• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is outsourcing jobs overseas patriotic?

Is outsourcing jobs overseas patriotic?

• Total voters
Nossir. I wouldn't go so far as to call it treason.... but it damn sure isn't patriotic.

I disagree. In the long run it can be patriotic. When our government many corporations out of existence, it's a matter of self preservation. We have the highest and most punitive corporate tax in the developed world.

I disagree. In the long run it can be patriotic. When our government many corporations out of existence, it's a matter of self preservation. We have the highest and most punitive corporate tax in the developed world.

The outsourcing of jobs overseas has been primarily about exploiting cheap overseas labor, not taxes.

News flash!

IF you are looking for a cause for the 2008 crisis, look at derivatives, not consumer credit.

That (bolded above) assertion requires documentation - perhaps a link would be in order. The nonsense about the oil price shock did not affect US autos any more than foreign autos. If you care to look, you will find that US autos tended to be high profit, low gas milage monsters which was a poor marketing decision - also you will find that the US auto industry had "no lay off" union contracts and ridiculous "lifetime" benefit packages costing billions simply to pay prior workers and their dependents to do nothing.

UAW Workers Actually Cost the Big Three Automakers $70 an Hour

Wrong again!

The FED did not make up 'cheap credit'.

Homeowners borrowed too much on then homes, then borrowed more as the housing values increased.

They became upside down in their loans due to stupidity - when the houses became overpriced, the market corrected prices downward, and left them over-extended in their loans.

The lenders exactly knew the risks of the extended credit of homeowners, but continued to loan more money in spite of insufficient credit worthiness of borrowers, and then bet against the feasibility of their own loan, and got caught.

These lenders knew exactly what they were doing, but got caught in the housing market price drop.

Get your facts straight.

Boom! And the OP's logic is once again proven to be drastically wrong.

Boom! And the OP's logic is once again proven to be drastically wrong.

Yep, but logic is tossed out the window when union benefits are being demanded. Even today GM continues to award unions even more than they deserve, after all, they can just get the taxpayer's to make it all better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/business/gm-reports-2-8-billion-profit-in-2014.html

wrong again!

The fed did not make up 'cheap credit'.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

History Will Show That Alan Greenspan Played a Key Role in Creating the U.S. Housing Bubble

I don't recall the numbers, but the Japanese US auto makers had $3,000~4,000 per car advantage due to the union pension payouts several years ago.

There used to be huge deficits for US makers due to slower output and much longer die change times.

In spite of the unions, the US output has become more efficient over the last 5 years.

The 2008 crash even woke some of the morons up.

yep and it continues to grow as those automakers offer generous 401k plans instead of pensions.
it also helps that foreign plants are more efficient with their people.

the guy that puts the screws in can put the bolts on as well. if something is wrong and someone knows how to fix it they fix it.
they don't have to wait an hour for the guy that changes the fuses to show up to do it they just change the fuse or belt or whatever.

Right, right, right!

Nice try, but you lost again.

I was unable to read the link itself, as there were blocking popups regarding CIA secrets and other paranoid TEOTWAWKI claims.

Try this Wall Street Journal link, which you may understand, which shows what I said is true.

Please do not discount such a trusted source, as there is no CIA / Alien / or Conspiracy Theory mumbo-jumbo on their page.

Thomas, Hennessey and Holtz-Eakin: What Caused the Financial Crisis? - WSJ

It can only be answered with a question:

How much more are you willing to pay for your gadgets to have them made in the US?

You can't have cheap **** and a higher minimum wage, income 'equality" etc.

Of course you can.

If I make $10/hr today, and tomorrow we have a minimum wage increase which pushes my wage to $11/hr, I could care less if that min wage increase caused a few percent inflation because I can still purchase more than I could before.

And since I can now purchase more than I could before, demand increases, businesses expand and become more profitable, more people get jobs, and as a nation we produce more and thus we all become more wealthy.

I don't really see this evil darkside to that.

You become an isolationist and you no longer have access to cheap goods. You mentioned inflation, let me tell you it would skyrocket. Go to any store and most of what you find is made in china or elsewhere. You take that all away and prices would skyrocket, try and find a shirt made in the US or shoes, etc. Try and find an outdoor patio set made in the US. Toys etc etc etc. you cut off imports and your standard of living would crash.

Particularly depending on the level one thinks they need to be confronted. I agree with Goshin, not treason, not patriotic.

As long as no U.S. laws are broken, who cares?

Laws should reward corporations for creating American jobs. And punish corporations for outsourcing them.

Nossir. I wouldn't go so far as to call it treason.... but it damn sure isn't patriotic.

Company X has to outsource some work/materials or go under thereby losing what jobs Company X offeres in the US.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Outsource and save the company, or not outsource and fail.

Tis Patriotic to fail. Got it.

How would a law award?

Well, I said reward, but I'll answer anyway. You can incentivize creating domestic jobs or outsourcing, depending on how laws are structured.

Well, I said reward, but I'll answer anyway. You can incentivize creating domestic jobs or outsourcing, depending on how laws are structured.

And where does the money come from to be substantial enough to motivate large multi-national corporations?

Is doing something that's harmful for the US economy unpatriotic?

Is creating a tax structure that drives companies out of the country unpatriotic. It sure is, and they should be hung for treason, don't you agree?

China's economy is being hurt by outsourcing to Vietnam. Outsourcing isn't connected to patriotism, it is however connected to counter productive domestic economic policy. American industries would be pleased to reinvest in America if in a global economy they were able to repatriate their money without being punished by the government for it. Make no mistake, over regulation, labor unions and lack of protection from dumping have moved entire industries overseas. We are our own worst enemy.

I wouldn't call it unpatriotic. Merely capitalistic. It just is what it is. Corporate greed. As for the argument that domestic mismanagement is responsible, then I'd agree, but not on the basis of taxation. Only that our domestic workforces aren't likely to include 5-year-olds with no legal rights, working 16 hour shifts for a dime a day in squalid and unsafe conditions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…