• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Inside the AP: Fear, Determination

The Prof

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Inside the AP: Fear, determination - Dylan Byers and Katie Glueck - POLITICO.com

the 54 member media coalition's 4 page letter to ag holder and deputy cole, the body of which lays out point by point the doj's violations of its own manual for collecting phone records

Media coalition letter of protest to Attorney General Eric Holder - The Washington Post

"Chilling" keeps popping up in news stories. Here's what the NY Times Editorial Board has to say:

The Obama administration, which has a chilling zeal for investigating leaks and prosecuting leakers, has failed to offer a credible justification for secretly combing through the phone records of reporters and editors at The Associated Press in what looks like a fishing expedition for sources and an effort to frighten off whistle-blowers.

...Both Mr. Holder and Mr. Cole [a deputy AG]declared their commitment — and that of President Obama — to press freedoms. Mr. Cole said the administration does not “take lightly” such secretive trolling through media records.

We are not convinced.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/opinion/spying-on-the-associated-press.html?hp

I would be impressed if the AP folks had been angered because the law had been broken, instead of whining "they don't take us seriously."

It's rather hard to take the presstitute media seriously when they have demonstrated time and again that they are but government lap dogs, never asking intelligent questions, and just regurgitating government talking points.

"Chilling" keeps popping up in news stories.
Funny, just a couple of months ago they were all laughing at Bob Woodward for so much as implying such a thing.

In all honesty, the AP got what it deserved. Doesn't make the actions of the administration right or legal, and someone needs to be punished. But the AP along with most other 'media' have had a blind eye turned to this administration since day one.

Learn what it means to be journalists and this sort of thing might well never happen again, as you will quit empowering the overreach of power this administration is fond of.

holder testified today in house judiciary

Eric Holder gets grilled on the Hill - Josh Gerstein and Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

so clever, eric, to recuse...

so we'll just have to question mr cole

how's july sound?

you don't know when you recused yourself?

Holder: "I Am Not Sure" When I Recused Myself | RealClearPolitics

and you have no written record?

fair enough...

we'll just have to ask mr cole

how's september sound?

you can't remember how many others?

NPR: Holder Isn't Sure How Often Reporters' Records Are Seized

that many, huh?

while carney blames the cia for talking points, obama blames treasury for irs

NBC: W.H. Blaming Treasury Dept. for IRS Scandal

obama's buck never stops

so eric holder defers to the deputy we're just gonna have to depose...

in december

Holder On AP Scandal: "I Was Not The Person Involved" | RealClearPolitics

real slick

Last edited:
This is the type of crap you get when you elect someone with a cult of personality.

ap prez pruitt on ftn this morning:

Pruitt: DOJ subpoenas unconstitutional - POLITICO.com

intended or not, it's intimidating

stay tuned

the new civil rights movement?

LOL!

that'd be like the prof linking to breitbart

it's a question of self respect

President Obama tries to stop the bleeding - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

eric holder's doj, with a dismissive wave of its regal wrist, simply exempts itself

ap prez pruitt: "their rules require them to come to us first, but instead of trying to work with the ap the justice dept claimed an exception that informing the news organization would have posed a substantial threat to their investigation"

the result: a chilling stifling of news and information

stay tuned

Would the Baltimore Sun be more to your liking?

Republican senators block 'media shield' - Baltimore Sun

the sun

They just don't want dems to do it

LOL!

regardless of republican druthers, dems are doing it

ask pruitt

apparently, republicans aren't the only ones who don't appreciate the doj waiving its own rules in order to engage in this "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into the operations of a once free press

Gov't obtains wide AP phone records in probe

stay tuned

For one thing, I've seen no evidence that the Justice Dept investigators who worked on this are democrats.

For another, there's nothing hypocritical about Leahy complaining about this when he voted for the Shield Law. There is definitely something hypocritical when Issa complains about it after having voted against the Shield Law

Sangha's sorry attempts to blame Republicans is just getting sadder. The bill in question was not opposed by the Republicans, IT WAS A REPUBLICAN BILL. The issue was that the Democrats were trying to shove sh*t down everyone's throat (again) and froze congress because they didn't want to vote on an energy bill.

Somehow Sangha expects to make an unrelated Congressional log jam more responsible for the DOJ actions than the DOJ. In other words, it is laughably ludicrous.

Since the DOJ seems to have a problem staying within the existing laws it's doubly foolish to blame the lack of legislation being the cause of their latest scandal.

Last edited:

The publicans filibustered the bill.

It's hilarious that you are arguing that the dems were trying to shove the bill down the publicans throats *and* claim that the publicans supported the bill :lamo And I'm still waiting for you to post evidence that the DOJ investigators who did this were dems

The publicans filibustered the bill.

False. For one, it wasn't a filibuster. Learn what that word actually means.

Second, they didn't block that bill, they were trying to keep Reid from blocking the energy bill. The Republicans were seeking a comprehensive energy bill and the Democrats thumbed their noses and said F__ OFF rather than negotiating, as has been Harry Reid's way since he took his current position.

It's hilarious that you are arguing that the dems were trying to shove the bill down the publicans throats

False. I didn't say that.

*and* claim that the publicans supported the bill :lamo And I'm still waiting for you to post evidence that the DOJ investigators who did this were dems

Pointless given that you got that first part wrong.

Last edited:
Would the Baltimore Sun be more to your liking?

Republican senators block 'media shield' - Baltimore Sun

I see what you're trying to do here, and what the GOP did appears to be based on honest opinions about underlying issues that could arise with the passage of this bill. I think McCain, who btw supported the bill, explains these concerns. So it wasn't some partisan hackery or hate of the media that led to the filibuster, but a security concern in the Senate version.

Sen. McCain Endorses Press Shield Law

It is "chilling" considering these scandals show just how "Orwellian" this present administration actually is - not to mention our alphabet agencies are.

It really shows how far this bureaucracy is willing to go to promote a political agenda.

You can bet all the conspiracy theorists are saying "told you so." Yes there is a conspiracy by progressives in power to dictate outcomes while using non-democratic methods to do so.

Neither of which would have applied in this case.

The publicans want the govt to intimidate the press.

They just don't want dems to do it

That's funny.....this is not what Jonathon Alter is saying. Nor Woodword. Nor Carl Bernstein or Lanny Davis. Which doesn't even include the CEO of the AP.

Administration Officials Routinely Threaten the Press

Finally, this week, reporters are pushing back. Even Jonathan Alter — who frequently appears on the Obama-friendly MSNBC — came forward to say he, too, had been treated horribly by the administration for writing something they didn’t like.

There is a kind of threatening tone that, from time to time — not all the time — comes out of these guys,” Alter said this week. During the 2008 campaign swing through Berlin, Alter said that future White House press secretary Robert Gibbs disinvited him from a dinner between Obama and the press corps over it.

I was told ‘Don’t come,’ in a fairly abusive e-mail,” he said. “[It] made what Gene Sperling wrote [to Woodward] look like patty-cake.”

I had a young reporter asking tough, important questions of an Obama Cabinet secretary,” says one DC veteran. “She was doing her job, and they were trying to bully her. In an e-mail, they called her the vilest names — bitch, c--t, a--hole.” He complained and was told the matter would be investigated: “They were hemming and hawing, saying, ‘We’ll look into it.’ Nothing happened.”.....snip~

Just Following Their Leader - Carol Platt Liebau

So the GOP killed the First Amendment?

Honestly that is the big deal here. This was a flagrant shove at freedom of the press.

The death of the First Amendment, indeed, of the entire Bill Of Rights and rest of the US Constitution has been a decidedly bipartisan effort. Russ Feingold was the only Senator to vote against the unpatriot act. All his 'esteemed colleagues' voted for it, its various extensions, the abolition of Habeas Corpus, immunity for telecoms as seen in FISA II, etc etc etc.

Bipartisan effort.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…