• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Morality and Atheism

Tucker is correct that the potential for the color green or even sight are within physical reality but only exists in those terms as they interact with creatures who have the ability to perceive.

We project a mental image of reality within our minds that transfigures its very nature thru our interaction. Physical reality without it's interpreter does not exist in the same way. It's a blob of energy with no awareness, description, purpose, meaning or definition. And though the universe preexisted creatures the potential for human life already existed within nature.

There is something intrinsic about the wavelengths that react with our eyes and brain that make it green ... and Objectively the difference between the wavelength that creates green in your eyes is objectively different that the wavelength that creates yellow in your eyes.

You learned that you're perceptions were flawed because you were convinced that you were color blind, but you had no reason to doubt your perceptions before that ... you had a defeater.

If you assumed every perception was false, you'd not be able to live life, you MUST take them at face values UNLESS you have a defeater.

How would you be able to discover that the whole universe was created 5 seconds ago with the appearance of age ... it would be literally impossible, yet you believe that it wasn't, it's a properly basic belief.

You can measure light ... and that measurment uses your perceptions .... infared light wasn't discovered rationally, it was discovered empirically, i.e. using perceptions.

Much like the infrared light example, simply because you are unable to perceive or understand that it is present does not mean it isn't present.

Except it is measurable ...

I know you're not saying that, but it IS, and you're argument that it isn't fails, you cannot show that it's fundementally any different.

Yeah ... and thus that belief (that hapiness=good) is arbitrary and isn't based on anything.

But adding to happiness being good is arbitrary, and there is nothing inherent in it that makes it good, you have to just make that leap, arbitrarily, just like saying "more sugar means more delicious."

Cosmic time is a hypothetical construct. It doesn't exist anywhere. It's rather like sea level. Useful in a practical sense for calculation purposes, but not something which is "real" and observable.

Whether or not it is real and observable is something philosophers and scientists would disagree with, hell whether or not time exists is something people disagree on.

But it being observable has no bearing on whether or not it's objective.

... Yes there is ... no matter what measuring you use, be it the metric system or farenheight, hotter and colder are objective, saying more/less thermal energy is just using different words for hotter/colder, thats nonsense, that's what hotter and colder MEANS. One can say that antartica is colder than the sahara whether or not anyone is there to feel it.

Either way in the end you agree with me, the therman energy IS OBJECTIVE, thus saying "I am hot" is based on something that is objective, and can be measured and determined exactly how "hot" something is, based on that measurement.

Because all of the evidence which does exists has shown us that our perceptions of reality are inaccurate depictions of reality.

Evidence collected from our perceptions of reality ....

You absolutely do, unless you never say "this is wrong," or "one should do this," if you hold your moral opinion with more weight than you hold your ice cream preferance you're not being logically consistant.

Well ... yeah they are ... if the rules you're basing them on are arbitrary, the aplication is ultimately just arbitrary, becasue the rules are.

That sentance PERFECTLY shows the arbitrariness of morality and how it is fundementally NO different from personal prefernaces such as liking ice cream.

The moral code here is A ... C is just an application of A ... but you havn't used reason to establish A, you just arbitrarily assumed it, just like you would assume "I believe things with lots of sugar are delicious, thus ice cream is delicious."

You're proving my argument.

The belief is arbitrary, the moral code which develops from that belief, however, is not. It's the exact opposite of arbitrary.

THe belief IS the moral code ...

How could "I believe killing is wrong" be based on any type of reasoning that cannot be used for "I believe vanilla ice cream is good," hell the ONLY difference in those statements are the object.

Translation:

"I believe there is no basis for objective morality, therefore there is no basis for objective morality. So let's go from there...." :2razz:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…