• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Now the big question is

Maybe Trump needs to sweeten the deal by adding a plane full of money and 5 of their favorite radicals from Gitmo.

When did American politics get to be hardball? Not yesterday.
Trump plays hardball, though. Doesn't he. Trump will shut down the whole damn federal government to coerce Congress to fund his project against their will. Think on that for a moment. A President elected by a minority shuts down the federal government to try to force Congress to fund a project they don't want to fund. Does that sound like how the US federal government was meant to work?

It'll build a wall around an island off the left coast of Canada.

Might. Unnecessary though. All we have to do is stop a ferry from docking in Blubber Bay and we've cut off the rest of the world.

FOR the wall? How much? What were the demands associated with the "offer"?

Are you talking about a wall like the border wall in San Antonio President Stable Genius touted? :monkey

Reopen the government and then I fully support negotiations.

Us democrats actually wonder why the republican party doesn't hold him to his word. Mexico will pay for the wall, not the american taxpayer. I presume it's easier to say we hate trump and it's the democrats fault instead of holding the man you put into office to his word.

The majority of Americans do not want their hard-earned tax dollars spent on border safety measures that are medieval, like Trump's wall.

Did anyone listen to him today? It is no longer a wall, it is a "see-through steel barrier." Adversity continues to make him change his tune. We already have fences along strategic sections of the border. Some of it is in need of repair and that's already been funded and is being carried out. What we need are more patrol agents, more processing facilities, more immigration judges (which Trump did mention as part of his deal), plus several dozen camera drones and the personnel to operate them.

In 2013, Schumer sponsored this bill in the Senate:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/744

It passed in the Senate, but House Republicans killed it. The GOP made this bed. Trump owns this shutdown. I hope the Democrats continue to deny Trump this stupid, ineffectual wall.

Trump promised "a great, big, beautiful wall" and he promised that Mexico would pay for it. He has his fearful base so stirred up that they literally scream "Mexico!" at his ego-feeding rallies. I don't want one red cent of my tax dollars spent on it.

They don't care. They will never criticize Trump.

Are you talking about a wall like the border wall in San Antonio President Stable Genius touted? :monkey
No, walls in the 57 states The-Smartest-Man-Ever-Elected-President spoke of.

That may be the one I'm thinking about. Thanks for digging into it.

Think about it. If that deal went through like it should have we would have skipped that shut down along with this one and all the wall drama this past year would have been gone.

No, walls in the 57 states The-Smartest-Man-Ever-Elected-President spoke of.

Have you really not seen how that bull**** was debunked or do you just not care about the truth?

Now that President Trump has laid an offer on the table, what are the democrats going to offer? It cant be a one way street. Democrats need to offer the money for the wall.

He didn't lay any offers on the table, he went on TV and told them what he could offer. That's not negotiation. When you negotiate with people, you meet with them, face to face. Trump was either too chicken **** to do so, or he just wanted to be on TV again. Or both.

The shutdown is probably down the list of impeachable offenses.

Well, if they aren't really against it then they must be against something and to **** over the American people because they dislike Trump is the epitome of pettiness. Pelosi has showed herself and her party to be truly horrible people who are interested in their party first and the nation only to the extent that it supports her party.

Trump, as you know, can't shut the government down unilaterally. The shutdown is due to partisan intransigence rooted squarely in dislike for a person rather than for a policy.

If this doesn't scream "POLITICAL CLASS AT THE EXPENSE OF THE PEOPLE" then nothing does. This kind of petty behavior is EXACTLY how Trump got into office.

Considering all the idiotic things the Mango Mussolini has said, "57 states" seems rather pedestrian, doesn't it?
"57 states" wasn't the dumbest thing the-smartest . . . ever said either.

I'll take pure partisan horse**** for $300 Alex.

Reopen the government and then I fully support negotiations.

The longer the federal government stays closed the more inclined Americans will be to find ways around needing them. This shutdown is precisely what the nation needs to ween themselves from the federal teat.

Have you really not seen how that bull**** was debunked or do you just not care about the truth?
You mean about him being "the smartest man . . ."? He debunked that shortly after taking office. And continues doing it until this day.

Think about it. If that deal went through like it should have we would have skipped that shut down along with this one and all the wall drama this past year would have been gone.
Didn't Trump come back with a counter offer including DACA which the dems then refused?

Didn't Trump come back with a counter offer including DACA which the dems then refused?

That I don't know. I do know that shortly after Shumer withdrew the offer. I don't remember what happened after that.

The longer the federal government stays closed the more inclined Americans will be to find ways around needing them. This shutdown is precisely what the nation needs to ween themselves from the federal teat.

You probably even believe that pablum the CEC has fed you. I mean we don't need the Coast Guard, air traffic controllers, federal prison guards, ATF, FBI, etc. Let's get rid of them all, what can possibly go wrong?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…