• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Objective Morality.

This is objectively wrong because it usurps the goal to survive in peacefully with as little danger as possible. Morality it's most primal purpose is to keep us all alive. the objectivity stems from that.

That's YOUR goal. Why is this an objective goal? You keep shooting yourself in the foot and don't even know you're pulling the trigger.

Fail premises fail.

"1. A thing is good insofar as it is in accordance with its nature (thus a good car is one which works properly, or a good pencil is one which writes well).

2. Free human acts are matters of morality.

3. Therefore an act which is against human nature is morally wrong.

4. It is against man's social nature to intentionally kill others without sufficient cause (since if it were, there would be a contradiction, as if such were right, then by doing this right thing a man would deprive others of their ability to do it to him, which would violate the fundamental equality of humans).

5. The holocaust was intentional killings committed without sufficient cause.

Thus it is proved that the holocaust was immoral."

1. Sounds like an appeal to nature.
2. Eh, that's fine. I'd agree.
3. This is where I'd disagree.
4. Again, sounds like an appeal to nature.
5. Agreed but it doesn't matter.

Sounds like you drew your conclusion prematurely with faulty logic.

You are asserting that morality has to meet certain criteria, criteria that you subjectively determine. That's not objective.
No I'm not. I believe morality stems, innately, from the results of actions. From there right or wrongness of a moral can be determined.

No, society makes those determinations what is acceptable and not acceptable within a particular social context. That's not objective, it's subjective.
I don't agree. Though I am aware that it has happened, and does happen, in many societies, where things that are immoral are deemed moral, but I don't believe the morality of the immoral act was ever not immoral. Especially when these decrees ignore the suffering of many. It's just cruel negligence of an indoctrinated majority that are turning a blind eye to the actual real consequences of a said immoral action.
You have no clue what you're talking about.
I'm confident in my argument for objective morality.

That's YOUR goal. Why is this an objective goal? You keep shooting yourself in the foot and don't even know you're pulling the trigger.

What other goal would there be? Scientifically survival is a primal motivation for all our actions at the most primal level.

No I'm not. I believe morality stems, innately, from the results of actions. From there right or wrongness of a moral can be determined.

Which is an assertion, not a demonstration. How can you determine the rightness or wrongness of an action without applying any of your own personal views, opinions or beliefs to it?

You still haven't demonstrated any of that, just asserted it. There is a difference, you know.

I'm confident in my argument for objective morality.

The insane are confident in their own sanity too, that doesn't mean much.

Well yeah. That's another possibility

You are. They aren't strict hierarchies. They are subject to change at any time. And the belief that one member of a pack is dominant over another at all times is also untrue. In some circumstances, one member will be dominant over another. In other circumstances, another member will be dominant over the one. Even the term "pack leader" does not denote a member that always dominates the other. It merely refers to the member which has preference (ie dominance) when it comes to food and mating.

A wounded lioness may be eaten because she is weak and worthless, and will otherwise serve no purpose for the pack. Etc. Etc.

Or a healthy lion may be killed during play that turns serious.

It happens.

There is no point of life, and even if there is, the life and survival of *human* life is not it.

Your focus on humans, as if they are the reason for life, is self-serving which comes across as being motivated by your own preferences (IOW, subjective)

This is objectively wrong because it usurps the goal to survive in peacefully with as little danger as possible. Morality it's most primal purpose is to keep us all alive. the objectivity stems from that.

I could argue that the existence of humans threatens all the life on this planet. If the survival of life is the point, then maybe it would be better off if humans were not around. No other species of life threatens all the others the way humans do.

What other goal would there be? Scientifically survival is a primal motivation for all our actions at the most primal level.

Right up until you added your own twist: "peacefully with as little danger as possible". Evolution and nature are not peaceful at all and wanting survival doesn't guarantee that you actually get it. You are still totally blinded by your desires.

Actually, it's the survival of our genes that's the primal motivation, and not just for humans. For all forms of life.

Which is an assertion, not a demonstration. How can you determine the rightness or wrongness of an action without applying any of your own personal views, opinions or beliefs to it?
By determining if the action acts against stable society. Then determining if a stable or unstable society is better for survival. Then determining if survival is important.
This is all objective.

You still haven't demonstrated any of that, just asserted it. There is a difference, you know.
Well all throughout history flippant disregard for human rights have never ended well. And even today, with negligence of certain groups persisting we can see that it causes unrest, anger, violence, revolutions, etc. People die when neglect persists unchecked.
The insane are confident in their own sanity too, that doesn't mean much.
I'm insane because I disagree with you on whether morality is objective or no? I think you taking the debate a little too personally. I think it's possible for us both to be confident in our arguments and it's possibly for you to get through this discussion without being a mean b*tch. =]

By determining if the action acts against stable society. Then determining if a stable or unstable society is better for survival. Then determining if survival is important. This is all objective.

But now you're not talking about objectivity, you're talking about a specific goal that YOU have determined, which is entirely subjective. You need to visit a dictionary.

Actually, it's the survival of our genes that's the primal motivation, and not just for humans. For all forms of life.

And, in fact, biological survival not only doesn't require the entirety of a species, it only requires that the best suited for survival actually breed. It says nothing about those individual organisms surviving past the time they've passed on their genes.

Right up until you added your own twist: "peacefully with as little danger as possible". Evolution and nature are not peaceful at all and wanting survival doesn't guarantee that you actually get it. You are still totally blinded by your desires.

Well this "peacefully with as little danger as possible" facilitates are more optimal living environment. It's the rational choice. It's the choice that any creature invested in it's survival would choose.

Well this "peacefully with as little danger as possible" facilitates are more optimal living environment. It's the rational choice. It's the choice that any creature invested in it's survival would choose.

Optimal according to who? You? SUBJECTIVE!

Come on, stop being ridiculous.

Wolf Social Structure - Wolf Facts and Information

Or a healthy lion may be killed during play that turns serious.

It happens.

Yeah it does happen. It happens with humans too, but we still have an order. And sources disagree with you.

Lion social behavior of lions

There is no point of life, and even if there is, the life and survival of *human* life is not it.
I'm not religious. Nor have I claimed there is an abstract point to life. However surviving is a motivation for us all and cultivating and environment, a community, that promotes optimal living conditions is, objectively, a rational choice.

Your focus on humans, as if they are the reason for life, is self-serving which comes across as being motivated by your own preferences (IOW, subjective)
I don't believe so. It is natural for a species to act in the interests of it's own species. Social ones at least. During floods ants will raft to keep each other alive. If it exists in all social animals then there must be an evolutionary reason for our desire to make decisions that best fit us all.

I could argue that the existence of humans threatens all the life on this planet. If the survival of life is the point, then maybe it would be better off if humans were not around. No other species of life threatens all the others the way humans do.
You could. I think it's because our actions towards this world are immoral. And as read my own responses I almost sound religious, but I'm not.Our actions are immoral in the sense that we are destroying the only place we have to live and thus orchestrating our own demise.

Optimal according to who? You? SUBJECTIVE!

Come on, stop being ridiculous.

op·ti·mal
ˈäptəməl/Submit
adjective
best or most favorable; optimum.

This can be determined objectively.

1. Is it not correct?
2. Ok
3. Goes to 1
4. Again, goes to 1
5. Ok

Q.E.D.

A more optimal living environment for whom?

Certainly not for the dodo birds, or any of the other species we've caused to go extinct

But now you're not talking about objectivity, you're talking about a specific goal that YOU have determined, which is entirely subjective. You need to visit a dictionary.

Nothing I have said is based off of an arbitrary opinion of mine. The most basic goal of any living organism is to survive. That's why damn near all creatures on this planet, including humans, have built in involuntary fight or flight reactions to danger. So with that in mind anything that promotes survival of our species as a whole, because we have always been social animals, is moral and anything that facilitates the usurping of society, small or big, is wrong.

We determine this by judging each action within the context in which it is performed.

Killing toddler unprovoked no rational reason is always morally wrong. Simply saying well I think it's not , is a worthless counter argument.

Last edited:
A more optimal living environment for whom?

Certainly not for the dodo birds, or any of the other species we've caused to go extinct

For humans. And I don't understand why you think bringing up those things change my argument. Yes humans are currently acting against our own survival by tampering with the ecosystem. We are also becoming more aware and trying to combat the bad apples in our pack.

1. Is it not correct?
2. Ok
3. Goes to 1
4. Again, goes to 1
5. Ok

Q.E.D.

1. Opinion (subjective)
2. Okay
3. No it doesn't. Why is it morally wrong? Again, sounds like an opinion (subjective)
4. Lots of fallacious premises here, as well.
5. I spoke too soon. "Without sufficient cause" seems rather subjective. Sure, I'd agree with that (as would many others) but the Nazis committing those acts of violence might not. This, again, makes it subjective.

Q.E.D., you've simply showed more subjective morality.

1. Just claiming something is an opinion doesn't suffice as a refutation.
3. and 4. They both follow from 1
5. That makes your argument subjective. My argument on the other hand, is not dependent on anyone's feelings.

Wolf Social Structure - Wolf Facts and Information

Yeah it does happen. It happens with humans too, but we still have an order. And sources disagree with you.

Lion social behavior of lions

Your "sources" are blogs that do not link to any credible science sources.

Dominance and Dog Training
http://www.4pawsu.com/alphawolf.pdf

note the links and citations to scientists and scientific paper, and compare that to the lack of those in the links you posted.

I'm not religious. Nor have I claimed there is an abstract point to life. However surviving is a motivation for us all and cultivating and environment, a community, that promotes optimal living conditions is, objectively, a rational choice.

We aren't discussing if wanting to live and survive is rational. We're talking about whether morality is objective and whether wanting to live and survive is objectively good.

Yes, it is natural to act in one's own interests and that is the result of evolution. However, that does not address the question of whether it is objectively good for humans to live and survive.

And BTW, the reason why evolution has bred the desire to live into us is for one reason, and one reason alone - to increase the frequency of our genes. That is the sole motivating force behind evolution, and there's nothing special about human DNA from the point of view of evolution. Therefore, there is nothing inherently or objectively good from the point of view of evolution.

If our actions are immoral, and are destroying planet (and orchestrating the demise of all life, not just our own) then what is objectively good about anything that allows us to survive (and continue to destroy the planet)?

Theres no objective morality, basic logic, history and facts make it that way.
It factually doesn't exist and is subjective by nature, theres actually nothing out there that to even suggest theres objective morality.

1. Just claiming something is an opinion doesn't suffice as a refutation.
3. and 4. They both follow from 1
5. That makes your argument subjective. My argument on the other hand, is not dependent on anyone's feelings.

1. When you're claiming objectivity, it refutes that claim and shows it to be subjective.
3. Why is it wrong, Paleo?
4. Fallacies. We'll address them later when we move past 1.
5. Your argument is based on feelings. "Without sufficient cause" is your feeling. Again, subjective.

Yes, for humans....and for nothing else.

And maybe, humans are not good for humans, or for any other form of life. While you may claim that we're becoming more aware and combating the "bad apples", there is a wealth of evidence to the contrary.

Basically, you are "begging the question". You claim that you can prove that there is such a thing as an "objective good" by claiming that the survival of humans is an "objective good".

Begging the question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That human life is an objective good is just as much an "unknown" as the existence of objective good is.

When you boil it down, your argument is "Objective good must exist because the survival of humans is an objective good"

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…