• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Frist Backs Funding for Stem Cell Research

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Surprisingly, Sen. Frist has come out of his coma and has come out in favor of embryonic stem cell research! I never thought I'd see the day. His rapture right constituents must be $hitting in their pants. Even Frist understands the benefits of the research and the ridiculousness of the argument that unused and soon to be trashed embryonic stem cells being used for science is "murder."

How will the rapture right react? Stay tuned!

Source & the rest of the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/29/politics/29cnd-stem.html?pagewanted=2

I think he did this only to gain political support from liberal voters when he runs for president in 2008. He knows Bush is going to veto it so why not use it for political gain?

Arch Enemy said:
I hate that guy!
I know! This is like the first thing he's ever done that I know of that I agree with. Is his motivation altruistic or is it contrived?

How will the "Conservative Base" react to him? Nancy Reagan loves the guy now, but what about the zealots who are strongly against embryonic stem cell research?

My point of view is how can anyone seriously believe that using stem cells for research that would otherwise be trashed be considered the taking of a human life? It goes beyond simple logic or reasoning.

I look forward to September when the Senate will put forth the Stem Cell bill, which will pass and then Rove will exercise his very first veto. Of course it's bizarre that of all the stuff that's gone down in almost 5 years of Rove's presidency that this is the one bill that he considers vetoable?

It will be interesting to see if the Senate then overturns the veto. Should make for some interesting debates.

There are 3 arguments against embryonic stem cell research, and at least 2 of the arguments fit squarely in the conservative camp, which is why there is so much conservative opposition to this research.

1) The religious argument - embryonic stem cell research is morally wrong (ie social conservatives)

2) The political argument - embryonic stem cell research should be privately funded, not funded by the federal government (ie economic conservatives)

3) The scientific argument - adult stem cell research is more promising than embryonic stem cell research. Embryonic stem cell research hasn't produced any treatments, wheras adult stem cell research has. Both of the above groups use this as a justifying argument (although it isn't really much of an argument as it would be better to research both from a scientific standpoint as both adult and embryonic stem cells have different properties and potentials).

Key words:
has decided to support a bill to expand federal financing for embryonic stem cell research

You guys are acting like it was completely non-existant in our government before.

I think he did this only to gain political support from liberal voters when he runs for president in 2008. He knows Bush is going to veto it so why not use it for political gain?
If there is one thing about Bush that I have issues with, is the fact that his veto pen is still full of ink. There are no guarantee's with a veto from him. This might be Frist shooting himself in the foot.

Well, about bloody time.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…