• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans seem to have no clue on how our immigration system works

It's not "whataboutism", it's a direct response to the source/topic YOU mentioned:

You're griping about the Biden Administration's attempts to right a very bad wrong created by the trump Administration.
The source topic I mentioned was Biden’s polices and you came back with what about trumps policies though.

I’m griping about Biden’s policies and how he has run the immigration issue. He didn’t do a good job and it’s not Trumps fault. Do you hold him accountable at all for the immigration issues we are having?
As much as I held trump responsible for "the immigration issues" we had during his term in the WH.

Did you hold trump responsible for "the immigration issues" we had during his term in the WH?

The source topic I mentioned was Biden’s polices and you came back with what about trumps policies though.
Your cite referenced trump's horrific policy of kidnapping children, hiding them around the country, and then being unable to FIND the children because, according to trump's Administration, their record-keeping was sloppy.

Didn't you glance at your own copy-and-paste?

You brought up one of "trump's policies". Any finger-pointing or complaint should be directed at yourself.

Your cite referenced trump's horrific policy of kidnapping children, hiding them around the country, and then being unable to FIND the children because, according to trump's Administration, their record-keeping was sloppy.

Didn't you glance at your own copy-and-paste?

You brought up one of "trump's policies". Any finger-pointing or complaint should be directed at yourself.
You act like I’m defending all of Trumps policies. I don’t think they were all good, I don’t even like Trump. However, I’ll take his immigration numbers to Biden’s any day and Biden eventually reinstated some of Trumps policies and started to build the wall again. So either not all of what Trump did was wrong or Biden is wrong. I’ll happily admit Trump didn’t do it right but he sure as hell did better than Biden. Again, will you admit any error on Biden’s part?

As much as I held trump responsible for "the immigration issues" we had during his term in the WH.

Did you hold trump responsible for "the immigration issues" we had during his term in the WH?
You act like I’m defending all of Trumps policies. I don’t think they were all good, I don’t even like Trump. However, I’ll take his immigration numbers to Biden’s any day and Biden eventually reinstated some of Trumps policies and started to build the wall again. So either not all of what Trump did was wrong or Biden is wrong. I’ll happily admit Trump didn’t do it right but he sure as hell did better than Biden. Again, will you admit any error on Biden’s part?
Did you hold trump responsible for immigration issues during his term in the WH?

Bullshit.

The crisis exists because the house won't act.
Well, yeah, but that's putting blame with the part of the Government responsible for addressing the issue.

Not a popular position....

"House Republicans in recent weeks have blown up an immigration deal negotiated by their own party in the Senate and urged President Biden to adopt border measures that courts have found illegal. A cynic might say this is all theater — that Republicans (led by former president Donald Trump) want to keep immigration problems going through the election. But did anyone consider a simpler explanation: that Republicans have no clue how our immigration system works.

“If [Biden] wants our conference to view him as a good faith negotiator, he can start with the stroke of a pen,” Johnson said. There are a few problems with this claim. First, Biden has already issued more than 500 immigration-related executive actions, more than Trump announced over four years, according to the Migration Policy Institute. Biden has arguably exhausted the extent of his presidential authority, and so far his measures haven’t stemmed the tide of border crossings. Second, if Biden hasn’t revived Trump’s specific policies — as Republicans urge him to do — that’s largely because so many Trump policies were found to be illegal.

Johnson has also demanded that Biden begin “renewing construction of the border wall.” On this policy, Biden’s obstacle isn’t executive authority exactly. It’s insufficient funding, says Aaron Reichlin-Melnick, policy director at the American Immigration Council. Alas, House Republicans appear unlikely to fund it. How do we know? Because last year the Republican-controlled House passed a different (much more draconian) immigration bill, known as H.R. 2. This was basically a messaging bill, though lately Johnson has said it’s the only immigration-related legislation his chamber would consider. That bill would require Biden to restart wall construction, as set down in the fiscal 2019 appropriations bill, but it does not give any new funds that would be necessary to build the wall, Reichlin-Melnick says."

Similarly, Johnson has demanded that Biden end “catch and release,” which would mean detaining anyone waiting for their asylum claim to be heard in court. But there’s nowhere near enough funding under current law to provide that number of detention beds. Unsurprisingly, H.R. 2 provides zero new money for this objective either.

Link

I've noticed this dearth of knowledge about our immigration system discussing the issue here with the right-wingers. Turns our this ignorance may be systemic.
Good article. For one thing, it makes that point that it's up to Congress to provide both appropriate legislation and funding. And that Congress has failed to do this.

...Not since President Reagan signed a landmark 1986 immigration act has Congress been able to agree on policies to better control the migration waves, despite presidents of both parties trying their darndest to get new laws signed and more funds approved. Republicans doomed compromises under Presidents George W. Bush and Obama.

Bush’s second-term Homeland Security secretary, Michael Chertoff, nodded to Congress’ sorry record when he came to Mayorkas’ defense this week in a Wall Street Journal op-ed. Despite insufficient resources, the Department of Homeland Security under Mayorkas “removed, returned or expelled” more migrants in late 2023 than in any similar period of the past decade, he wrote.

“The truth is that our national immigration system is outdated, and DHS leaders under both parties have done their best to manage our immigration system without adequate congressional support ...,” Chertoff added. “House Republicans are ducking difficult policy work and hard-fought compromise.”...

Interesting. Copy and paste excerpts you believe are salient.

Now, back to the question: Did you hold trump responsible for immigration issues during his term in the WH?
I already have answered it, you have yet to answer any of mine. Biden has separated children from families and had them held by border patrol for over ten days when the maximum limit is 72 hours. This has been policy at the border for a long time, Trumps mistake was making it a zero tolerance policy and he then reversed it. How about answering some of my questions then. You gonna hold Biden accountable?

Back
Top Bottom