• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Game Hunter Trampled To Death By Elephant

They are not "They are nearly as smart as we are" not even close. They are intelligent as far as animals go, but this does not afford them "human" status.

Not where hunting them is legal.

Where hunting them is legal they are an economic resource

Slavery was once legal and represented a economic resource too. That didn't make it right either

Last edited:
Personally I go to the deer woods and hang at camp. I shoot lots of animals on my property that cause various harm to my ranch and livestock. But I don't travel to Kenya to shoot elephants. That's stupid.

Conservation and 'hunting' are their apologist excuses for it.

The love of killing is the real reason

Its why such people would actually want to travel thousands of miles to proactively kill such creatures is what I find so morally repugnant. Why not just shoot it with a camera ?

Last edited:

Those articles are true for Africa as a whole, but false for individual countries. Some African countries (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and possibly Zimbabwe) have very sustainable herds that need to be culled.

Though most of the people doing the culling (wealthy game hunters) have pleasant personalities, their numbers undoubtably include a few wealthy jerks. That does not detract from the money that they spend locally, nor does it detract from the needed culling they provide. Likewise alot of eco tourism attract wealthy customers. Undoubtably, their numbers include a few wealthy jerks as well- just with a different socio poltical spin.

No country propers by destroying its ecosystem. Its every bit as much interest for the poor farmer to protect their elephants as it is for anyone else. Moreover, a dog is simply not comparable to an elephant in terms of intelligence or emotional capability.

They are not "They are nearly as smart as we are" not even close. They are intelligent as far as animals go, but this does not afford them "human" status.

They are a lot smarter than you realize then. For example if an elephant wants to disable an electric fence, they don't typically just break the fence, they find the fence charger and destroy it. I am not saying they should have the right to vote, but they sure as hell ought to enjoy the right to live their life unless they are a clear danger to humans.

The Science Is In: Elephants Are Even Smarter Than We Realized [Video] - Scientific American
Elephant cognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No country propers by destroying its ecosystem.

Really? I would dispute that statement.
Its every bit as much interest for the poor farmer to protect their elephants as it is for anyone else.
well clearly it's not otherwise they would be assisting the police and prosecuting poachers or not poaching them themselves
Moreover, a dog is simply not comparable to an elephant in terms of intelligence or emotional capability.

Purely a subjective standard only you understand.

And the best way to do that is to give the animal an economic value. In countries where the number of elephants exceeds the local range's carrying capacity, that economic value means managed game hunts employing locals and spending cash on the local economy.

As for elephants are more intelligent than dogs, I dont buy it. We, of course, routinely euthanize dogs here every day.

It is my opinion. Animals are different from humans and I wouldn't put one above a human. But I'm a humanitarian, and believe all human life has value even people who do things I don't like.

Also, I think a lot of this big game hunts involve animals that were bred for the big game hunts. Not sure if this is one of those cases, but they do raise animals for this.

crime-psychobabble much? its not a crime just because a left wing american thinks it is

You can mock me all you want-I just laugh at Bambistas who are clueless about other countries and their natural resources

No, it is a crime, just like many things that once were legal and have finally been recognized for what they were. And killing an animal that is on the endangered list just for sport is a crime. There's nothing political about it.

It's OK to not have empathy for your fellow man, well maybe not "OK" per say, but it happens quite a lot. Some put animals above humans, but as a humanitarian I place value in all human life, even this guy. This had nothing to do with the ivory trade, so that's just deflection towards an appeal to emotion; though most of your argument here is just that. But yes, we get it. This guy got what he deserved, go elephant.

Poachers are a whole other subject, not the focus of the op which is about a hunter killed by a smart elephant because it didn't want to die! These elephants are endangered, which doesn't mean they should have the extra pressure of being hunted now.

Really? I would dispute that statement. well clearly it's not otherwise they would be assisting the police and prosecuting poachers or not poaching them themselves

Purely a subjective standard only you understand.

People commonly don't do what is in their own interest or their country's interest, that same farmer might mutilate his daughters genitals or try to maintain more cows than he can afford simply out of status. However, if he is just making a dollar a day it will be pretty cheap to compensate him for his loss.

Look I realize that there are conflicts between elephants and humans in Africa and obviously the elephant is going to be on the losing end of most of the conflicts. However, I don't think the knee jerk reaction should be its just another animal just kill it as though it were deer in your backyard eating your roses.

For Elephants in Zimbabwe, a Deeply Troubling Present and Future | passblue

This does not sound like culling but this sounds like massacring the elephants, in 7 years the number seems to have gone down by 37,000, the elephants in that region cannot survive another 7 years like

The herald of New Zealand has a piece on this hunt in Zimbabwe Jumbo population down 40pc | The Herald

Where it is written:

The national survey of Elephants in Zimbabwe: preliminary 2014 results show that elephant numbers have decreased by about 75% in the combined Matusadona and Chizarira areas.

For most the pure exhilaration of being out and about in an area controlled completely by the native animal population is something that will never be experienced. I'm not a big game hunting advocate. However, being out and about in Africa is something unforgettable. It's definitely not for most people. Too bad this fellow died, but he knew the risks. That's why he was there.

In all fairness though there are some countries where they are overpopulated for the reserves available to them, namely South Africa.

Again this has nothing to do with the thinning of herds for the welfare of the animals and man.

In the end they are still nowhere even close to human intelligence. So no, they are no smarter than I realize...

"This is the first experimental evidence for learned cooperative behavior in this socially sophisticated species," Reiss noted. Clayton said the findings support the theory "that cognitive abilities evolved independently in animals that are as very distantly related from us as elephants and crows." - Elephants Outwit Humans During Intelligence Test : Discovery News

An Elephant never forgets....

Just not worth that kind of hassle for me, tend to go after animals who's family wont have a vendetta against me forever.

He wasn't in a primeval wilderness, he was on a game reserve. I would love to go to Africa but lets call a spade a spade here. This guy was on what is little more than a canned hunt. If you want the true primeval wilderness experience, strap a pack on and head out to one of our large federal wilderness areas out west or up in Canada. Hell I have stood on glaciers with my son where we were days walk from the nearest road, and no locals drove us up there in a land rover, set up all our camps for us, and carted our gear around. If something happened or if the rare event we had an issue with a grizzly, the only way of getting help would be with a sat phone. That is a true primeval experience. Going on some canned hunt / luxury safari in Africa isn't. Its what wealthy westerners do when they want to pretend they are a badass.

The risks remain, especially in Africa, whether it's on a game reserve or not. There are large swaths of Africa designated as game reserves for purposes of protecting the wildlife. Of course, there are other areas that are as you describe. I've been in wilderness all over the place, including Africa - not hunting. I also hunt from time to time.

The hunt was in a remote area of Zimbabwe, a country where elephant populations are collapsing. The Number of Elephants in Parts of Zimbabwe Is Plunging - Bloomberg Business

I grew up hunting, everyone in my family hunts. I fish all the time but seldom hunt anymore. I agree there are areas in Africa that are true wilderness, but this guide was on a luxury game reserve where you spend nearly 2 grand a day just to stay there.

The threat is from "poachers" not legal hunts. Huge difference. The first line in your article...

Elephants are under threat from poachers in Zimbabwe

So you are now trying to compare legal sanctioned hunts to poaching?

No, I am saying that the argument you are using that these legal canned hunts are needed to thin the herd is not a valid argument for where this guide was working at in Zimbabwe.

When will this ridiculous pass time be banned?

Never, in the near future, but in the far future - yes - and lets hope that man develops enough to cause a "ban" to be un-necessary.
"pass time" = pastime ? right ?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…