• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Opression of Turks in Greece and why its no better than past Kurdish policies

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Is Greece any better than Turkey? - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

Read the rest of it here.

It really does just go way over your head, doesn't it? How Greece got into the EU, that is. Clearly the xenophobic elite in the EU have successfully ridden the waves on this issue (not to mention the horrific state of the Greek economy when compared to Turkey, who is set to become an economic power in just over a decade).

The xenophobes have successfully pointed out the flaws in Turkey's past and forever advancing Democracy, but have they heeded enough attention towards Greece? Or are they so blinded by the propagandists of the Greek orthodox church that they forgot to check Greece's own minority problem? If you believe Cyprus was an "invasion", you may want to look at Greece, and the Cyprus issue, with a second glance.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to Cyprus? How is the current mood between the two there?

I go frequently.

The mood is very peaceful. Both countries have a good Democracy and have high living standards despite embargo's on the North. Movement across the border is easy, and communities from both sides cross frequently. It's actually very pleasent, despite past grieviances and obviously the current issue with the fate of the island.

I spent last New Year in Northern Cyprus. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'd never been before and was expecting it to be a little primitive, that seems to be the impression we get, because it's not recognised and not in the EU. Far from it, the place was lovely, well cared for, welcoming, everything reasonably priced and very relaxed. I'll second Kaya's point about free movement between the north and south, except for Turks. I was with a group of friends. We were all Turkish except for me and my best friend who has dual UK-Turkish nationality. He and I were allowed to cross from north to south in Lefkosa, but our Turkish friends were not. I would recommend the place for a holiday though, especially Girne - a really lovely little fishing town and resort with a few. of excellent restaurants and a very laid-back atmosphere, great climate too. We had lunch on the harbourside in Girne on New Year's Day in 25 degree (77F) sunshine. Lovely!

Last edited:

Brilliant! The girne harbour! Was there the other week. What a beautiful place. Have you been there during sun set and at night time?
And yes the mainland Turks are not allowed to pass.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…