• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Korea's Master Plan to Crush South Korea in Battle

i seriously doubt that China is going to allow a nuclear war in its backyard.

The Military of the DPRK is simply not adequate to deal with the sophisticated nature of American, RoK and Japanese forces (Should the Japanese choose to get involved directly).

As long as DPRK special forces and cruise missiles couldn't disrupt RoK airfields quickly enough the RoK would achieve Air Superiority within minutes not that North Korea even having Air Superiority for a few days would mean much given the crap they're still working with (that might not even fly).

Almost every single scenario you can run has the North Koreans losing, it's the collateral damage in the meantime that's the most concerning.

The first issue is the RoK being overwhelmed at the border, as the article quite rightly says the DPRK would likely employ old style Soviet Tactics, massive artillery barrages followed by a mass Infrantry/mechanized push which, if timed right could produce some initial gains, but isn't likely to last long after American and RoK airpower inserts its clear dominance. I would also note that it's horrifyingly theorized the North Koreans would also force political prisoners to run at the border en masse to help clear minefields.

On top of that there is also worries that two to three thousand artillery batteries (some sources say 13,000 but this may be way overstated) are aimed at Seoul which could produce as many as 50, 000 casulties on day one.

There is of course the big issue of Nuclear and Chemical Weapons usage... as of yet it would not appear the DPRK has the capability to mount a nuclear warhead.

Ultimately the greatest hope for the Korean Peninsula and the Freedom of the North Korean people is for the regime to collapse... but despite alot of rosy stuff I've been reading about that lately, I don't see that as being any time soon given the nature of the Regime, the same regime that survived the famine of the 1990's in tact.

King Jong Uns grasp on power is not as strong as his father, or Grandfather because many North Koreans reportedly have a big issue with his age as Korean Culture reveres elders and experience but he has wasted no time on his own purges to ensure his power, most notably his own Uncle and Mentor but what I've just mentioned leads to a dangerous situation.

If Kim Jong Un, personally, thought the only way out for him was war or a massive provocation which even he could not control the consequences of, to secure his own power at the potential cost of millions, is he crazy enough to take that chance?

That is the fundamental question.

The Military of the DPRK is simply not adequate to deal with the sophisticated nature of American, RoK and Japanese forces (Should the Japanese choose to get involved directly).

As long as DPRK special forces and cruise missiles couldn't disrupt RoK airfields quickly enough the RoK would achieve Air Superiority within minutes not that North Korea even having Air Superiority for a few days would mean much given the crap they're still working with (that might not even fly).

Almost every single scenario you can run has the North Koreans losing, it's the collateral damage in the meantime that's the most concerning.

The first issue is the RoK being overwhelmed at the border, as the article quite rightly says the DPRK would likely employ old style Soviet Tactics, massive artillery barrages followed by a mass Infrantry/mechanized push which, if timed right could produce some initial gains, but isn't likely to last long after American and RoK airpower inserts its clear dominance. I would also note that it's horrifyingly theorized the North Koreans would also force political prisoners to run at the border en masse to help clear minefields.

On top of that there is also worries that two to three thousand artillery batteries (some sources say 13,000 but this may be way overstated) are aimed at Seoul which could produce as many as 50, 000 casulties on day one.

There is of course the big issue of Nuclear and Chemical Weapons usage... as of yet it would not appear the DPRK has the capability to mount a nuclear warhead.

Ultimately the greatest hope for the Korean Peninsula and the Freedom of the North Korean people is for the regime to collapse... but despite alot of rosy stuff I've been reading about that lately, I don't see that as being any time soon given the nature of the Regime, the same regime that survived the famine of the 1990's in tact.

King Jong Uns grasp on power is not as strong as his father, or Grandfather because many North Koreans reportedly have a big issue with his age as Korean Culture reveres elders and experience but he has wasted no time on his own purges to ensure his power, most notably his own Uncle and Mentor but what I've just mentioned leads to a dangerous situation.

If Kim Jong Un, personally, thought the only way out for him was war or a massive provocation which even he could not control the consequences of, to secure his own power at the potential cost of millions, is he crazy enough to take that chance?

That is the fundamental question.
Excellent post.

The only way I envision NK attacking/invading... and the article touched on this... is if the regime is desperate and feels it has nothing to lose. *IF* the regime begins to fail internally, this could possibly happen. A last-ditch effort to keep and/or regain something.

Excellent post.

The only way I envision NK attacking/invading... and the article touched on this... is if the regime is desperate and feels it has nothing to lose. *IF* the regime begins to fail internally, this could possibly happen. A last-ditch effort to keep and/or regain something.

The_Mouse_That_Roared_first_edition.jpg

That is also in real life basically what Argentina tried in 1982. Start a war in the hopes that internal patriotism would prop up the failing government.

However, when they lost that war that ultimately brought it down even faster.

i seriously doubt that China is going to allow a nuclear war in its backyard.

Not only that. North Korea's nukes are popcorn farts compared to what would soon be blasted at them from US nuclear submarines if they if they fired off even one nuke. Just one warhead from a sub would take care of them.

Not only that. North Korea's nukes are popcorn farts compared to what would soon be blasted at them from US nuclear submarines if they if they fired off even one nuke. Just one warhead from a sub would take care of them.

one would think that China, which has a desire to be the world's premier superpower, would realize how bad NK is for business and do something to reign them in. perhaps China has already done so, and that's why NK mostly just makes threats. either way, i wouldn't want to be saddled with a neighbor like that.

one would think that China, which has a desire to be the world's premier superpower, would realize how bad NK is for business and do something to reign them in. perhaps China has already done so, and that's why NK mostly just makes threats. either way, i wouldn't want to be saddled with a neighbor like that.

I dunno -- does China actually want to be top dog? I haven't seen much indication of that.

I do think that China exerts pretty strong influence over the DPRK. The Norks aren't going to take belligerent action against anyone without Chinese backing.

There's two fundamental factors that the Chinese are considering more than pruning North Korea.

1) Having a US ally on its border at the conclusion of the war.

2) The resulting refugee crisis in the immediate aftermath of hostilities would be very costly and overwhelming for the Chinese.

Largely though, Chinas relationship with RoK is much better than with DPRK because simply put, there's more money in it.

For the Chinese, North Korea is simply a buffer against US interests in the region, a very uncomfortable and annoying one, but a buffer none the less.

I think that most of the world realizes that the only real threat that North Korea poses is nukes. They have been caught fudging photos and videos of exercises showing off their military might. In some cases they use cardboard or wooden facades made to look like big guns or artillery. They would be much more of a threat if they had the oil that other despotic nations like Iran have. They just to not have the purchasing power to buy their way into modern military technology.

I dunno -- does China actually want to be top dog? I haven't seen much indication of that.

I do think that China exerts pretty strong influence over the DPRK. The Norks aren't going to take belligerent action against anyone without Chinese backing.

my opinion is that China does want to be top dog, and that a war in their backyard will not help them to attain that goal.

There's two fundamental factors that the Chinese are considering more than pruning North Korea.

1) Having a US ally on its border at the conclusion of the war.

2) The resulting refugee crisis in the immediate aftermath of hostilities would be very costly and overwhelming for the Chinese.

Largely though, Chinas relationship with RoK is much better than with DPRK because simply put, there's more money in it.

For the Chinese, North Korea is simply a buffer against US interests in the region, a very uncomfortable and annoying one, but a buffer none the less.

my guess is that China will tolerate NK as long as it doesn't get in the way of their economic goals, or until it causes some humanitarian crisis that China is expected to solve.

I think that a totalitarian NK actually serves a purpose for China. NK is something of a distraction in the region.

I think that most of the world realizes that the only real threat that North Korea poses is nukes. They have been caught fudging photos and videos of exercises showing off their military might. In some cases they use cardboard or wooden facades made to look like big guns or artillery. They would be much more of a threat if they had the oil that other despotic nations like Iran have. They just to not have the purchasing power to buy their way into modern military technology.

Apparently they are the #1 country trying to forge our currency, I read one time.

There is virtually no way the North would attack the South. They know they would be obliterated by total South Korean/American air supremacy. And surely Japan and NATO/UN would help as well.
Yes, they have lots of artillery. So what? After a week or so, air strikes would wipe most of them out.
They might breakthrough a few miles at first, but the South alone has a gigantic military technological edge that could definitely stop the North's numerical edge...and surely the North's generals know this.

The Korean situation is nothing like it was in 1950. Back then, the North was militarily superior to the South and had direct support from China and indirect support from the USSR. Today, they have none of this.

Yes, they have nukes...but they would never use them because they know it would mean they would be devastated by an American nuclear counter attack...probably wiping Pyongyang off of the map.

There is virtually no chance of an NK attack against the south, IMO. To say otherwise is either ignorance or Neocon drumbeating.

There is virtually no chance of an NK attack against the south, IMO. To say otherwise is either ignorance or Neocon drumbeating.

There is a difference I would say makes that wrong in phrasing.

The claim that there is "virtually no chance of an NK attack" is patently false. And sorry, even saying such shows a degree of ignorance or ignoring facts.

Specifically there have been at leasdt 3 attacks on Yeonpyeong in the last 15 years. The latest a 2 hour long artillery attack that killed 10 and wounded over 30 others. North Korea has been "attacking" South Korea for decades.

And I see this pattern as continuing. However, this does not mean that I think an invasion is going to happen any time soon.

And how anybody can say something as silly as "Neocon drumbeating" is in complete denial.

Back
Top Bottom