• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
I really have no idea what point you are trying to make. The deal with Korea is a new ideal entered into by the UK and Korea.

It is a deal that continues the current deal with the EU and Korea. The EU negotiated the 0% tariff 5+ years ago.

You were obviously ignorant of the fact that EU cars exported into the UK will have a 10% tariff if there is no deal, whilst vehicles from Korea will enter tariff free due to a deal already agreed between the UK and Korea.

If the UK puts 10% tariff on cars yes. They dont have too. Point is that without the deal that the UK made with Korea, the UK would have to put 10% on them as well if they put 10% on EU cars. They have to put 10% on American cars, Australian cars and so on, because the UK has not schedules or deals with said countries. Those are the WTO rules and it goes for all goods.

A no deal will substantially damage the EU motor industry. That is why I believe a deal will be concluded.

No. It will hurt yes, but you are forgetting other factors like the pound going down. You are also forgetting that 80% of cars made in the UK are exported to the EU.. which will become 10% more expensive (at a minimum...crashing pound will help, but also hurt on raw materials).

I have previously posted links on this site which list the dozens of trade deals already entered into or in progress between the UK and other nations.

There are 200 countries in the world.. a dozen deals with micro nations that the UK does not trade much with.. is not that impressive.

That's just another thumb such claim which has no basis in fact. it's ludicrous to claim that the UK is less free because Brits will now make ALL decisions that affect Brits.

Okay we are getting no where. Yes the UK is less free... if the UK wants a trade deal with someone, they have to go into considerable more compromise as they are in most cases the weak party in the negotiations. Take the US.. the UK will have to give up sooooo much to get a deal... is that not being less free? Being forced to lower standards and give up UHC is kinda having less freedom no?

I gave an example of my family in Ireland and how they tell me that the Irish are seething over the EU taking their country to the European Commission over the way Ireland taxes Apple Inc. The case has cost both sides millions of Euros and the EU has said it will appeal the adverse decision that has gone against them. Ireland is no longer free to make its own decisions. ....just as it was not free when Britain ruled the country.

What a load of bs. Ireland won that case in the courts (for now). And Ireland is free to set its own taxes in accordance to the agreements it made with its fellow EU brothers. You do understand basic contract law right? The fact that it allowed Apple to only pay 2% in taxes is a scandal and Ireland should be ashamed.

The UK will no longer have to conform to the "freedom of movement" condition and will have total control over who lives and works in the country. It can make its own trade deals....... its own standards etc.

Sigh..

And you claim it will be less free?

Yes.. their own standards.... sure, but then your goods cant be sold anywhere? At least in the EU, the UK was part of setting that standard. Now, they they have 2 choices... to meet the standards of bigger and more powerful countries, or not be able to sell their goods anywhere. Great freedom there eh? Take cars... right now the UK can sell its cars to Europe tariff free. After 1st of January no.. so what to do.. sell them to the US? Not an option.. why? Because they have 10% tariff as well, plus very different standards that require considerable changes to the production system to make the cars legal in the US. Also no one in the US wants European designed cars.. So where do they sell these cars.. Australia? Nope, 10% tariff and distance. South Korea.. yea right.. China.. HAHAHA... And this is only cars.

Also now UK citizens have to stand in line with people from India at airports.. before they could just walk into France or Spain.. not anymore. Great freedom there eh?

Surely you can't be serious?

Surely your disappointment at UK leaving the EU is affecting your judgement?

I am not disappointed that the UK left the EU.. I am sad for the people of the UK as I have many friends that are British. Nothing more. But enough is enough.... your lack of basic EU knowledge is clear, so debating further wont change anything.

UK, still wanting to have its cake and eat it:

they also begged the EU to say that they would block Scotland's membership to the EU if they left the UK ... in a hope to avert Indyref2 lol .... shows how desperate they are

bFLRqH.jpg

That also doesn't mean they'll give Scotland instant admission though.
The way I understand it is that Scotland will have to go through the same process as any other new member state so may or may not gain entry.

I hope they do gain entry if they leave if that's what the people of Scotland want but it's not certain.

they also begged the EU to say that they would block Scotland's membership to the EU if they left the UK ... in a hope to avert Indyref2 lol .... shows how desperate they are

bFLRqH.jpg

Just out of interest, assuming that any such indyref failed to achieve Scottish dependence on Germany, when would you Scots nats seek another referendum...or have we reached a point of neverendingrefererendum lol. As I’ve always said to you...paradoxically the way to German dependence for you is to seek the vote for us English...your dependence would be guaranteed...and I’m not joking...

The way I understand it is that Scotland will have to go through the same process as any other new member state so may or may not gain entry.

I hope they do gain entry if they leave if that's what the people of Scotland want but it's not certain.
At least if the Scots weren’t allowed into the EU they would actually achieve independence.

I am not sure what acts you are talking about? Are you talking about the treatment of Aboriginals? If so, many would argue that our treatment of indigenous people has been far better than that of people from the European continent. The Germans, Dutch,Spanish, Portuguese,French,Belgians etc all have far worse records than Australians. Britain suffered centuries of raping, pillaging and murdering by Scandinavians.

Mainland Europeans have by far the worst record of abuse against people they have invaded/conquered of any people in the world.

Don't forget that when you point a finger at other, there are four fingers pointing at yourself.

The fact that many Australians value their links with Britain is testament to the fact that Australians see Britain as being a force for good in the world.....and there is plenty of justification for feeling this way.

Psychologists are not so dumb and ignorant as to make such an absurd claim.

The UK is only Australia's seventh largest trading partner, but our relationship with the UK goes far beyond that. It was Britain and it's former colonies that were the largest contributors, along with Russia, to keeping Europe free from European fascists. Australians are immensely proud that they helped Britain and her allies defeat fascists and imperialists from Europe and Japan.

And why would we not support Brexit, as it will clearly benefit Australia. We would much rather increase our trade with the UK than with our current largest trading partner, China.

I personally would like the apron strings to stay exactly where they are. Only 31% of Australians have British heritage.....which is yet more proof that respect for Britain in Australia goes far beyond DNA.

Unfortunately, many EU citizens are evidently extremely jealous of this respect many people around the world have for the British.

Brexit 'cos the Vikings, gotcha.
I notice you fail to mention the partition of India.

Brexit 'cos the Vikings, gotcha.
All the bullshit about how evil the British empire was utterly ignores that fact that at that time no country in the world was behaving any differently...unless they were too weak to impose their will. The left really are unthinking dullards.

Taking the piss is a British tradition lol. By the way it’s not taking the piss if it would benefit EU citizens too...Johnson is putting pressure on the EU via its citizens connections to the U.K...you do know millions of EU citizens would rather live here than the EU don’t you?
I know what you mean. It is rare indeed to find a retired English couple living in Spain or a young girl from Weymouth helping to stock shelves in an Andalucían supermarket. Oh! wait, that was last Thursday. Ha!

The British Empire wasn't all bad or all good.
We did some bad shit but we also built railways in India that are still in use now and it was still pretty impressive for a small island to build such a massive empire in the first place.

I'd say you could argue for both sides and be convincing.

We did some bad shit but we also built railways in India that are still in use now and it was still pretty impressive for a small island to build such a massive empire in the first place.

It's a good thing the English did not rely on Indians to actually built their railways, I suppose.

All the bullshit about how evil the British empire was utterly ignores that fact that at that time no country in the world was behaving any differently...unless they were too weak to impose their will. The left really are unthinking dullards.

The partition of India was in 1947, not 1747.

Man it is like you don’t think India could build its own railway system.

Man it is like you don’t think India could build its own railway system.

I'm sure they could have but the British have always been pretty good at building and running train systems.

I'm sure they could have but the British have always been pretty good at building and running train systems.

Perhaps 120 years ago, since then the US, Europe, Japan, China have long surpassed the Uk. US rail cargo is a very advanced system

we were told our membership would be fast tracked

we were told our membership would be fast tracked

I don't think that was a cast iron promise and I have a feeling any other potential new members would complain at a country being given preferential treatment.

Perhaps 120 years ago, since then the US, Europe, Japan, China have long surpassed the Uk. US rail cargo is a very advanced system

The US has nothing on the scale of Crossrail and HS2 which are being built as we speak and are world class projects.
The UK is still great at building and maintaining train systems.

Tell that to the English who pay thousands for a season ticket to get to work on unreliable service.

Tell that to the English who pay thousands for a season ticket to get to work on unreliable service.

I didn't say it was perfect and I have a friend and his wife both commute into London (well they did before Covid19, now they work from home) all week.

I can confirm it's outrageously expensive. I believe it's the most expensive train prices in Europe but that could change as covid 19 has kind of buggered up the franchise model with hardly anyone travelling at the moment meaning the franchises are being handed back to government control.
British Rail may live again after all which would be quite the turnaround.
The London Underground is public owned anyway.

The US has nothing on the scale of Crossrail and HS2 which are being built as we speak and are world class projects.
The UK is still great at building and maintaining train systems.

Which is why I said cargo. US passenger rail sucks. US rail for cargo I expect is the best in the world, considering scale, cosgt and volume

Yes. I agree that the British got this right. It must have saved hundreds of thousands of lives, if not millions.

But, in my defence, the list of British achievements is so long, I could not fit them all on this thread...which was created to discuss Brexit.

History has shown that people of different cultures and religions seldom get on well together.

True.

"The Problem With Scotland's Desire To Be In The EU - They Wouldn't Be Accepted As Members"

It will hurt yes, but you are forgetting other factors like the pound going down.

I hadn't forgot that, but the considerate side of me didn't want to rub it in as you were already struggling in the debate.

But yes, if the Pound did decline it would increase the damage to the EU motor industry even further, not to mention making other imports into the UK even more expensive thus giving a huge advantage to British companies supplying similar goods, as well as making British exports cheaper to EU purchasers and hence potentially increasing British exports.

You didn't think that one through, did you Pete?

a dozen deals with micro nations that the UK does not trade much with.. is not that impressive.

Er, except that there are dozens, not a dozen, and anyone with any brains knows that the UK will trade with all the nations of the world, just as they did before joining the EU

Okay we are getting no where.

Speak for yourself.....but at least you have been able to vent some of your frustration over the fact that the UK no longer wants to be part of the EU.

You must feel better for that.

Being forced to lower standards

Er, and who exactly is forcing the UK to lower its standards?

I visited some of the EU's newest members before Covid and have never experienced such low standards, even in some African nations.

Ireland is free to set its own taxes in accordance to the agreements it made with its fellow EU brothers.

Don't you realise how lacking in logic that statement is? Has it not occurred to you that Ireland would be even "more free" if it had to ability to decide for itself how it taxed companies operating in that country?

Surely even you are not suggesting that every EU member is happy with all new regulations passed by the EU?

Do you really believe that Ireland are happy with the EU rules on taxation even though you know that they have spent tens of millions of Euro fighting the EU in court over these very same taxation regulations?

Also now UK citizens have to stand in line with people from India at airports.

Er, perhaps they don't mind because they are not as racist as the Danes who, as I have already shown through my links, have the most racist anti-immigration laws in Europe.

I am not disappointed that the UK left the EU...

I have found it hard to restrain myself from cutting and pasting a long line of Haha's.

If you were not disappointed you would surely not be so blatantly angry and critical of people you have called racist etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom