• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope in new book says gay people should not join Catholic clergy

Incorrect. The vast majority of abuse cases weren't pedophilia.

One has to wonder if becoming a nun doesn't have a certain appeal to closet lesbians, subconsciously.

From my time trying to be a Franciscan Friar, I can tell you that religious life is a draw for gay men.

There have been gay priests since the beginning of the church. I think even given Catholicism's stance on gays, most Catholics have no problem with a gay priest as long as that person keeps their vow. Again, from my time in religious life, I can tell of two Friars who were priests: one had a girlfriend, and one wasn't shy about preferring men, but kept his vows. I know which one was more respected (and which was my confessor).

Yep. The idea is you give up sexual desire for service to god; your sexual orientation shouldn't matter.

Actually...the idea was that removing sex from the clergy removed the chance of there being wives and children to leave any land or possessions to...I believe.

With a horrible record of priests raping boys, it only stands to reason.

Prohibition never conforms to reality. Look what alcohol prohibition accomplished: nearly every one became a scofflaw.

Whether you think it works or not isn't your call. The Catholics get to decide their policy and what works for them.

Why are you lying.... He said "Gay people shouldn't be priests IF THEY CANNOT REMAIN CELIBATE"

As in he doesn't want bunch of gay priests forming sex clubs.

Because that would be so much worse than a bunch of straight priests forming sex clubs? The problem is not with sexual orientation. It's with predatory sexual behavior, whether the actor is gay or straight. To call out those of one orientation and not the other is scapegoating.

One has to wonder if becoming a nun doesn't have a certain appeal to closet lesbians, subconsciously.

you actually make a good point. I think in past eras, a woman who was not married by say 25 or so, had a hard time explaining why. Even more so than a man. So the convent would be a way of not having to answer that when the alternative would have brought-in some societies-brutal condemnation.

why is it though-that we have heard tons of cases of Catholic (ie allegedly celibate) priests who have molested boys-some pre pubescent (ie pedophiliac behavior) or older boys (homosexual molestation) while the cases of say Episcopal priests, Baptist preachers, Rabbis, etc engaging in either homosexual predation or heterosexual rape are few and far between. I never realized-despite the publicity-how many cases there were of priest on boy cases until I was part of a trial team prosecuting a two decade old molestation case

On one hand, the church finds it unnatural to be a homosexual for one's entire life.
On the other, the church finds it completely natural to ask human beings to remain without sex their entire lives.

These people do not understand the world better than any of their followers.

Oh, they weren't trying to understand anything.

I suspect I preach to the choir....

The church finds it completely natural to ask its own leaders to remain without sex for their entire lives. Obviously, that hasn't worked out so well.

My theory is that the requirement of celibacy favors and fosters this behavior. These men are separated from their birth families and forbidden to start families of their own. Their professional and personal ties are within the celibate community which becomes their family. This is conducive to cover-up just as in some police departments that cover up wrongdoing by their members. The repression of sexuality and the shame associated with it means the victims are less likely to come forward and to be believed when they do. There is also the power imbalance inherent in a hierarchical structure that enables higher ranking men to prey on their subordinates.

He said that GAY PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE PRIESTS IF THEY CANT REMAIN CELIBATE. Go ahead and misconstrue it anyway you want just like the OP.

He said that GAY PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE PRIESTS IF THEY CANT REMAIN CELIBATE. Go ahead and misconstrue it anyway you want just like the OP.

What about straight people who can't remain celibate? Is it ok for them to be priests?

Criteria for the Discernment of Vocation for Persons with Homosexual Tendencies

2 of 3 existing disqualifiers for priesthood have absolutely nothing with celibacy.

You're wrong. Don't make it long and drawn out, just accept it and move long.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Well look at the popes words. He said, "If gays cannot be celibate they should not be in the priesthood"
Lmao, I am quoting the Vatican's edict on what disqualifies a person from becoming a priest!

The pope has no problem with gay people, he just has a problem with gay people being, acting, thinking, defending or 'promoting' gayness while being priests. The space where you think the pope only cares about celibacy is non-existent because of the aforementioned disqualifiers.

Seriously, move along, you gonna try to tell me that your news article trumps an official and current Vatican statement?

Get serious, lick your wounds, don't double down.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

The Pope wants gay men to "repent" a condition God afflicted them with, which they have no control over, and for these gay men to take wives and have sex with them. It's all as silly as the Pope's hat. It's not supposed to make sense, it's religion.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…