• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Good Old Days Of Segregation"

Judging by the context, I think it is more than safe to presume he meant it ironically. In the same way I have heard women say "In the good old days before we had the right to vote," or the like. The only problem is that irony only works when you are using it with people who know you and already like you or at the very least are not disposed to being ungenerous towards you.

But when making such ironic statements, it is important to know your audience, read the room, and, when you are in the presence of those ungenerous political adversaries who would wish to use every misstep you make against you it is best to be more careful with your jokes.
I’d chalk it up to not knowing the audience too.

The good old days of segregation is what Joe Biden so often returns to. He first ran for office campaigning as a white racial segregationist.

He's probably tired of getting compared to a southern slave owner. That's why they say shit like that.
His parents died when he was 22, but his family were not friendly with blacks. Graham was born in 1955. It wasn't until 1963 that schools here were desegregated. He was 8 then and his parents owned a restaurant and liquor store/bar and it was not welcoming to blacks.

Back
Top Bottom