• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

This explains much, about our differences that is. Off hand, I can't think of any television broadcaster I trust less than Laurence O'Donnell.

Check page 51 in the following IRS publication then.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

501(c)(4) - Civic
Leagues and Social
Welfare Organizations

Political activity. Promoting social welfare does not include direct or indirect participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public of- fice. However, if you submit proof that your or- ganization is organized exclusively to promote social welfare, it can obtain exemption even if it participates legally in some political activity on behalf of or in opposition to candidates for public office. See the discussion in chapter 2 under Political Organization Income Tax Return.​

Yes. The problem was not the law, but its politically targeted application, and lying to Congress about it.

A jury can't infer guilt, but I can.
B
Also, pleading the 5th doesn't make her untouchable.

The biggest error on her part, was her opening statement, right before she took the 5th.
she's guilty of being incompetent, but that's not a crime. The fact is no organization doing political work should get 501 c(4) tax exemption status. See post 176 above.

Yes. The problem was not the law, but its politically targeted application, and lying to Congress about it.
As Lawrence O'Donnell pointed out there was a huge number of Tea Party organizations created in 2010.

How many people do you know who have invoked the 5th Amendment during a congressional investigation that were free of wrongdoing? As a government employee she should be compelled to comply. If her office contacted an American, that citizen would be compelled to comply.

No matter your prejudice, she appears to be guilty of something. Now she has to prove otherwise; or face the consequences of her actions (like being suspended to start with.)

Welcome to America.

That's what I'm going to do too.

But I can't help but wonder about how much all this influenced the 2012 election.

That's what I'm going to do too.

But I can't help but wonder about how much all this influenced the 2012 election.

I don't think it had much of an influence if any. I think the inept campaign Romney ran had more to do with his loss than any group being denied tax exempt status.

I guess we'll never know. What I would like to know is Harry Reid's source on Romney's taxes. Remember?

chicago trib editorial board, today:

IRS stonewalling makes the case for a special prosecutor - chicagotribune.com

don't you get lonely?

is that part of the reason why you're so angry?

party proud, progressives

IRS official on leave refused to resign, says GOP senator | Fox News

I didn't want to but couldn't resist and clicked your link and am glad I did. I wasn't aware of Max Baucus's role in Shulman's appointment. Thanks.

Dems saw increasing energy on the Repub side in 2010 and initiated voter suppression actions for 2012.

Clearly now that this scandal has come to light Obama's legitimacy is in serious question

There was an obvious coordinated attempt to target the Tea Party and other groups to blunt their effectiveness for the 2012 election. I wouldn't expect the Hope and Change cult members to grasp this, but there are going to be far reaching consequences historically and politically for Democrats using the IRS like the Gestapo to harass and intimidate private citizens.

More likely, now that the Republican party has chosen to make a huge deal of out nothing, the legitimacy of the Republican party is now in serious question.... Oh wait, it already WAS in serious question.

The mountain that has been made out of this molehill, if not such a tragedy given the huge distraction of our government resources from real problems, would make a sitcom of slap-stick that would make I Love Lucy look like a drama in comparison.

This is complete silliness, Cons... stop it and preserve what little dignity you still have.

If you think that this IRS scandal is nothing, then you are the one in denial.

I don't think it had much of an influence if any. I think the inept campaign Romney ran had more to do with his loss than any group being denied tax exempt status.

No group was denied tax exempt status... it is just groups that sought determination letters did not get them. You don't actually have to apply to be a 501(c)(4); you simply self-declare.

silliness, Cons

McCaskill Calls For Firing Of All Involved In IRS Targeting Scandal « CBS St. Louis

That could very well be the case.

No group was denied tax exempt status... it is just groups that sought determination letters did not get them. You don't actually have to apply to be a 501(c)(4); you simply self-declare.

Yeah, I saw that on Colbert too...Not sure if that is indeed the case...But let me just ask you something....

What possible relevance in determining someones tax exempt status could a question like, "How many times does your group pray together, and what is said in those prayers"?

How is that the IRS's business in determination?

No. You should understand that if you believe what you say, those of us on the right have little to lose politically. On the other hand, it does appear the left has much to lose - and you're losing it day by day. Sucks, I know, but having survived using such tactics, there's an elegant justice in watching you hang by them. I believe that's called "hoisted by your own petard". So, since you mentioned it, "Lucy! Looks like you have some 'splainin to do."

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…