• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should SCOTUS have term limits?

Should SCOTUS have term limits?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe/Other/I don't know/Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not an ideologue or an ultra partisan. As such I want checks and balance. With the nuclear option available these days, my best results for 2020 would be Biden president, the GOP retains the Senate along with the democrats retaining the house. That how I voted. I'm positive that if the democrats take all three, the presidency, the senate and the house, the last of minority rights in the senate will be stripped away. That will give the democrats carte blanche to do as they wish with no meaningful opposition at all. That I don't want. Of course this also goes for the Republicans, I don't want them in complete control either.

I want which ever party is in control to govern America as America as a whole and not govern just for their base which makes up approximately a third of all america by telling the other two thirds to go to Hades.
For the most part, Americans have almost always made sure that no one party controls everything. On the few occasions where they did, voters soon changed things. What neither side seems to ever understand is that voters don't want one party controlling everything. In fact, voters actually prefer gridlock to one party control. Whenever one party does get control they seem to have the illusion that it will last forever and that the other party is dead, never to be heard from again. Neither side ever gets the message that voters as a whole don't want one party control.

If the GOP keeps the Senate, it will behave like it did under Obama. Pass nothing, do nothing, and have shut downs. I want the government to work. I want the courts to be moderate. The courts are way too far right
Well, you don't seem to want the government to work while under Republican control, now do you?

I am not old enough nor followed politics long enough to know the history of these fights. I know I want the government to work, and it does not appear to work with a McConnell in charge of the senate and this is with the filibuster, right?

I am not convinced how things could get better in this state
Government has not worked the last four years under Trump because Democrats have been the resistance. You only want government to work when the government reflects your beliefs. If it doesn't then you don't want government to work.

Have it your way, but I would place all the blame for what you're talking about on the shoulders of Reid. If you like going to 13 SCOTUS justices, then 17, then 21, then 25 or more... You want to jerk this country to the extreme left than once you lose power, let the other side jerk it to the extreme right.

If that's this country's political future, I want nothing to do with it. You certainly wouldn't have this problem with past party leaders. Both party leaders. Lott and Daschle, Mitchell and Dole, Baker and Byrd, how could they work together and get things accomplish while Reid had to resort to the nuclear option, where McConnell expanded it, where escalation is the way of our political further? Is there anyone in Washington that thinks and put the country first, ahead of their political party. It sure doesn't look like it to me.

I really don't think either major political party will be happy until they destroy the other and if the country gets destroyed in the process, so be it. `I really don't think either party cares.
It's amazing how many of these people think that Reid was God and that McConnell is nothing but scum or Moscow Mitch.

For the most part, Americans have almost always made sure that no one party controls everything. On the few occasions where they did, voters soon changed things. What neither side seems to ever understand is that voters don't want one party controlling everything. In fact, voters actually prefer gridlock to one party control. Whenever one party does get control they seem to have the illusion that it will last forever and that the other party is dead, never to be heard from again. Neither side ever gets the message that voters as a whole don't want one party control.
Exactly and recent history proves that. This election is a referendum on Trump and his childish antics and very unpresidential behavior. If the people give complete control to the Democrats, it won't be a mandate or they actually want the democrats in control or approve of their policies. It will be because they want Trump gone.

History, 1994, Bill Clinton president, Democrats in full control of congress, lost congress. 2006, Bush president, Republicans in full control of congress, the GOP lost congress. 2010 Obama president, Democrats in full control of congress, the democrats lost the house, then in 2014 the senate. 2018, Trump president, Republicans in full control of congress, the GOP lost the House and it seems will lose the presidency and the senate this year if things continue as they are today. A mighty big if.

Now I must repeat this, if the Democrats gain full control it won't be because the people like the Democrats more than the Republicans or want them in full charge. It will be they absolutely want Trump gone and the Democrats are the lesser of two evils, a tool to be utilized to get rid of Trump. If the Democrats take this as a mandate or approval of themselves by the people and over react, they'll lose the House in 2022. Write that down.

Exactly and recent history proves that. This election is a referendum on Trump and his childish antics and very unpresidential behavior. If the people give complete control to the Democrats, it won't be a mandate or they actually want the democrats in control or approve of their policies. It will be because they want Trump gone.

History, 1994, Bill Clinton president, Democrats in full control of congress, lost congress. 2006, Bush president, Republicans in full control of congress, the GOP lost congress. 2010 Obama president, Democrats in full control of congress, the democrats lost the house, then in 2014 the senate. 2018, Trump president, Republicans in full control of congress, the GOP lost the House and it seems will lose the presidency and the senate this year if things continue as they are today. A mighty big if.

Now I must repeat this, if the Democrats gain full control it won't be because the people like the Democrats more than the Republicans or want them in full charge. It will be they absolutely want Trump gone and the Democrats are the lesser of two evils, a tool to be utilized to get rid of Trump. If the Democrats take this as a mandate or approval of themselves by the people and over react, they'll lose the House in 2022. Write that down.
The definition of a mandate is when you win the election by just one vote. The definition of compromise is when the other side comes over and does it your way.

The definition of a mandate is when you win the election by just one vote. The definition of compromise is when the other side comes over and does it your way.
Sad, but true in how the two major parties take these things.

Back
Top Bottom