• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

Should there be sex offense convictions based on accusers word without corroboration?

• Yes -- more then now.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Yes -- keep current system.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Yes -- in very rare cases.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • No.

Votes: 27 84.4%

• Total voters

SCitizen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There are 774,600 Registered Sex Offenders in the U.S. and its Territories. About 220,000 sex offenders are in prisons and jails and about 12,000 more are in involuntary commitment institutions. Many or most of these offenders have been convicted on the accuser's word without other corroboration. Before mid 1980s corroboration was needed for conviction. Many sex offense prosecutors consider the ability to convict without corroboration a great victory. On the other hand, only about 16% of the accused are convicted.

In my opinion, corroborative evidence should be required for criminal convictions -- especially if the punishment is life long. Nevertheless, my opinion may be in minority.

most sex offenders aren't convicted because the victim is almost always put on trial.

most sex offenders aren't convicted because the victim is almost always put on trial.

Actually in most cases the accusation does not get to trial. Most convictions are obtained by guilty plea -- the accused do not want to risk the penalty for jury trial.

. Many or most of these offenders have been convicted on the accuser's word without other corroboration.

Source for that please.

Every trial requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt before conviction. Corroborative evidence is a very broad term. Eye witnesses? Not required. DNA evidence? Not required. Cuts and bruises? Not required. It's the totality of the circumstances that speak. If a person is found guilty of a sexual offense, it's because there was corroborative evidence. We don't convict people based upon a mere accusation.

We don't convict people based upon a mere accusation.

In most date rape cases there is evidence of intercourse, but not evidence of force or lack of consent.

In most date rape cases there is evidence of intercourse, but not evidence of force or lack of consent.

How many men/women get convicted of date rape? If all the evidence available is she said/he said, the guy isn't going to be convicted. It's the totality of the circumstances. Did she report it to the police immediately? Was she drugged? Was she drunk? Did anyone see her same? Were they on a first date? Did she spurn him? Without some back-up evidence or testimony or circumstances, no one's even going to be charged.

If someone is accused of anything, let alone a sex crime, without proof and they plead guilty - they're idiots. The system is designed to give benefit of the doubt, so even people who actually did do it are often better to go to trial than plead out.

The Innocence Project - Dallas County Cases Where DNA Has Proven Innocence

In 1983, Keith E. Turner was convicted of a 1982 aggravated sexual assault and sentenced to 20 years in prison, of which he served four years. Turner was exonerated and pardoned in 2005.

Gregory Wallis was convicted in 1989 of burglary of a habitation with intent to commit sexual assault in 1988. He was sentenced to 50 years in prison and served 18 years. He was released in March 2006 and officially exonerated in 2007.

Exonerated by DNA evidence, James Bain isn't angry about spending 35 years of his life in prison for a horrific crime that he didn't commit.

Read more: James Bain Exonerated After 35 Years In Prison - Business Insider

15 People Who Were Jailed and/or Executed, Then Found Innocent | Raw Justice

In 2009 the case was reopened, however, the Governor of Texas mysteriously reappointed four of the nine members of the Forensic Science Commission. Still, court changed the conviction to unsustainable in 2009.

10 Convicts Presumed Innocent After Execution - Listverse

.... Continued....

Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row | Death Penalty Information Center

... Continued...

There's nothing sadder than a list like this. One wonders, as in one case where a signed confession was ignored and never, apparently, passed on to the defense, if anyone goes to jail or loses their law license or is censured in any way.

Every once in a while we read about someone where new evidence has absolutely shown that the person is not guilty, yet just to get it reviewed takes years. It shouldn't be that way.

The justice system is far from perfect. Thanks for the work you went to in order to remind us.

If someone is accused of anything, let alone a sex crime, without proof and they plead guilty - they're idiots. The system is designed to give benefit of the doubt, so even people who actually did do it are often better to go to trial than plead out.

In theory, you're right. In practice, the state can spend a family broke. Public defenders are only appointed if one is broke. Getting there may devastate an innocent man and his family.

In theory, you're right. In practice, the state can spend a family broke. Public defenders are only appointed if one is broke. Getting there may devastate an innocent man and his family.

If it ever happened to me, I would defend myself. I've seen enough Law and Order. I can manage.

If it ever happened to me, I would defend myself. I've seen enough Law and Order. I can manage.

BREAKING NEWS: Libertarian receives death penalty for shoplifting licorice. Details at 11.

This would be a very bad idea.

This would be a very bad idea.

Not really. I've had a few law classes in college and I keep up on courtroom procedure. I'm also a rather eloquent speaker.

Am I Johnny Cochran? Nope. Could I get myself off from a baseless charge? Easily.

Not really. I've had a few law classes in college and I keep up on courtroom procedure. I'm also a rather eloquent speaker.

Am I Johnny Cochran? Nope. Could I get myself off from a baseless charge? Easily.

You sound confident, so I won't worry about you. Hopefully you'll never have to defend yourself.

There is still the totality of the circumstances around it.

What is the source for this?

What is the source for this?

Conviction rates, for starters. Lots of date rape cases get wiped clean by "it was consentual" claims. Usually the ones that result in conviction involve the victims reporting defensive wounds or other sorts of violence.

Hearsay? No, hearsay is not evidence and should not be sole consideration of guilt.

Hearsay? No, hearsay is not evidence and should not be sole consideration of guilt.

Ayup - when only two people are involved, additional evidence is required for conviction.

Ayup - when only two people are involved, additional evidence is required for conviction.

I had a lawyer once that referred to the two people situation as a "liar's war".

In USA any plea deal on such crimes still involves lifetime sentence. In Canada, Australia, UK, France, a plea can get the accused a few yer sentence.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…