• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Graham-Lieberman secrecy law

Orion

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Obama's support for the new Graham-Lieberman secrecy law - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

This is an editorial, but it contains all the facts of the situation. (Also, CNN is blocked here in China, so I couldn't search for the equivalent article.)

Regardless if you do or don't support the disclosure of the abuse photos, to me it's a cause of great concern that a President can retroactively modify a law in order to circumvent a court decision. The FOIA obviously has little pull.

Can someone with legal expertise explain to me why this is acceptable?

Here's another article on that topic:

Blogtalk: Obama and Detainee Photos - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

This is actually quite common. Congress regularly passes laws that overturn court decisions - the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, most Civil Rights legislation, Boumedine/Hamdan/Hamdi, etc. The court actually encourages it, as it makes Congress be clear about what it wants.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…