm?

Also, pretty sure no one is proposing "ban[ning] carbon dioxide" or "stop breathing" as solutions -- why isn't that alarmist?

They aim to stop emitting Carbon Dioxide. A valuable life giving gas for plants.

So now the game is denial? Deny the Alarmists want to kill off Carbon Dioxide emissions?

No they do not mention breathing. All animals emit carbon dioxide. Biden rushed to Paris tossing money at them as if they can correct Climate.

From your own article.

In a Warming World, Hurricanes Weaken More Slowly After They Hit Land
Scientists say global warming is likely to fuel more intense storms. But earlier projections of an overall drop in the number of storms are not holding up.

Gee wonder what happened to the earlier projections?
What part of my statement of "
"As more research is done the linked OP article findings will either be confirmed or not. Some reviewers of the paper agree with the findings of the researcher."
confused you?

"As more research is done the linked OP article findings will either be confirmed or not. Some reviewers of the paper agree with the findings of the researcher."
confused you?
What part of the paper I presented confuses you?

Is there a point here? I sure don’t see it. And you do know that the paper indicates even more destruction from hurricanes over land that’s in the past, right?
The questionable paper you mean? Peer reviewed it is not holding up.

confused you?
It didn't confuse me.

A paper is out discussing slower decay in landfalling hurricanes in a warmer world. This paper deals with that discussion.

What worries me so much about the alarmists is that they are one trick ponies. Get off your arse and ban carbon dioxide is their claims. I am not going to stop breathing or living a good clean productive life over your fears I say back.

by Frank Bosse

A recent paper published in “Nature” made some excitement in the media, see here or here.

In the paper by Li & Chakraborty (L&C 2020 thereafter), the authors find a statistically significant increase of the decay time when a North Atlantic hurricane makes a landfall due to warmer SST in a warming environment. They also undertake some model-related research about the impact of this observations.

The key point of thepaper is the finding that warmer SSTs lengthen the decay time of hurricanes after landfalls.

In L&C 2020, this is shown by figure 1f:
If by decay time you mean the time a hurricane begins to dissipate over land then duh? Thats pretty much a no brainer.

If by decay time you mean the time a hurricane begins to dissipate over land then duh? Thats pretty much a no brainer.
Consult the paper. It is the decisions of the paper as opposed to me as the poster.

It is. Show otherwise. You can’t.
Seems you have not shown it is. Tell you what to do.

Talk it over with the Russians. The Chinese, The Indian Government. Talk it over with South America and Africa. See if they want to live in the stone age.

Seems you have not shown it is. Tell you what to do.

Talk it over with the Russians. The Chinese, The Indian Government. Talk it over with South America and Africa. See if they want to live in the stone age.

There is no indication that a proper response to manmade global warming will result in that. On the other hand, they will suffer much from the consequences of the problem, and it will cost them much money.

There are no indications that the tiny amount of warming will result in global disaster.

VIVID IMAGINATION ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆

This is all that I said.

If that's the extent of your 'con' argument against AGW then you cause no harm to the 'pro' cause.

And fwiw, neither does your John Robson with his historian pseudo-science. Climate science denialists only gain fame if real climate scientists have a reason to rebut and disprove people such as Robson.

I'm no climate science expert but I know more than enough to be able to rebut anything you've had to offer so far.

Keep breathing and living a good productive life! Many Americans have shortened life spans due to dirty air. Too much junk food, lack of affordable access to health care, and poor air quality are some of the factors that contribute to your country's shortened life expectancy.

Back
Top Bottom