• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I have difficulties in reaching this forum

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
My computer works well everywhere else.

But the forum here is loading very slowly for me - and sometimes not at all...

What could it be?

What could it be?

7:03 am EDT, loading fine. On occasion, I experience what you describe. Switching browsers and, or wireless internet routers (2 are wired to my cable internet modem) usually restores connectivity. I do experience, after posting a comment, that the comment does not appear until I reload the DP Forum page I most recently posted to.

I use Mozilla Nightly and Opera browsers. I've never loaded Google Chrome onto any device owing to its reputation as spyware.

https://archive.is/EJ1tU .... Or,

Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s Web browser has become spy software​

Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000 tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox is better.​

June 21, 2019

Last edited:
I have Google Chrome -

But I never had any trouble loading this forum in all those years

Except yesterday - and now again.

I have Google Chrome -

How far are you from Stuttgart? Wife's son moved his family there last summer. He's full MAGA and seems happier out of the U.S. He visited Serbia a year ago and seems to prefer
to live there if he could find a job opportunity matching his current one in Stuttgart. He's also happy with prosecutors merging with judiciary in Poland.

Last edited:

What could it be?
DP has had temporary issues over the years, but they've been minor, quickly addressed and very far between. I haven't experienced any loading issues at all in the last year or so, that I can recall.

My suspicion is that your problem lies with your DNS server.

This article will tell you everything you need to know about that: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-and-why-to-change-your-dns-server

If on Windows, try running trace route to see where the holdup is.

Type CMD from the start menu to open a command prompt.

Type
Code:
tracert www.debatepolitics.com
into the command prompt and hit enter.

Watch the results and see where the delay is coming from.

I was actually wondering about the lack of off the wall Rumple Polls. ;)
I was worried about you.
That is very kind of you to say so! :)

DP has had temporary issues over the years, but they've been minor, quickly addressed and very far between. I haven't experienced any loading issues at all in the last year or so, that I can recall.
My suspicion is that your problem lies with your DNS server.
This article will tell you everything you need to know about that: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-and-why-to-change-your-dns-server
Could be - but how does that explain the fact that I do not have any difficulties anywhere else?

Type
Code:

Sounds very professional! :)
But I am a complete layman if it comes to those details.
Thank you for your help in any case! :)

Sounds very professional! :)
But I am a complete layman if it comes to those details.
Thank you for your help in any case! :)
It's really rather simple. It shows how long each hop between your PC and the destination address takes.

Btw:

The forum runs quite normal for me now - in the time of my writing this. :)

Could be - but how does that explain the fact that I do not have any difficulties anywhere else?
Your DNS server could have problems resolving specific groups addresses or individual addresses.

Type
Code:

Is there nothing you don't know?

I don't know more than I know.
...because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.

...because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.
I'm not counting the unknown unknowns, just the possible known unknowns. Nobody can just know even a fraction of that. The source of this particular knowledge though can be found in the recent topic about cable repair technicians.

I'm not counting the unknown unknowns, just the possible known unknowns. Nobody can just know even a fraction of that. The source of this particular knowledge though can be found in the recent topic about cable repair technicians.
Speaking of cable companies @Rumpel like other tech companies you're going to get an email survey from PF asking your opinion on the customer service support, with a chance to win a prize.

The prize is an all expense paid trip to Pittsburgh. Second prize is two trips to Pittsburgh.

I have Google Chrome -

As I recall the Google folks do not give you options about updates, so the first thing I would check would be if there was a recent update. Next is to ask how you handle data on that browser. Do you delete all data? Do you keep it all? BUT! do not answer those questions here, as that is a security risk. Just keep those in mind and see what you can come up with.

Myself, I do not use Google's browser. I do not trust Google that far and I do not like update options to be auto.

As of late I have been using Firefox (some versions back [I never trust a new update]) for this site and I must admit that once in a bit some weird things happen, but I have been normally too busy to do screen grabs and start a file for this site for tech issues. And it does not happen often. In fact, very few times in about the past couple months.

But to be straight, any of us would have to have too much information about your configuration of that unit you use to be able to give you any solid advice based on facts, and you posting information out here in public about your configuration would be a security problem.

A safe question, though, is your use of "loading" and whether it is only when the site is loading? Keep in mind that if you turned on your unit after it has been turned off for a fair bit of time and this site is the first Net access you are doing after starting up your unit it will be slower than if you had accessed another site before you loaded this site. And so far I have found that to be the case with about five different browsers. I use different browsers for different purposes, so I have had the chance to test that "first site access" situation with a few different browsers.

As I recall I have not noticed any problems of slow loading, but sometimes I have odd happenings while posting. Very likely, though, that is at my end, as I have a very odd work station arrangement here, as you have probably guessed just by the number of browsers I use.

BUT, again, be so careful when posting information about anything you use to access the Net. So many people seem to place all sorts of information out in public and don't realize they are helping a 'would be' hacker. We'd have to know what processor your unit has and your RAM and that stuff should not be posted out here in public. Even browser settings could come into the troubleshooting phase and, again, not good to post that in public.

The list that covers why a given site suddenly goes slow after it has loaded is really long. Not quite as long as for unusual slowness when loading.

One more thing, you really ought to learn how to use command prompt.

Just one more question; you do know how to start your unit in safe mode, yes?

Back
Top Bottom