• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robotics

code1211

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I just watched a story on a business network regarding robotics. It was specifically on the robots discussed in this article linked below.

This style of robot is presented as a variety that can deliver in neighborhoods with no human oversight. Mechanical delivery devices to replace the Dominoes driver or grocery or restaurant delivery folks.

This particular style of robot seems custom made to be abused by miscreants inclined to abuse them.

In the immediate future time frame though, I can definitely see this employed in Fulfillment Centers like Amazon or Walmart warehouses or as delivery modes for room services in hotels.

Purpose built robots to do specific tasks are coming very, VERY soon to employers near all of us. They will obviously be superior to human employees in almost every way.

I would expect that in the very near future, robots will be shopping for computer received grocery orders,
rolling themselves to the loading dock and loading themselves onto robotic delivery vehicles
and then, when the delivery vehicle robot drives them to the address, rolling from the delivery robot vehicles to the front doors of customers to drop the delivered the goods.

This morning, my wife submitted an order to Kroger for groceries. A human read the order and hand picked the items ordered. A human delivered the order. Kroger is paying humans an average wage of about $12.00/hour.

A robot can work 168 hours per week. 168 X $12 = $2016 per week. That's 4.2 FTE's. A robot needs no vacation, does not call in sick, is not a union member and NEVER files a complaint with HR.

Cost? Not listed in the article. What if it's about $6000. Throw in the maintenance agreement for a total of $7000. A good robot sounds like a bargain.

Human beings walking around, shopping in Grocery stores may soon be as quaint as hard copy newspapers have become.

The automated teller is expanding its reach.

<snip>
Serve began rolling out its next generation of robots in December and says it recently completed its first delivery at Level 4 autonomy, which SAE defines as a system that can drive autonomously as long as certain conditions are met and will not require a human to take over driving. The startup's robots currently have L4 capabilities in some neighborhoods in Los Angeles, such as Hollywood, where Serve has been operating since 2018, Kashani said.
<snip>

This style of robot is presented as a variety that can deliver in neighborhoods with no human oversight. Mechanical delivery devices to replace the Dominoes driver or grocery or restaurant delivery folks.
They have been riding around Moscow for a long time. Long ago... Of course I exaggerate this. Yandex robots have been delivering both products and courier packages for some time.
They drive necessarily only where there are video cameras, and now it's probably 80% of Moscow streets and alleys. In general, street crime in Moscow has greatly decreased, cameras are everywhere and criminals are instantly tracked.You can search on YouTube... I've seen a lot where passers-by push these robots out of snowdrifts)))

A robot can work 168 hours per week. 168 X $12 = $2016 per week. That's 4.2 FTE's. A robot needs no vacation, does not call in sick, is not a union member and NEVER files a complaint with HR.

Cost? Not listed in the article. What if it's about $6000. Throw in the maintenance agreement for a total of $7000. A good robot sounds like a bargain.

Robotics and automation are a boon to humanity. Let's hope they keep destroying jobs, as the more jobs they destroy the better off we become.

They have been riding around Moscow for a long time. Long ago... Of course I exaggerate this. Yandex robots have been delivering both products and courier packages for some time.
They drive necessarily only where there are video cameras, and now it's probably 80% of Moscow streets and alleys. In general, street crime in Moscow has greatly decreased, cameras are everywhere and criminals are instantly tracked.You can search on YouTube... I've seen a lot where passers-by push these robots out of snowdrifts)))

I never understand why folks amputate a shred of a thought and quote it as if it is the whole thought.

robots are the future......humans will be phased out.....it's progress.....

I just watched a story on a business network regarding robotics. It was specifically on the robots discussed in this article linked below.

This particular style of robot seems custom made to be abused by miscreants inclined to abuse them.

In the immediate future time frame though, I can definitely see this employed in Fulfillment Centers like Amazon or Walmart warehouses or as delivery modes for room services in hotels.

Purpose built robots to do specific tasks are coming very, VERY soon to employers near all of us. They will obviously be superior to human employees in almost every way.

I would expect that in the very near future, robots will be shopping for computer received grocery orders,
rolling themselves to the loading dock and loading themselves onto robotic delivery vehicles
and then, when the delivery vehicle robot drives them to the address, rolling from the delivery robot vehicles to the front doors of customers to drop the delivered the goods.

This morning, my wife submitted an order to Kroger for groceries. A human read the order and hand picked the items ordered. A human delivered the order. Kroger is paying humans an average wage of about $12.00/hour.

Human beings walking around, shopping in Grocery stores may soon be as quaint as hard copy newspapers have become.

The automated teller is expanding its reach.

<snip>
Serve began rolling out its next generation of robots in December and says it recently completed its first delivery at Level 4 autonomy, which SAE defines as a system that can drive autonomously as long as certain conditions are met and will not require a human to take over driving. The startup's robots currently have L4 capabilities in some neighborhoods in Los Angeles, such as Hollywood, where Serve has been operating since 2018, Kashani said.
<snip>
The cost for such robots would be much higher than $6000.

Figure $15 000 for the more basic autonomous robots that move around and do complex tasks beyond delivering an item

The cost for such robots would be much higher than $6000.

Figure $15 000 for the more basic autonomous robots that move around and do complex tasks beyond delivering an item

The finances are easily overcome at twice that number.

One question, though, is where will the entry level employee enter the work force in the future?

The most basic skill for work is the very basic, learned skill of simply waking up and getting to work on time to fulfill your part of the team's function.

How will employees learn this skill if they never have the entry level type of job that has been filled by robots?

Back
Top Bottom