• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shannon Sharpe On Being Black In America

When he tells me what I see.

He is talking about what we physically see. Unless you are blind I do not see why you are offended.

I suggest you do some research. Canada is far more diverse than the US.

Once again, Canada is 80% White. USA is 60% White.

You will be surprised to note that in Vancouver white is not a majority, is a plurality.

Most major cities in the USA do not have a majority white population.

Toronto has a higher percentage of blacks than Omaha, Nebraska

:lamo Comparing super-white Omaha to Toronto.

I never once said every city in the US has more racial diversity than Canada. I was referring to the countries as a whole.

We are the only country in the America's to have had a visible minority as head of state, Chinese-Canadian Adrian Clarkson.

Good for you. We have Obama as POTUS.

I am not wasting another second with you on this.

Then stop posting.

As the stats I posted show, Canada has only a slightly higher percentage of 'whites' than America and is,

If you consider 20% to be "slightly higher." :roll:

IMO, more culturally diverse.

Haha, "your opinion."

It is clear that the type of diversity this thread is centered around is racial diversity. I don't remember many Louisiana or Maine communities having conflicts because the residents spoke French.

You appear to not have not a clue what you are talking about on this subject...good day.

:roll:

Canada is 80% White. USA is 60% White. Never said Canada did not have diversity.

USA is 63% -78% white depending on if hispanics tick white or not...

USA is 63% -78% white depending on if hispanics tick white or not...
That depends...on if you are counting Hispanics for the sake of benefit to the Latino community or if are you calling them white because they did something wrong.

Kapernick is black in pigment only. So are many east Indians, and they get along just fine. He is an ungreatfull jerk with zero street cred with the true "non-Oreo" blacks.

He's a dude that lost his starting job and is about to be out of the league.

So he went Michael Sam on everybody.

Nothing more.

I hear you Excon (and you, too, VanceMack), but the issue Shannon Sharpe raised wasn't about the crimes Eric Garner, Mike Brown or other Black people have committed and whether or not they complied with police instructions let alone the law. It was about how local police often perceive Black suspects before taking them into custody and after they've been apprehended and the unfair/harsh treatment that ensues.

I think we all can agree that White people are killed at the hands of police officers as often if not more than Blacks. I think we can also agree that in most cases any time anyone shows themselves to be non-compliant with the police they're bound to be treated very harshly. However, what Mr. Sharpe was trying to articulate is that police officers will more often than not enter into a policing situation where if the suspect is Black they have a completely different mind-set about how to handle the situation than if the suspect were White. Studies have already concluded as much.

Racial Profiling and Traffic Stops | National Institute of Justice

Race, Trust and Police Legitimacy | National Institute of Justice

Major study find police stop blacks more often than whites. - Hartford Courant

Now, granted there are other so-called independent studies that claim otherwise like this one:

The Racial Profiling Myth Debunked | City Journal

However, most like the one above conducted in the state of Connecticut (3rd linked article), such studies were geographical in scope and not national. Of course, if you believe that racism is geographical and that one part of a select region will view race relations different than another, then I suppose such studies can stand up to scrutiny. In either case, I leave it up to the reader to decide for himself which is true: Is their racial bias on the part of law enforcement or isn't there?

We can all view video footage of policing incidents and cherry pick which ones fit our narrative same as we do any news article or study as those I've posted above. But there's no denying that there have been incidents where police have abused a Black suspect all the while demanding that he or she "stop resisting" when it's clear that the police officer's own actions grossly augmented the situation, escalating things beyond behavioral norms where had the office backed off the suspect very likely would have readily complied. In contrast, there have also been situations where comparatively police have apprehended a White suspect whose crime was far worse than say, "selling a loose leaf cigarettes" and that suspect was mildly subdued. To pretend that there isn't a contrast in prevailing attitudes of many police officers is foolish. It happens! And all Mr. Sharpe and the BLM movement are ultimately asking is "Why?".

I, for one, could understand if such policing practices were limited to densely populated urban communities where violent crime rates were excessively high. But when such actions by police also occur in the suburbs or rural areas or on our interstate and/or rural/state highways, that tells me the issue goes beyond the accepted believe that "Black people as a percentage of the population commit more violent crimes than Whites." What this tells me is police in general hold true to the belief that "Black people are prone to more violent behavior than Whites," and as such they enter into situation prone to do harm before harm is done unto them.

BTW, while you are correct that the police did not take Dylon Roof to Burger King, they did buy him food from Burger King after he was apprehended from evading police for 16 hours.

Most people would rightfully ask the question, "Why would the police buy this murderer food after giving chase for 16 hours? The answer is because it's the law as this article from Snopes.com points out.

It's further understandable why Black people upon seeing all the abusive behavior bestowed upon Blacks would ask, "If Dylon Roof were Black and had been on the run for that long and claimed he was hungry would the police have stopped and got him food, as well?"

The hope is that the police would have followed the rules for a Black murder suspect in the same or similar situation as they would have this White murder suspect. (I call him a "suspect" because he hasn't had his day in court yet.)

No, the police didn't take him to Burger King - neither the drive-up window nor sit down in the dining area, but they did get him food from Burger King.

Last edited:
His comments were predicated on false narratives.

That reads as though it is the Officer with the perception issue instead of what is reflected in the information you provided suggesting the perception issue actually lies within the black culture.
And no, that does not sound what like what he is trying to communicate, especially as it appears he has this perception problem as well.

The majority of complaints are based on false narratives. That is where the problem lay.

[Three links]
Now, granted there are other so-called independent studies that claim otherwise like this one:

[Another link]
I am not sure you understand what you are reading.

It might be better if you actually quote what you think supports what you are saying so it can be ascertained if it does.

Trying to compared unrelated "Cherry picked "events involving different Officers when they are not reflective of the whole, is asinine.

BTW, while you are correct that the police did not take Dylon Roof to Burger King, ....
This issue over the Burger King meal was dispelled long ago.
That this guy didn't know that is the problem.

Making things up to believe, is not understandable.
Not bothering to look into it, is not understandable.

This could easily be worded...

The "pro"-crowd can't be reasoned with, because they simply don't want to hear anything which deviates from the preconceived narrative of LE hero worship, and a ghetto & media conspiracy to thwart it. I'm sorry, but that position's just not grounded in reality.

...and be equally valid.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…