• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to file your 2023 tax return for free

RedFishBlueFish

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I thought this might be of interest for some. I got TurboTax for free a year or so ago, but last year my bill was substantial. So, I've been looking for alternatives. My taxes are simple with one exception, income on an investment account. And even that isn't real complicated. So, I'm looking for free filing elsewhere this year. It looks like I might just use the IRS system.

Here are some excerpts from the article. https://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/free-tax-filing-165852037.html I hope this is of benefit to someone.

1. Qualify for IRS Free File​

In partnership with the Free File Alliance, the IRS offers IRS Free File to eligible tax filers with an adjusted gross income (AGI) or taxable income of less than $79,000 in 2023. This free federal tax preparation software uses a series of simple questions to help complete your tax return. It’s best for those who aren’t itemizing expenses, don’t own a business, and don’t require extensive adjustments.

2. Leverage free or trial versions of tax software​

If your AGI is above $80,000 or you have other income sources that complicate your tax forms, you can find free options from popular tax brands, including H&R Block, Turbo Tax, Tax Slayer, and TaxAct Free. Like IRS Free File, these software options are best for individuals with straightforward tax filings, and they sometimes include free state tax filing. (NOTE - I wonder is this is a mistake and it should be BELOW $80,000.)

3. Use Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)​

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a program supported by a federal grant that provides free tax preparation to low- and moderate-income taxpayers. This is a community partnership that staffs sites in libraries, schools, and other convenient sites around the country with IRS-certified volunteers who provide in-person, free tax help.

4. Use the Tax Counseling for the Elderly program​

A sister program to VITA, Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) also uses a federal grant to provide free tax preparation services to older taxpayers. Many TCE sites are run in cooperation with the nonprofit AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program.

5. File with MilTax software and tax assistance​

Military members, their families, and some veterans may qualify to have taxes filed for free through MilTax,

Kinda like Trump finding those loopholes eh?

I hate this stupid shit. Every year we have to play this ridiculous charade of telling the IRS everything they already know, using forms that are so confusing and overly-complicated that getting help from paid software and/or professionals has become the norm. If we get it wrong, the IRS eventually finds out, and then they charge us exorbitant late fees & interest depending on how long it took them to find out. ****ing nonsense.

I hate this stupid shit. Every year we have to play this ridiculous charade of telling the IRS everything they already know, using forms that are so confusing and overly-complicated that getting help from paid software and/or professionals has become the norm. If we get it wrong, the IRS eventually finds out, and then they charge us exorbitant late fees & interest depending on how long it took them to find out. ****ing nonsense.
There were years when my tax return was a little bit complicated - before I retired and became single again. About 3-4 years ago I switched to Turbo Tax because they were either free or very low cost. Once you get in one of those systems it's beneficial to keep using it as much of your data is automatically input and the system compares your tax form with last years. But, my Turbo Tax cost last year was pretty significant for a very simple return. So, I'm looking for something cheaper or free this year. I may give the IRS free file a shot. I qualify. But, I do need for the questions to be sufficient to cover my needs and no confusion. Is it possible for the government to issue a confusion-free system on the first year out? :)

In Canada I use TurboTax. I open it and it links to CRA (our IRS) and autopopulates my return.

I look it over and click a box. It links to CRA again submitting my return.

I get an instant assessment notification and if there's a refund it's in my bank account within a week.

An obvious next step would be for CRA to send me a return already filled out. Cut out TurboTax and save the cost of that.

For $30 you can get the HR Block program which includes 1 state and 5 free e-files. Handles most returns. Been using it for years. If it can't handle your return you probably want an expert looking at it anyway. Online help is also available.

The only people in the UK who have to do tax returns are the self employed.

I've never had to do a tax return as it's automatic for everyone with a standard job.

Back
Top Bottom