• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Ginni Thomas, Wife of Justice Clarence Thomas, Influences the Supreme Court

You did not ask me for my standard. I specifically answered that I had no standard. I’m trying to explore your assertions to see if they make sense to me but you don’t seem to have facts, just your opinion.

Who hired Mrs Thomas as a lobbyist? Was it the people appealing the case to the Supreme Court, or just people who sided with the appellants? I’m happy to answer specific questions, yours is very general and you haven’t connected the dots between a lobbyist attempting to influence and Mrs Thomas such that Justice Thomas should recuse himself in any specific case.

I read the articles posted here and they haven’t connected the dots either. Just innuendo and speculation.

Do you think Mrs and Justice Thomas have similar opinions on the law? What about any other Justice and their spouse?
Post #67 you stated that if she were arguing he should recuse himself. Not til #71 did you state you had no standard, after clearing indicating previously that you did. You do like to play games don't you? Thats another assertion I make, on the basis of the actual words you post.

Mrs Thomas runs a large lobbying firm. Liberty Consulting, she is the only employee. She advertises that she has access to all doors in Washington. Organizations who have an interest in cases heard by the Supreme Court HIRE her and PAY her for her services. One interesting fact is that her firm was created in such a way that it is not required to report the names of her clients. I will post another article for your perusal. If you care to take the time to read it you might ask yourself if this is so innocent, why have Justices Kagan, Kavanaugh, and Roberts recused themselves in cases where family members had an interest.

Your last question about whether the Thomas duo share similar opinions.....she states that Trump won the election, endorsed the actions of those who breached the Capitol, and sent them her "love". Do you think those are appropriate opinions for a Supreme Court Justice to share?

Post #67 you stated that if she were arguing he should recuse himself. Not til #71 did you state you had no standard, after clearing indicating previously that you did. You do like to play games don't you? Thats another assertion I make, on the basis of the actual words you post.

Mrs Thomas runs a large lobbying firm. Liberty Consulting, she is the only employee. She advertises that she has access to all doors in Washington. Organizations who have an interest in cases heard by the Supreme Court HIRE her and PAY her for her services. One interesting fact is that her firm was created in such a way that it is not required to report the names of her clients. I will post another article for your perusal. If you care to take the time to read it you might ask yourself if this is so innocent, why have Justices Kagan, Kavanaugh, and Roberts recused themselves in cases where family members had an interest.

Your last question about whether the Thomas duo share similar opinions.....she states that Trump won the election, endorsed the actions of those who breached the Capitol, and sent them her "love". Do you think those are appropriate opinions for a Supreme Court Justice to share?

Thomas isn't allowed Free Speech ?

I said I didn’t have a standard but I felt that we could both agree that if she were arguing a case before the Court that then it was clear that he should recuse himself. I don’t believe that is a standard. A standard is likely more circumstances than that but I truly don’t know what that should be. Is that a game? Sorry you think so.

I’m confused, on what criteria is Liberty a large firm since you say she is the single employee.

I have no reason to get into the specifics of her opinion as I don’t think it is relevant to the discussion. I don’t hold many of her opinions based upon what I read. I believe a number of Justices are religious, that it likely an opinion of which I don’t agree. Based upon our discussion, I will say that if Mrs Thomas has only been involved with Amicus briefs, then that is not a basis alone for Justice Thomas to recuse himself.

Please name 1 case where she did more and I will be happy to review it. Or don’t, your choice.

I said I didn’t have a standard but I felt that we could both agree that if she were arguing a case before the Court that then it was clear that he should recuse himself. I don’t believe that is a standard. A standard is likely more circumstances than that but I truly don’t know what that should be. Is that a game? Sorry you think so.

I’m confused, on what criteria is Liberty a large firm since you say she is the single employee.

I have no reason to get into the specifics of her opinion as I don’t think it is relevant to the discussion. I don’t hold many of her opinions based upon what I read. I believe a number of Justices are religious, that it likely an opinion of which I don’t agree. Based upon our discussion, I will say that if Mrs Thomas has only been involved with Amicus briefs, then that is not a basis alone for Justice Thomas to recuse himself.

Please name 1 case where she did more and I will be happy to review it. Or don’t, your choice.
I don't think you read the article I provided if you cannot see the conflict of interest.

Ginny Thomas's firm offers access to "all doors in Washington". What employees do you assume she needs? She is a lobbyist, though she has not bothered to register as one. Many of her clients and associates file briefs on matters before the court.

From the article:
And an interesting question is, where would Frank Gaffney and his organization get the $200,000 or more that they used to hire Ginni Thomas as a lobbyist? And you did some reporting on this. What did you discover?

MAYER: Yeah. Good question. Where does the Center for Security Policy find the cash to pay over a hundred thousand a year to Ginni Thomas' consulting firm? It's just a little nonprofit. So where's this coming from? And if you push back further and kind of, you know, turn the rocks over further, what you find is that Gaffney's center was funded by a political group which was chaired by Rebekah Mercer, the sort of well-known Trump backer. She's an heiress and part of the Mercer family that's made tons of money on Wall Street. And she's backed all kinds of Trump causes and Trump's election.

And so what you can see is the money has gone from Trump backers to the Gaffney nonprofit and from that to Ginni Thomas' consulting firm. And there you've got the wife of a Supreme Court justice basically receiving these funds that are one step removed from Trump backers while her husband is sitting in judgment of Trump's policies. It's just - as one of the legal scholars I interviewed, David Luban, said, it's slicing the baloney a little bit too thin.

There was no disclosure that a entity that filed a brief was paying a Justice's wife $100,000 a year for "access"

This situation stinks to high heaven. Pretty much done discussing it if you insist you see no problem.

I don't think you read the article I provided if you cannot see the conflict of interest.

Ginny Thomas's firm offers access to "all doors in Washington". What employees do you assume she needs? She is a lobbyist, though she has not bothered to register as one. Many of her clients and associates file briefs on matters before the court.

From the article:

There was no disclosure that a entity that filed a brief was paying a Justice's wife $100,000 a year for "access"

This situation stinks to high heaven. Pretty much done discussing it if you insist you see no problem.
If you don’t see the conjecture in the article you presented, then Good Day to you.

Back
Top Bottom