• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

That, is truly frightening.

I expect teachers to have some modicum of intelligence.

Nice, personal attacks without addressing any of the issues raised. Is that what you consider.....intelligence?

I didn't say that. I did say both tobacco and marijuana should be illegal due to the fact they cause lung disease.

What about alcohol? That causes liver cancer.

What about fatty foods? They cause heart disease.

What about tanning beds? Those cause skin cancer.

When I was a child it was alcohol that was readily available. All we had to do was go down to the local 7/11 and ask adults to buy it for us. Most turned use down, some would take our money and buy us the alcohol. Marijuana was much harder to get. It would seem our childhoods were somewhat different.

In regards to your quip about my favoring putting drugs into the hands of children, I'll not bother addressing that.

What about alcohol? That causes liver cancer.

What about fatty foods? They cause heart disease.

What about tanning beds? Those cause skin cancer.

I thought this thread was about the legalization of marijuana. If you want one about alcohol, fatty foods, or tanning beds.....be my guest. Start a thread. I'll debate the merits of that too. :mrgreen:

I thought this thread was about the legalization of marijuana. If you want one about alcohol, fatty foods, or tanning beds.....be my guest. Start a thread. I'll debate the merits of that too. :mrgreen:

Okay fine, one more time what are the benefits of keeping marijuana illegal vs. making it legal?

I believe you to be wrong. Increased availability and a lower price pretty much guarantee greater use.

source

Okay fine, one more time what are the benefits of keeping marijuana illegal vs. making it legal?

Usage will increase of course. This increases the number of individuals who will experience lung damage which will increase the healthcare costs for all of us.

source

Times change. Perhaps you should adapt.

In regards to your quip about my favoring putting drugs into the hands of children, I'll not bother addressing that.

Well, it's true. Prohibition creates an unregulated black market for drugs. Consequently, it empowers drug dealers who have no qualms about selling drugs to children. That's your fault.

I suggest marinol.

I thought this thread was about the legalization of marijuana.

I'm aware. You're against it and I'm for it, which is why I'm trying to undermine your credibility by exposing your inconsistency.

Surely, if you favor criminalizing marijuana on the basis that it causes lung disease you would also favor criminalizing fatty foods, since they cause heart disease. Unless, of course, your sole concern is people's lungs, in which case I would simply write you off as being a strange individual as opposed to an inconsistent one...

If you want one about alcohol, fatty foods, or tanning beds.....be my guest. Start a thread. I'll debate the merits of that too. :mrgreen:

The question cuts right to the heart of your credibility, which means it is relevant to our debate concerning the legalization of marijuana. I understand if you're afraid to answer the questions, since the outcome would most likely be unfavorable to your position, but I'm less than sympathetic.

Marijuana Policy Project just uploaded a news report for the hearing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkYeq8Aqnc"]YouTube - MPP's Aaron Smith Promotes AB390 on KTVU 10/28/2009[/ame]

Times change. Perhaps you should adapt.

I have. I no longer hang out in front of 7/11's asking people to buy alcohol for me.

Well, it's true. Prohibition creates an unregulated black market for drugs. Consequently, it empowers drug dealers who have no qualms about selling drugs to children. That's your fault.

Well, drug dealers have no qualms about selling marijuana to children and no, that's not my fault. The people buying alcohol for my friends and myself weren't suppose to buy alcohol for us either. But hey, it was easy to get. which brings me to my next point....the most prevalent drug being used by children of school age isn't marijuana, it's alcohol. Hardly surprising since it's both more readily accessable and cheaper than marijuana. These are just two more reasons you should oppose marijuana legalization too.

source

Last edited:

I can run off the effects of a big mac. If I smoke enough marijuana.....I can no longer run.

I'm aware of that.

I can run off the effects of a big mac. If I smoke enough marijuana.....I can no longer run.

Okay, so Big Macs stay legal but with mandated running proceeding consumption?

What about alcohol? Does that stay legal, too? Not sure how someone can run off the effects of a bottle of tequila...:lol:

Tanning beds? Legal? I wonder how a person reverses an hour of exposure to UV radiation? More running perhaps?

{sigh} As I indicated earlier I'm more than willing to debate any topic you want. I suggest you start a thread and we can debate these topics individually. :coffeepap

No, just a teacher.

Okay, then why would you attempt to restrict a physician's options in treating their patient when you readily admit you have no formal medical training?

Okay, then why would you attempt to restrict a physician's options in treating their patient when you readily admit you have no formal medical training?

Is this a serious post? no, really. :laughat:

{sigh} As I indicated earlier I'm more than willing to debate any topic you want. I suggest you start a thread and we can debate these topics individually. :coffeepap

It's entirely relevant since a person's credibility is a valid point of contention in any debate. Sorry if you don't like having holes poked in your argument.

It's entirely relevant since a person's credibility is a valid point of contention in any debate. Sorry if you don't like having holes poked in your argument.

Get back to me when you have one.

Is this a serious post? no, really. :laughat:

No, I made it in jest....

Of course it's a serious post. Many physicians - and patients - prefer to use marijuana instead of marinol for a number of reasons you are probably unfamiliar with.

But wait! You're a teacher, which means you must be more qualified to make that determination than a medical doctor who spent a decade of their life learning how to treat illnesses. How silly of me!

On this we agree.

Get back to me when you have one.

1. Federal drug prohibition is unconstitutional since no such authority is enumerated within the US Constitution.

2. Drug prohibition creates an unregulated black market that provides a massive profit incentive for criminal organizations such as street gangs and drug cartels.

3. Drug prohibition disproportionately negatively affects minorities and contributes heavily to their high incarceration rates.

4. Drug prohibition has a negligible affect on drug use and abuse.

5. Drug prohibition costs billions of dollars in taxes and lost revenue.

6. Drug prohibition misallocates resources that would better serve communities in the pursuit of violent offenders like murderers and rapists.

7. Drug prohibition stigmatizes drug users which limits their ability to seek help.

8. Drug prohibition drives up the cost of drugs which increases the likelihood that a user will resort to crime in order to satisfy their addiction.

9. Drug prohibition was the consequence of institutionalized racism.

10. Drug prohibition allows minors unfettered access to drugs.

That's all I can think of right now...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…