• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Home projects thread

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I've seen home improvement posts here and there on the forum and thought it would be nice to have a thread to show off your projects. Whether it be renovations, decorating or landscaping show your work here.

Here are some of my renovation before/after photos. I bought a heritage house about six years ago and restored it. Some of the work I did myself, some was done by my girlfriend's brother-in-law who's a very good carpenter.

This is the before and after of the bathroom. The before photo is the day I took possession of the place. The bathroom was a moldy mess. I did this room myself. When I was younger I installed flooring and tile so learned how to do ceramic tile. That came in handy.

Bathroom ba.jpg

The kitchen was done by a carpenter. He makes everything from scratch so can customize to fit older houses which tend to have a lot of doors and windows.

Kitchen ba.jpg

Fortunately the previous owners hadn't done anything stupid with the hardwood such as carpeting so it was in good shape. They did seal over a dirty floor as you can see from the before photo. It took me a week to sand them down. Because the hardwood is laid in a pattern I couldn't use a drum sander and had to go with an oscillating one. It takes longer but it got the job done.

Floor ba.jpg

The biggest project by far was the window restoration. The house has 5 bay windows. I took each window apart, replaced the glass and points and reglazed them. That took about 2 years.

I've seen home improvement posts here and there on the forum and thought it would be nice to have a thread to show off your projects. Whether it be renovations, decorating or landscaping show your work here.
We have several. I’ll hire someone to do most of them. However, I did jab a few solar lights into the ground yesterday.

This hawthorn tree was cut down last year, but the stumps weren't dead and were still sending offshoots into the yard. Today I cut the three stumps to the ground, and then I'm going to drill holes in the stump and feed it stuff to finish it off.
PXL_20210719_181146708_copy_1249x1665.jpg

The sunflower circle is growing nicely, though a few got blown over in recent thunderstorms. Propping them back up with a pole and they should be fine.
PXL_20210719_165755649_copy_1696x1272.jpg

I love seeing what people do in their homes, and much of the finished results are as good or better than seasoned contractors. I've been around the business for a very long time, even when I was still in the Navy I was surrounded by contractors........ having a talented wife that worked construction. She used to be a top notch drywall finisher and tile layer until her rotator cuffs went out in both shoulders

I am a huge admirer of craftsman houses and also of straw bale houses. Would love to build one myself but it seems too intimidating.

Back
Top Bottom