• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Global Trust in Putin Drops to 22% – Pew

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

6/15/21
Russian President Vladimir Putin maintains a much lower level of global trust than his Western counterparts, according to a Pew Research Center poll published Monday. A median of 22% of respondents in 17 advanced economies including the United States said they have confidence in Putin “to do the right thing regarding world affairs,” Pew said. This year’s results mark a drop of one percentage point from 2020. Conversely, 29% of respondents said they have “not too much confidence” while 45% have no confidence at all in the Russian president on the global stage, according to the pollster. "Negative views of [Putin] are at or near historic highs in most places," the Pew Research Center said. Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping, whose global confidence is even lower at a median of 20%, now hold historically low favorability gaps with German Chancellor Angela Merkel (76%) and French President Emmanuel Macron (61%). U.S. President Joe Biden (74%) in his first year in office immediately overshot his predecessor Donald Trump, who saw even lower global confidence than Putin during his tenure.

A killer has low global trust numbers. Whooda thunkit?

No one trusts Putin?

Shocking I tell you, I need to go check if gravity is still working.

Did I miss something? What is the evidence or RW Americans trust in Putin?

What got me was that Trump got a lower rating than Putin. Hilarious. But nationalism has got the Trump Cult taking that fact as proof they're right.

Did I miss something? What is the evidence or RW Americans trust in Putin?

What got me was that Trump got a lower rating than Putin. Hilarious. But nationalism has got the Trump Cult taking that fact as proof they're right.
There is some evidence that they trust him as much as 3x more frequently than Democrats, although on the balance the rates are still low. I would not be surprised if Republicans trust Putin more than they trust Democrats. Hell, Donald Trump trusted Putin more than his own administration's intelligence agencies and appointed leadership so who really knows.

"Pew reported on Friday that 31 percent of Republicans have confidence in Putin to do "the right thing" in global affairs, compared with just 10 percent of Democrats. Overall, however, the average of 20 percent of Americans who are inclined to trust Putin constitutes a lower share than in most any other country queried by Pew in the spring 2019 survey."

There is some evidence that they trust him as much as 3x more frequently than Democrats, although on the balance the rates are still low. I would not be surprised if Republicans trust Putin more than they trust Democrats. Hell, Donald Trump trusted Putin more than his own administration's intelligence agencies and appointed leadership so who really knows.

"Pew reported on Friday that 31 percent of Republicans have confidence in Putin to do "the right thing" in global affairs, compared with just 10 percent of Democrats. Overall, however, the average of 20 percent of Americans who are inclined to trust Putin constitutes a lower share than in most any other country queried by Pew in the spring 2019 survey."

I did not investigate as to the fact that the US trust in Putin is "a lower share than in most any other country". When the diff is 2%, 20% in the US and 22% in the world, it seems unlikely that such would be true, as in 50% plus one. OK, the diff btx 20 and 22 is 10% or 11.1%, depending on which one is divided by the other. Still...just sayin'.

I would think it reliable that those 31% are the most die-hard Trump cult hardcore RW fanatics than the rest. Putin is on record, and by his action, as being against Western/American/Liberal Democracy. Which Trump and the cons confuse with being a Democrat. What a bunch of ignorant idiots.

There are many who lean right that are not of the radical far-right.

Yes. I'm implying that more people right of center appreciate authoritarian leadership style than those left of center, "radical" or not.

Back
Top Bottom