• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

Isn't it flawed to say that a substance which is intentionally made to be an irritant causes reactions? That's the whole point of OC... If it didn't have any effects, you might as well use a squirt gun on people. :2razz:

Link that it works by causing an allergic reaction? It works because it's a natural skin irritant. A fatal allergic reaction can include full out anaphylactic shock.

@ Oscar -- I supported the coppers earlier in this thread and happened to think about the allergic reaction possibility. To say the only two choices were nothing and pepper spray is a little extreme, no?

Last edited:

Your article only mentioned 1 in 100 people having some sort of "reaction." I'd call swollen eyes, closed throat and burning skin a "reaction" wouldn't you? There are no documented cases I know of where OC spray alone caused a fatality in an otherwise healthy human being. Can you prove otherwise?

Maggie, I'll lay out the same scenario for you that I did for apdst ealier in the thread:

Last edited:

Some people do have allergic reactions to pepper spray and it has been known to actually cause death from choking. For most people it just sucks really bad.

*Edit:

To clarify, I am not anti-pepper spray or anti-taser, but both have the risk of causing death. However, if used properly, they should really only be used when absolutely necessary anyway.

Last edited:

here:

http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/p/Pepper_Spray_New_Questions.pdf

Intersting read, but you can't even get beyond the first page without the red flags raising. 16,000 uses of OC spray and only 26 deaths? First of all that's a far from terrible track record even if every single one of those 26 were caused by the OC alone, but the article goes on to say that it can't prove ANY of them were.

...drugs and alcohol were involved in 24 of the 26 cases

Below is the strongest statement that they can come up with and even that isn't very conclusive

Here's a pretty fair take on it, but still no proof of deaths caused solely by the OC on totally healthy individuals.

Pepper spray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
This situation makes a great case for the need to thin the herd from time to time.

Procreation, much like voting or operating heavy machinery, should require a college degree and a license.

This situation makes a great case for the need to thin the herd from time to time.

Procreation, much like voting or operating heavy machinery, should require a college degree and a license.

Better cops and better kids... bi-winning.

The real issue is that usually the uneducated are the ones breeding the most.

true....but do yuou really expect an ME to rule that pepper spray was the cause of the death? reminds me of the case in indiana where the 15 yr old was searched, handcuffed (behind his back) and somehow was able to shoot himself in the head while sitting in the back of a police car. ruled a suicide.

my kid wouldn't be breaking trim off the damn wall and trying to attack people with it. blame the frakin parents (or more likely parent) not the cops.

Ultimately, I blame the faculty.

I'd expect some random organization who violently opposes the use of pepper spray to be able to find the one needle in the haystack, but even the ACLU can't confirm that the exposure to pepper spray was the cause of death in any of the listed cases. I do give the report extra points for being open and honest about that fact though. Again, all-in-all an interesting read.

so what other choice would you suggest? whatever it is, there will be some crybaby handwringer who will say the cops should have done something different. and there's the kicker. they will complain, no matter what action the cops take.

Anyone but the child and parent, right? It's gotta be the cops, or the teacher, or daytime television!

The parent wasn't on the scene and the child isn't expected to know better. Are 8 y/o supposed to act like adults, now?

The parent wasn't on the scene and the child isn't expected to know better. Are 8 y/o supposed to act like adults, now?

This was the THIRD time the police had to come out to the school for this child. Do you really believe the parent was unaware? My two year old knows that it's not acceptable to throw things or hit people...and you think an 8 year old doesn't?

Chalking this up to anything but a spoiled brat without a strong parental figure is just pants-on-head ridiculous.

Ultimately, I blame the faculty.

you blame the faculty because the kid is an undisciplined POS? like I told a mother my first year of teaching when she wanted me to teach her brat to behave, "I cannot do in a semester, one hour a day, what you have failed to do in 14 years"

The faculty is too inept to handle a child throwing a **** fit? Really?

more likely they were afraid mommy would sue them and the school board if they tried to restrain her little darling.

and the point is, the kid should never have been throwing a **** fit in the first place, IF...mommy had been doing her job.

They shouldn't have had to show up the first two times.

more likely they were afraid mommy would sue them and the school board if they tried to restrain her little darling.

and the point is, the kid should never have been throwing a **** fit in the first place, IF...mommy had been doing her job.

That's why my kids's teachers have my permission to light their asses up, if they step out of line. They don't have permission to call the cops in to spray chemicals in their eyes.

They shouldn't have had to show up the first two times.

So, now you think the police should not have to answer a dispatch call? This line of logic is border-line asinine.

The school should have to do what a parent is not willing to do?

I pay a teacher's salary to teach my kid reading, writing and arithmetic. I DON'T pay a teachers salary so they can instill their values of right and wrong in my child. That's my job as a parent.

Last edited:
That's why my kids's teachers have my permission to light their asses up, if they step out of line. They don't have permission to call the cops in to spray chemicals in their eyes.

and that's why your kids know how to behave, you give a ****. obviously this woman doesn't or her kid wouldn't be a little turd.

Ok, now I'll say it... you're a lousy parent if you think that an 8 yr old 'isn't supposed to know better' than to act like this kid did.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…