• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indian official: Diplomat's arrest in NYC barbaric

I think you folks see only one side of the story.

As for the barricade removal, there shouldn't be any controversy at all. The barricades were given as a courtesy in the first place. Once India perceived that its diplomatic mission isn't going to be treated equally - they decided not to extend such courtesies anymore.

My English is a bit patchy, but i hope what im trying to convey gets through to you guys.

Mornin' Mech. :2wave: Well some see the story for what it is.....but there was no reason to take the barricades down in front of the US Embassy. None here are trying to hit or attack any Indian Embassy. So all their people are safe while under our protection.

Now should our Embassy get attacked in India.....then afterwards, which Indian Official should we call for his head to be delivered to us on a silver platter?

Mornin' Mech. :2wave: Well some see the story for what it is.....but there was no reason to take the barricades down in front of the US Embassy. None here are trying to hit or attack any Indian Embassy. So all their people are safe while under our protection.

Now should our Embassy get attacked in India.....then afterwards, which Indian Official should we call for his head to be delivered to us on a silver platter?

Barricade protection isn't something we extend any other diplomatic mission. Not even for other nations involved in the WoT. Since there isn't any reciprocity at all, it was deemed no longer necessary.

This thing goes a long way back as well. Our former defence minister was strip searched 9 years ago by the TSA. On 2012 a former indian president who is also a famous scientist was strip searched.

The latest incident was the final straw. All this happens despite our government(s) going over the top to make sure the US diplomatic personnel get preferential treatment.

The indian government is perfectly capable protecting foreign missions.

Barricade protection isn't something we extend any other diplomatic mission. Not even for other nations involved in the WoT. Since there isn't any reciprocity at all, it was deemed no longer necessary.

This thing goes a long way back as well. Our former defence minister was strip searched 9 years ago by the TSA. On 2012 a former indian president who is also a famous scientist was strip searched.

The latest incident was the final straw. All this happens despite our government(s) going over the top to make sure the US diplomatic personnel get preferential treatment.

The indian government is perfectly capable protecting foreign missions.

I can't tell<meaning I don't think they could>.....and clearly they could not here. If it wasn't for our People. Just like there where it would be on those people to not only protect but have the ability to respond with force immediately should any go after our Embassy. Reducing ones ability to have more control over specific conditions.....doesn't give them more of an ability to handle any situation.

What makes those in the Middle Class and Higher think they are any different from all others? Who said people from India were Special and above the Law?

Did you catch that part on.....how the Rich and poor both see the same Jail and conditions. Go thru the same procedures.

Course that's not to say there aren't those that get special treatment with other aspects to being locked up. But going thru arrest is the same for all.

Moreover.....I haven't heard to much about those in India looking to take the War on Terror up front and personal like. Take on terrorists and their likes.

I can't tell<meaning I don't think they could>.....and clearly they could not here.[\QUOTE]
They could. Because ministers and former presidents have full diplomatic immunity.

If it wasn't for our People. Just like there where it would be on those people to not only protect but have the ability to respond with force immediately should any go after our Embassy. Reducing ones ability to have more control over specific conditions.....doesn't give them more of an ability to handle any situation.[\QUOTE]
It is the responsibility of the indian governmnent to protect foreign missions. I don't see why any foreign mission should be allowed to take matters into their hands on a territory where they are guests.

What makes those in the Middle Class and Higher think they are any different from all others? Who said people from India were Special and above the Law?[\QUOTE]
Mrs. Khobragarde hherself is a member of what you would call a "lower caste" in India. So before anyone brings up the indian caste argument i would like to put this out before them. As for the case Mrs.Khobragarde isn't just a random person from India. She is a representative of India. So by default deserves a certain amount of leeway.
Did you catch that part on.....how the Rich and poor both see the same Jail and conditions. Go thru the same procedures.

Course that's not to say there aren't those that get special treatment with other aspects to being locked up. But going thru arrest is the same for all[\QUOTE]
I don't get it. What is it with the rich and poor thing ? I don't really know whether Mrs.Khobragarde is rich or poor, and quite frankly, I don't care. She is an IFS officer who is charged with representing india and also a member of our diplomatic mission to the US
Moreover.....I haven't heard to much about those in India looking to take the War on Terror up front and personal like. Take on terrorists and their likes.
We already fight a war on terror on our home soil. We are facing off Pakistan on our western border and china on the eastern front. India is actively involved with reconstruction in Afghanistan and also trains afghan military/commando personnel. The government isn't interested in fighting United states as well. Any one who ends becoming a US ally ends becoming a US lackey.

I can't tell<meaning I don't think they could>.....and clearly they could not here.[\QUOTE]
They could. Because ministers and former presidents have full diplomatic immunity.

If it wasn't for our People. Just like there where it would be on those people to not only protect but have the ability to respond with force immediately should any go after our Embassy. Reducing ones ability to have more control over specific conditions.....doesn't give them more of an ability to handle any situation.[\QUOTE]
It is the responsibility of the indian governmnent to protect foreign missions. I don't see why any foreign mission should be allowed to take matters into their hands on a territory where they are guests.

What makes those in the Middle Class and Higher think they are any different from all others? Who said people from India were Special and above the Law?[\QUOTE]
Mrs. Khobragarde hherself is a member of what you would call a "lower caste" in India. So before anyone brings up the indian caste argument i would like to put this out before them. As for the case Mrs.Khobragarde isn't just a random person from India. She is a representative of India. So by default deserves a certain amount of leeway.

Course that's not to say there aren't those that get special treatment with other aspects to being locked up. But going thru arrest is the same for all[\QUOTE]
I don't get it. What is it with the rich and poor thing ? I don't really know whether Mrs.Khobragarde is rich or poor, and quite frankly, I don't care. She is an IFS officer who is charged with representing india and also a member of our diplomatic mission to the US

We already fight a war on terror on our home soil. We are facing off Pakistan on our western border and china on the eastern front. India is actively involved with reconstruction in Afghanistan and also trains afghan military/commando personnel. The government isn't interested in fighting United states as well. Any one who ends becoming a US ally ends becoming a US lackey.

Well.....here she was charged with a crime. Which means like others.....any hat or title she carries doesn't mean that much. She isn't special over any other people.

Btw that state she is from the Middle class over there.

Also we seem to have the maid hidden away and were the ones to get the rest of the maids family out of India. Before they arrested her. Now why do you think that is?

Well.....here she was charged with a crime. Which means like others.....any hat or title she carries doesn't mean that much. She isn't special over any other people.

Btw that state she is from the Middle class over there.

Also we seem to have the maid hidden away and were the ones to get the rest of the maids family out of India. Before they arrested her. Now why do you think that is?

This is why the indian government removed the barricades. The US diplomatic corps should no longer be accorded privileges not extended to others because there simply isn't any reciprocity.

The title she carries means everything because she is there on invitation.

About the maid, i don't know why your government pulls the crap it does. It sounds an awful lot like a ploy to get green card and some moron US diplomat acting independently. She was paid 30000 indian rupees per month here in India in addition. Not to mention, electricity, accommodation and food. There is also so much about the maid that no one knows at this point for any of us to start speculating.

US of all the nations in the world shouldn't be preaching anything. Its not morally right. Two years ago pakistani civilians were shot to death in broad daylight by a US consular attache in Pakistan. Your government claimed diplomatic immunity and the son of a bitch walked free. So many instances exist where your government treats its allies like crap but expects quiet deference in return.

It gets to point when it simply goes too far. You don't have so many allies that you afford to treat them so. The world changed a lot since the cold war.

On the question of diplomatic immunity.

United states shouldn't be the one to preach at all. If you care to look back into the last year - an American 'diplomat' went Chuck Norris in Pakistan (a sovereign nation). The dickwad killed pakistani civilians in broad daylight and the US got him out claiming diplomatic immunity.

What is it with your nation and its double standards ? India is a sovereign state and we expect our diplomats be treated with the same amount of dignity and accorded the same amount of freedom we extend to yours.

Good question that's difficult to answer other than we do what we do cause we can. Not much different than any bully.

Good question that's difficult to answer other than we do what we do cause we can. Not much different than any bully.

Exactly. Im thankful for the Snowden leaks. At least now its getting out there for everyone to see.

Devyani Khobragade arrest: US official made serious mistake in reading paperwork, says lawyer | NDTV.com

"Mr Smith "simply made an error in reading the DS-160 form which supported the visa application for the domestic worker, Sangeeta Richard," Mr Arshack told PTI.

"He erroneously and disastrously believed that the USD 4,500 per month salary entry on the form was Richard's expected salary when, in fact, it was clearly a reporting of the base salary to be earned by the employer, Khobragade, in the US,"

Back
Top Bottom